A game changer watermaker if its as good as claimed.

Bouba

Visit site
There have been hand pumped desalinators on the market before, I contemplated putting one in a life raft once but didn't it relied on being squeezed.
To get that 2 L/Hr requires constant pumping at a fair old rate. It would be a case of needs must. If you were doing that work you would probably need a litre of the water to stop dehydration.

Artic pilot beat me too it.
It’s certainly a job for the cabin boy but why would you have him in your life raft?

pvb

Visit site
Call me a cynic, but the whole thing has a hint of scam about it. To start with, it's improbably cheap at £48, but then they have the "buy one, we'll donate one" pledge, so the price is actually £24. The offer is designed to appeal to the "woke" generation. All the talk of 2.2 billion people without access to fresh water - but they mostly don't have access to reasonably clean seawater either, and that's all the QuenchSea can work with. Then there's the "spread the word and earn 7% commission on what your friends spend" offer. I'll be surprised if this one is a game changer.

Sealong

Visit site
Call me a cynic, but the whole thing has a hint of scam about it. To start with, it's improbably cheap at £48, but then they have the "buy one, we'll donate one" pledge, so the price is actually £24. The offer is designed to appeal to the "woke" generation. All the talk of 2.2 billion people without access to fresh water - but they mostly don't have access to reasonably clean seawater either, and that's all the QuenchSea can work with. Then there's the "spread the word and earn 7% commission on what your friends spend" offer. I'll be surprised if this one is a game changer.
Alright I will: you are a cynic and I feel sorry for you.

MarkCX

Visit site
Maybe this shows that existing watermakers are overpriced? ?

The £48 won’t be the final retail price anyway. There are a limited number at that price. Yes one is being donated too, but that doesn’t mean it’s £24 each. The donated will will be at cost price for the manufacturer.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Some time ago there was a low cost propeller towed water maker that never worked and was discussed here.

The real issue is the lack of knowledge of the science and engineering required for a proper watermaker that really works.

It is too easy to make claims that are not independently substatented at a too lower cost to attract those who don't understand the science

MarkCX

Visit site
Fair enough. I don’t have any need for a water maker at any price point, if I did then I’d take a punt on it at that price. Which is rather the point of crowd-funding. Getting a substantial number of units out to your target market even though you might not make a profit on those initial units can have benefits, especially if the product does meet expectations. Many crowd-funded projects don’t deliver as promised; I guess we’ll just have to wait and see with this one.

Pete7

Visit site
If you have arms and wrists like a silverback gorilla they might be useful.

Or a solar panel and a bilge pump motor.

Also, they say it will produce water with a TDS of less than 1000. So a reading of 998 is okay, or is it? I thought the current WM produce water with a TDS in the low hundreds.

Pete