a location based thread for Liveaboard Link

ariette

www.lyrasailing.com
This forum often contains great user generated content about specific locations- the recent thread about Rhodes Marina is a good example and this could be really useful as additional input to out-of-date cruising guides. I'm sure that Rod H's publishers are less than keen on up to the minute, crowd sourced, and forum moderated information but for the rest of us it could be very useful. Picking one's way through the poor search engine results on YBW.com is pretty hopeless and there are examples elsewhere- notably Active Captain in the US that start to show the way it could be done. That remains very basic outside of the Americas and is rather rules based. I rather like the rolling forum opinions approach (if not personal abuse) that happens here.

Within Liveaboard Link it would be pretty simple to have sub forums by country and then threads by location, updated as we all go along. Is this something worth talking to YBW about or is there a better solution outside of IPC? Anyone interested to discuss further?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
There are some good site around , example, cruiserwiki very good site but sad to say a lots of the info is out of date but we can only bland the people who uses it for that , like myself for not taken the time to supply the info .
If we want all this free info then we have to make the effort and help these site with good info .
Why cruising in Croatia this year I came across a site run by Wolfgang a German guy , give info on all the paid buoys and marina , shame it not been extended to anchorages , we found it very usefully and up to date ,and help us keep away from these places , but it only good info because he and other keep it a live .
So although your idea is good , I would guess if there was a sub forum in the Liveaboard link that in the begin there would be loads of info put on it but as time goes by it wouldn't be up dated , also one other problem is over the year I personal found when asking about a country that often the info come from hear say ,
West coast of Italy and Croatia are fine example .
www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Last edited:

affinite

Visit site

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Other than Captain's Mate, an excellent world-wide one already exists, http://www.cruiserswiki.org/index.php/World_Cruising_and_Sailing_Wiki We have used it extensively in Greece and find it extremely useful. There are a few omissions but in general most anchorages are included. If you sign up to it you can add your own comments and further destinations.
At a more local level, jimbsail.info deals with Europe and the Med from the Channel southwards. Those who subscribe (free) can see and post comments about any page, so effectively, each page is a forum about it's area. New facts or opinions from the comments are edited into the pages.

Each page also has links in context to more detail for each place, whether it's a marina web site, a local blog, or a list of anchorsges (Wolfgang's site is an example for Croatia, GoCati's map for the E Peloponnese, Digimap for incredible detail about the Channel Isles and nearby France).

ariette

www.lyrasailing.com
I do use captain's mate as a CA member and it's quite good but obviously not open to all users so less useful for crowd sourcing information. Cruising wiki should be the answer and I have recently updated some Croatian anchorages but I was the first person to have added to them since 2005 so it's not widely used by cruising sailors. If its the right forum, how can we encourage all of us to do more?

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Further to my last posting , sorry Jim I fouled to Mention your site , which is another good site , but again people need to keep you up dated with info .

Vic,

When updating a region I also research blogs and forums, do a Google search on the island/town/harbour, and inspect on Google earth. In other words, I research each place as if I was going to sail there next season. When I find a good blogger who's got stuff I didn't know about, I ask if they will review a draft written up from their blog info. Some very helpful people out there if you ask!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I am sure there are lot of very know how people out there Jim .
I find the most useful info come from talking to people and I have spend many a night do so , given as well as getting good info and made some really good friends on the way .
Am example , we been looking for camping gas and some very helpful people on YBO have given us some ideas where we can get it , after trying two of them places with out any luck , we met up with a French couple who been looking at my site getting the link from YBO ( yes French people also read YBO ) and they told me what garage to go to and let the guy know we wasn't in any hurry , one day later we got our gas bottle filled , the guy took it to the refilling station on our behalf .