A 'national flag ship' planned to replace Royal Yacht

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I think we're all debating the wrong thing here. The real question is what type of anchor will they use and why? :)

HHP 42, probably. Imported, of course, as we don’t seem to be able to forge large lumps of steel any more. The stern frame, rudder, main engines, alternators, most of the pumps and much of the electronics will be imported.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I think we're all debating the wrong thing here. The real question is what type of anchor will they use and why? :)
We are not allowed to debate anything political here anymore so that rules out "Fisherman" or "Plough"
And "Bruce" sounds dangerously like the Prime Minister. We dont want to go there!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Guess the Royal Marines had to have many uniforms to suit the various different Temperatures that the Royal Yacht ventured to ! Plus what tunes they played or whether marching or not !
Yes, and what time of day, whether Her Maj was on board. A load of nonsense. It was quite noticeable that the crew (officers and men) had far more elaborate rituals and fancier accommodation than the royal family.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I recall my Dad claiming that one of his friends in the Navy was appointed Captain of HMY Britannia on the grounds that the Duke of Edinburgh was a fan of his party trick, which involved performing a mime of erecting a deckchair.

Kukri

Visit site
I’ve had an idea for a new ship to do all the stuff that the “Britannia” used to do (let us note in passing that nobody ever expected the “Victoria and Albert I”, the “Victoria and Albert II”, or the “Victoria and Albert III” to be used to “sell British manufactures”, and indeed Queen Victoria badgered Parliament into giving her the “Victoria and Albert III” because she said the Tsar and the Kaiser had bigger and better yachts than she had.)

“Victoria and Albert I” , 1841, renamed “Osborne” and kept to run Victoria over to Osborne House on the Isle of Wight from her private railway station :

A2EBF0CF-B21A-4AF1-9E71-DD21DFB6D5D0.jpeg
“Victoria and Albert II”, 1855-1900:

84F432CD-E318-4070-B904-D4647DD418FC.jpeg

“Victoria and Albert III”:

C3B98301-179D-4E51-B10A-53E87C062613.jpeg

“Britannia”:

940AAAD7-8398-4811-82BE-E48C9B869E60.jpeg

Now, the Idea is in the next post...

Kukri

Visit site
Here’s my idea.

We need a smart little ship, to impress foreigners with, able to host a Royal Marines band and to give a good cocktail party, which is environmentally friendly because we must look to the future, and which won’t cost silly money to run, with three masts.

How about this one?
59988415-932C-4E4D-968B-ADD904ADAF1D.jpeg24CABED2-647F-4B45-B4DC-8AC4B66ADFC2.jpeg300C7ACB-5DDB-416E-B5F4-68D46E75B726.jpeg

The “Salamis”, the iron sister ship of the “Thermopylae”. Easy to build, not too big, and highly photogenic.

carlt

Visit site
The country has taken on levels of debt that can not be paid for in any meaningful time frame.
When you owe ten thousand pounds you've got a problem (solved by rinsing your party donors).
When you owe a trillion pounds the banks have a problem (solved by rinsing your gullible electorate).

Metabarca

Visit site
Frankly, building a national ship that is smaller and no more luxurious than many mega yachts around on the seas today is pointless. We have lots of smart embassies; what's wrong with using them for impressing the locals? As mentioned above, this is an idea 50 years out of date, and requiring skills that no longer exist in the UK. The only purpose of the ship is to pander to the baying classes.

Last edited:

RAI

Visit site
Boris wants his boat for Carrie to flounce in when they take it on holiday to the Caribbean at a donor's lucrative taxpayers contract

Kukri

Visit site
Boris wants his boat for Carrie to flounce in when they take it on holiday to the Caribbean at a donor's lucrative taxpayers contract

Presumably Dyson...

23F41410-63F2-49D5-B9AA-5793AB3C88E1.jpeg
(“Nahlin” in Carrick Roads in April)

and Bamford

1C65A216-2683-4E04-A1D4-216AD90912E9.png

(“Virginian” in Salcombe, last year)

both were prepared to pay Johnson and Co for That Which Must Not Be Named, but they both have more sense than to trust the Johnsons as charterers.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Frankly, building a national ship that is smaller and no more luxurious than many mega yachts around on the seas today is pointless. We have lots of smart embassies; what's wrong with using them for impressing the locals? As mentioned above, this is an idea 50 years out of date, and requiring skills that no longer exist in the UK. The only purpose of the ship is to pander to the baying classes.

My guess is that you been 'out the country' for too long

Our Majesty etc does not get by on Swank so no need for a Mega Yacht, thats far too 'down market. She gets by on Class, Breeding, Knowing whats right and whats not; not by making a killing in business deals etc etc.

Embasssies are not safe places anymore, are they ?

Guess that the Royal Family get by on Pomp and Cerermony, accepted good standing, etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.