A helping hand

zoidberg

Visit site
I hadn't anticipated ever wanting to make use of a 'selfie stick' - and I guess I'm not alone in that - but I recently found a need to hold a smartphone at further than arm's length.
Y'see, I'm struggling to fit a bowsprit onto my ould project-boat. That has me seeking to bolt one of these fancy Selden bow-ring thingys right forward, ahead of the existing hefty forestay deck fitting.

53865999270_1d4bc99c48_w.jpg

It's been easy enough to drill through from above, to permit passing a trio of 8mm bolts down through the foredeck which will hold down said Selden ring thingy. The problem is one of getting fingers to those bolts, underneath, to fit the necessary nuts.

And it's proving really difficult. For there's not a lot of room.

53865814938_7bcee74df6_w.jpg

That space might look quite accessible - but it ain't! It's considerably smaller than it looks. I can get my head in there. I can get one arm in there, but that's it! I need to stretch my fingers over 1 metre - and I can manage about half that. Further, the underdeck right forward is not as thickly reinforced as it is underneath the forestay fitting, so it's 'recessed' a bit. I've been trying for some time to gauge the depth of that recess, and thus how much grp-sheet packing I need to emplace. That's what the bolt-with-rings is about. And that's why I've needed to buy the 'selfie stick'.

53865811678_8d8d778fa8.jpg

But there's light on the horizon. I've persuaded the young girlie who helps with Milady's garden to squirm in there. She's a bendy sort of racing-snake and she fits. She can get past the semi-bulkhead, where I can't, and put her fingers where they'll need to be to spin on locknuts. I just need to ensure she really understands....

zoidberg

Visit site
I'll use the wife's young and lissom gardener lass, thanks, Kevin, who's keen to help. She's here - and she's cheap. Just so long as she doesn't get 'em crossthreaded....