A GOOD MARINE MECHANIC TO REBUILD 2 X VOLVO PENTA AQ170 ENGINES

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
The B16-B18 and B20 engines from Volvo are notorious for their reliability. (B for Bensin btw, D for Diesel in their naming convention).
Unfortunately many were fitted to bots as sea water cooled, killing manifolds and more.

When in need of a 6 cyl. they added two cylinders to the B20 block and named it B30 (for 3-litre) but it never even got near the reputation of the 4-cylinder.

Later engines, OHC, DOHC, slanted and whatnot are simply different beasts, not too bad but not as sweet running as the Pushrod series.
The V6 B27 joint venture with Peugeot and Renault (known as PRV) was no great success either.

GM-based engines are a separate branch, only used under the Penta name.
Also one of a kind was the Yamaha V8 (called B8444) used in Volvo cars.

The straight 5-cylinder engines made history. Called B5xxxx. So much so that Ford, after owning Volvo, took the engine and put it in Focus, Mondeo, S-Max and probably more.

If memory serves.

alandalus11

Visit site
failing that is there anyone here that can reccomend a straight forward engine swap for both engines i would like the same horse power obviously and as i dont have money to throw away I am looking for the most cost effective way to do this .

kind regards
Bazoff72
You will always be throwing money away when it comes to boating. Unless you have the skills to fix and repair your own engines I think you are looking easily at £15 to 20K for a refurbed or having this one repaired if you start getting professionals involved.

QBhoy

Visit site
The B16-B18 and B20 engines from Volvo are notorious for their reliability. (B for Bensin btw, D for Diesel in their naming convention).
Unfortunately many were fitted to bots as sea water cooled, killing manifolds and more.

When in need of a 6 cyl. they added two cylinders to the B20 block and named it B30 (for 3-litre) but it never even got near the reputation of the 4-cylinder.

Later engines, OHC, DOHC, slanted and whatnot are simply different beasts, not too bad but not as sweet running as the Pushrod series.
The V6 B27 joint venture with Peugeot and Renault (known as PRV) was no great success either.

GM-based engines are a separate branch, only used under the Penta name.
Also one of a kind was the Yamaha V8 (called B8444) used in Volvo cars.

The straight 5-cylinder engines made history. Called B5xxxx. So much so that Ford, after owning Volvo, took the engine and put it in Focus, Mondeo, S-Max and probably more.

If memory serves.
5 cylinder engines were and still are amazing things in cars and 4x4’s. Diesel and petrol versions. No doubt..but I suppose that doesn’t always mean they are as good, when they are thrown into the marine environment. Many have fallen short of success there…despite being exceptional on the road. The d3 marine version has been known to be problematic to some owners for sure. The older 4 cylinder Volvo engines with the cam belt and less than reputable cylinder head durability (in a boat), proved the same. I’d have a GM tried and tested lump instead and any day. My preference at least.

ChromeDome

Visit site
And of course by Mercruiser and Yamaha too. Only GM thing that was a disaster in a boat..was the notorious 3.7l or 470 horror of a thing. Yuck !
Yes. Early days saw some Renault low HP engines under the Mercruiser label too. Not good either.

When referring to "under the Penta name" I presumed Volvo as in the OP heading.

When looking at #23 you notice that out of four offered Volvo engines only one was a Volvo - the rest (including the standard 2x225 hp fitment) were GM's.

QBhoy

Visit site
Yes. Early days saw some Renault low HP engines under the Mercruiser label too. Not good either.

When referring to "under the Penta name" I presumed Volvo as in the OP heading.

When looking at #23 you notice that out of four offered Volvo engines only one was a Volvo - the rest (including the standard 2x225 hp fitment) were GM's.
Yeah. You’re spot on there I’d say. Was the diesel there a GM too ? Wasn’t certain around that. Was in my mind that a ford engine crept in there around those days on some boats like this. A variation of the Windsor 5.0 and 5.7/5.8 engine. There was certainly an AQ v8 around them that might have been ford derived. Can’t mind quite which in particular it was called right now though.AQ240 might have been the ford 5.7/5.8 maybe. Not an option in this regards and boat perhaps, but a little known bit of trivia perhaps. 😂

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Some good information and advice within these comments! Post #15 has the situation pretty much on the nail! These types of projects need to be taken on by people who have the required mechanical skills themselves, or has a very good reliable friend who can do the work. Twenty years ago I had a birchwood with an AQ145A in matched to a 280 drive. Yep, one of those 4 cylinder Volvos referred to above! Well what a pain in the arse that was - only had to look at it the wrong way and it would spring a water leak somewhere different. Too many bits of plastic and metal sealed with O rings as I remember! It also managed to get water into the rear most cylinder somehow and seized. Got fed up and swapped it out for a second hand 431. That’s the 4.3litre V6, which as mentioned in the other comments was a lovely smooth engine and far more reliable. I picked up the 431 for about £750 at the time. There used to be plenty of the 4 cylinder car engines in the breakers yards, not sure about 6 cylinder jobies. I note from the advert for this vessel that the non-running engine needs a replacement head.

