A game changer watermaker if its as good as claimed.

pvb

Visit site
Interesting proposition. Slightly confused about the membrane life, they talk about 500 litres, which isn't a lot, so replacement membranes would be popular items I guess.

The "save the world" message is less convincing. There may well be 2 billion people without access to clean water, but how many of them have access to seawater - note that the Quench only treats seawater.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
This seems to be aiming more at the Disaster recovery sector. I am in Rotary and for a while we supported filtastraws which allowed one person to suck up filthy water and through various steps made it safe and drinkable. A variation of it is in our Shelter Boxes. I agree with pvb. The need is usually for clean decontaminated water, not desalinated. Doesnt seem that practical for sailing.

greeny

Visit site
Maybe ok for the liferaft grabbag. Not sure it would be relevant for everyday use given the points already made above, short membrane life and hand pumping to produce max 3 lltres per hour. Although if you can manage on 3 litres each day :) , a membrane would last 166 days.

Norman_E

Visit site
Grab bag..
It might be difficult to pump it in a liferaft because its designed so that you hold it down by standing on it whilst working the pump handle. My thought is that it could be a real boon if you are half way across the Atlantic and find that your fresh water tank has become contaminated. As for LittleSister's comment there was some Jewish guy who did the trick with fresh water about 2,000 years ago, but he did not tell anyone else how to do it. :)

Kelpie

Visit site
I'm sure somebody could take the guts of the thing and motorise it. As a 12v low power device that burbles away in the background on sunny days using excess solar power, I would certainly be very, very interested.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Slightly confused about the membrane life, they talk about 500 litres, which isn't a lot,
What's to be confused about? Confuson is the last thing you'd be feeling after 10 whole days solid pumping...

I'd say it's plenty.

Though at 2l/hr I wonder if it keeps up with sweat production in tropical heat.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
There have been manual RO devices before - it's hardly a new idea. The verdict on previous ones was that you'd sweat out as much as you produced; that a manual RO system wasn't practical. Operating a pump for an hour isn't likely to be easy! I must admit that I don't see why they didn't throw in a small motor and make it work off 12volts. But perhaps a motor with enough torque to operate the pump might be too expensive.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Two litres per hour from 55 bar? I wonder what sort of membrane area that needs? Ah well, good luck to them. Doesn't look as if they have actually made one yet.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
There have been hand pumped desalinators on the market before, I contemplated putting one in a life raft once but didn't it relied on being squeezed.
To get that 2 L/Hr requires constant pumping at a fair old rate. It would be a case of needs must. If you were doing that work you would probably need a litre of the water to stop dehydration.

Artic pilot beat me too it.

Visit site
Unless your liferaft has a bench with a solid top you'll be hard put to operate the thing at all, never mind for hours at a time.

BTW why does the report have N/A in almost every box?