A GOOD MARINE MECHANIC TO REBUILD 2 X VOLVO PENTA AQ170 ENGINES

bazoff72

Visit site
Hi all ,
I am new here so I hope I am posting this in the right place ?

I have just Purchased a FAIRLINE 32 SEDAN 1978 FLYBRIDGE and bought her as seen . she has 2 x volvo penta AQ170 engines in her with out drives and only 1 runs .

I am wondering if anyone here can help/put me in touch with a good marine engineer / mechanic that might be able to rebuild the engines for me ? I am in the essex area in south east of #England .

failing that is there anyone here that can reccomend a straight forward engine swap for both engines i would like the same horse power obviously and as i dont have money to throw away I am looking for the most cost effective way to do this .

Any help would be greatfully received

kind regards
Bazoff72

Attachments

• s-l1600 (12).jpg
    s-l1600 (12).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 32

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I'd think seriously about how much time and money you want to invest in that boat before you start...
I’m inclined to agree.
Suggest that you work back from a maximum value of your boat of, say £25k, and stay focussed on that.
Best of luck nevertheless

ps
I don’t know your boat but my rough estimate is based on a similar Sealine 305 (32ft) Flybridge. A list of selling prices attached
Sealine 305 Statesman - Brick7 Boats

Last edited:

[165042]

Visit site
I would think sold as seen with only one working engine £10k to buy? You'll easily spend £10k rebuilding an engine with lifts, crane etc. Twin outdrive servicing anything from £1-£5k depending on condition. You could be in for £30k before it's running as it should.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Agree with this value approach.

Honest budgets for investment, upgrades and operation (service & maintenance) vs. the sale value of the boat when done.

Tbh the straight 6 B30 Volvo engines never were known for much good, neither as a car nor a marine engine.
The AQ170 was manufactured only from 1969 to 1972. HP by then was measured on the flywheel whereas later engines were measured on the prop shaft, meaning 20-30% more power at the prop.

Depending on the reusability of the drives, a repower project might kick the blow your budget.

Thinking about it: What kind of use would you be powering for? River pottering or more ambitious?

ashtead

Visit site
As you will soon find if new to boating marine suppliers even if carrying the brand of names like Volvo are notoriously unreliable .that said you might be asking on an owners group for Fairline which might exist however engineers don’t travel far so ask in your marina or club in your area for suggestions. I think by sound of it your needs rather depend on understanding the fault -is the engine needing tinkering or complete uneconomic replacement? We found our engineer by word of mouth in marina having been badly let down by the Volvo appointed rip off merchants in port solent

oldgit

Visit site
I'd think seriously about how much time and money you want to invest in that boat before you start...
100%.
Welcome to the Forum. :)
The is nothing in the world more likely to rob you blind than a old boat, many of us been down that slipway and still got the scars.
Would seriously suggest that you get a good idea of what the estimated total restoration costs are likely to be and then add a bit for for the stuff that will turn up in the process of investigation.
Pay close attention to the bits you cannot see, when were those outdrives last worked on, anything more than a couple of years almost certainly means removal and refurb if you are lucky .
When were the "risers" last replaced, has any water salt or rain filled up the bilges and submerged the starter motors, sometimes there will still be a tide mark left , even after any canny seller has pumped it dry again .
Repeat. Do not spend real money on anything before getting a good idea of what needs to done first, once you start down that slippery slope it becomes harder and harder to stop spending.
The hardest thing, finding somebody who knows what they are doing, these geezers are like hens teeth and will be booked up until week they retire.
Anybody body who has mate or knows somebody who can "look" next week needs to be carefully checked out before you entrust them with your outdrives or money.
These forums might save your sanity , do a search for numbers of boaters who start out with such keeness only to eventually call it quits ..
A Princess 35 comes to mind.
Good Luck

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Welcome to the forum 😎
Can’t help you with your problems....but I disagree with a lot of what’s said. This is a hobby....you will always sink more money into it than it’s worth (apologies if it’s a commercial venture)....and we always work on the boat in hand...rather than take the most logical step of buying a runner. Old cars, old boats (I was going to say old houses but you have a good chance of making a profit) are all sinkholes for money, time and effort. But it’s a nice looking boat and fixed up you will get a lot of enjoyment out of her👍

ean_p

Visit site
Does it have to be a marine engineer? You may be able to get an independent agricultural engineer more reasonably. After all, it's just an engine with a couple of bits bolted on.
This is definitely the way to go....a good truck mechanic will sort your engines for a percentage of the cost of a'marine' engineer.

Freebee

Visit site
These types of projects are commonly bought by those with mechanical skills who could fettle the engines and drives paying only for parts and ignoring any labour costs because that is essentially free, if you have not got the skills and want too buy in the expertise, clearly costs will rise hugely into the stratosphere because once you start it never stops particular where engines are of great age like these. and this is why the boat was for sale the owner realised his pride and joy was going to turn into a money pit.

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi. Some of these non GM 4 cylinder old VP Petrol a are not much more than marinised units from the old Volvo cars. The ones with timing belts aren’t great in the world of boats though. Proven to be problematic time and time again. 151/171s (or something similar and without looking up exactly) I’m sure fall into that area really. Many guys have replaced them with 3.0 GM engines and never looked back. After all. They aren’t the most numerous and most successful engine ever to be put in a boat, worldwide. Rough and ready../but can’t argue with their half a century track record and just sheer numeracy. Be a cast iron better notion than rebuilding what wasn’t an ideally suited engine for a boat in the first place.
But…all that said. There was an exception to the rule. There was a 170 something, that was a 6 cylinder lump. These were nice things and less problematic than the fairly differing 4 cylinder units mentioned above. Is it a pair of these you have ? Excuse the ignorance on the exact numbering around the models. Just know that the closed cooling 4 cylinder models that are famous for timing belt and blowing heads…aren’t to be given a second chance.
If she’s the pair of straight 6 things though. I’d be torn between rebuilding quite an obscure and not commonly found engine (and the potential cost as a result)…and glassing in some new engine mount patterns (along with a couple of other mods)…to allow you to throw in a pair of 4.3 gms. More pitch on the props should see you right. But again…back to the 3.0 GM’s. Pound for pound (literally)..they are likely going to be about as powerful as the old units as they are..and not as much of an intrusive modification required to allow the reception of them. Likely a little less refined than a lovely pair of straight 6’s…no doubt…but again..bombproof, economical and cheap

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
How about make the engine room into an extra bedroom and put one or two outboards on the back

QBhoy

Visit site
How about make the engine room into an extra bedroom and put one or two outboards on the back
Funny you mention such a thing Bouba. Just the other day, I was made aware of a fella that has ditched the old and terrible VP Petrol inboards from his lovely old princess/pilgrim 25…and unbelievably…made a fine job on the adaptations, allowing a single outboard…but that’s not the unbelievable part. The two outboards he is torn between and had on trial, was a 300hp Evinrude and then a ridiculous mercury 400r. Fair play, I say. Nearly 50 mph from her without fine tuning reported.

Freebee

Visit site
outboard(s) is interesting but there are the costs........ not only of the outboard, but transom strengthening, then the outboard mount, steering mods instrument changes etc etc its all going to add up, the cost will quickly exceed value ....then insurance will they cover such mods???