QBhoy

Visit site
Some good information and advice within these comments! Post #15 has the situation pretty much on the nail! These types of projects need to be taken on by people who have the required mechanical skills themselves, or has a very good reliable friend who can do the work. Twenty years ago I had a birchwood with an AQ145A in matched to a 280 drive. Yep, one of those 4 cylinder Volvos referred to above! Well what a pain in the arse that was - only had to look at it the wrong way and it would spring a water leak somewhere different. Too many bits of plastic and metal sealed with O rings as I remember! It also managed to get water into the rear most cylinder somehow and seized. Got fed up and swapped it out for a second hand 431. That’s the 4.3litre V6, which as mentioned in the other comments was a lovely smooth engine and far more reliable. I picked up the 431 for about £750 at the time. There used to be plenty of the 4 cylinder car engines in the breakers yards, not sure about 6 cylinder jobies. I note from the advert for this vessel that the non-running engine needs a replacement head.
My very point and case. You’re one of likely countless, who did exactly this. Time gone by has proven that this is the way to go, should the situation arise. Far too many examples I know of, around guys stubbornly persevering with engines like those engines you had and a couple of other bad apples similar…absolute sure means of throwing money away, not to mention the inevitable days on the boat with family ruined, tows home and distrust of the boat thereafter. Just throw in a gm in there. Problem solved.

ChromeDome

Visit site
Yeah. You’re spot on there I’d say. Was the diesel there a GM too ? Wasn’t certain around that. Was in my mind that a ford engine crept in there around those days on some boats like this. A variation of the Windsor 5.0 and 5.7/5.8 engine. There was certainly an AQ v8 around them that might have been ford derived. Can’t mind quite which in particular it was called right now though.AQ240 might have been the ford 5.7/5.8 maybe. Not an option in this regards and boat perhaps, but a little known bit of trivia perhaps. 😂
AQ190 was a Ford 5.0. Think 5.8 was also used.

And then they inherited OMC's Cobra drives later to become their own SX after having rectified some flaws.

The "D4" diesel referred to most likely is Volvo AQD40A (1977-). I do not remember them ever using GM diesels..

On the diesel line, they always used their own products. Tested and tried a lot in tractors, generators and industrial setups. Plus trucks, off-road equipment etc. Then marinised- a procedure long gone as nowadays they are introduced for marine almost instantly after being marketed for land use.

Smaller engines were sourced from Perkins and others (Deutz) have been making/helping with D4/D6

stelican

Visit site

And then they inherited OMC's Cobra drives later to become their own SX after having rectified some flaws.

The "D4" diesel referred to most likely is Volvo AQD40A (1977-). I do not remember them ever using GM diesels..

On the diesel line, they always used their own products. Tested and tried a lot in tractors, generators and industrial setups. Plus trucks, off-road equipment etc. Then marinised- a procedure long gone as nowadays they are introduced for marine almost instantly after being marketed for land use.

Smaller engines were sourced from Perkins and others (Deutz) have been making/helping with D4/D6
[/QUOTE

Have you seen the Volvo Penta book published in the early 1980s.The Volvo penta aquamatic boat engine. "The Mouse that roared" It lists all of their engines and drives up to and including the introduction of the AQ40 diesel with a huge amount of technical specs.
There were also details of the Aq170 to racing spec including waterpiercing /streamlined drive

Last edited:

QBhoy

Visit site

Yeah. Nor do I.

ChromeDome

Visit site
There were also details of the Aq170 to racing spec including waterpiercing /streamlined drive
Would be the "R" version

Model HP Cyl From to year

BB 170 A 170 6 1969 1972
BB 170 B 170 6 1972 1973
BB 170 C 141 6 1973 1978
AQ 170A 170 6 1969 1972
AQ 170B 170 6 1972 1973
AQ 170C 160 6 1973 1978
AQ 170D 160 4 1978 1980
AQ 170R 200 6 1970 1975

1702100400438.png