A cruise from Gravesend to Kingston

davidlhill

Visit site
Hi all,

being the owner of a 26m barge, with a max draught of 1.5m and air draught of 3m I am pondering a spring cruise from Gravesend to Kingston.

Bridges don't seem to be an issue - however i am more than nervous about finding overnight moorings! After all, not every mooring bouy can handle 125 tons..... AM I allowed to simply drop anchor higher up the river (obviously not in central London!).

Any comments, thoughts etc appreciated.

David

Bran

Visit site
There is a hotel boat Magna Carta, regularly moors at the public moorings at Hampton Court which is a few minutes upstream from Kingston. I think it’s about 35 metres long, one of the largest boats regularly moving on the upper Thames. It’s itinery takes it up to Windsor and onto Henley on a regular basis.
No need to anchor, cannot remember the last time I saw any boat at anchor on the upper Thames away from a festival or show.
Also have a look at Africa Queen, another hotel boat based at Mapleduram, cruises up to Wallingford.

davidlhill

Visit site
Are you asking for PLA or EA waters?
A bit of both, really.

As it's a cruise I'm not inn a rush. I know just outside St Katherines Dock there is the Hermitage moorings - but is there something around Chelsea? Further up is it just a case of finding a bit of riverbank and tying up? Does my draught cause an issue?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Hi , not been up the tidal Thames for many years now but there were Landing Stages for use by Local Tripper Craft etc , up at least to Hamersmith ; are they still available ?
A landing Stage gives one the oportunity to strech one legs , go shopping for supplies etc

Perhaps the present Tidal Thames authority are the best to contact about such facilities

Might just mention , as your Craft is of a fair length ; that the Bridges were not lined up to make navigating them easy ; ships have to start making ground sideways after leaving each bridge in order to line up their next passage through the next bridge ; easier when punching against a current but requires caution if current is under ones keel

Pump-Out

Visit site
A bit of both, really.

As it's a cruise I'm not inn a rush. I know just outside St Katherines Dock there is the Hermitage moorings - but is there something around Chelsea? Further up is it just a case of finding a bit of riverbank and tying up? Does my draught cause an issue?

Hermitage Wharf do have visitor berths, you will need to book in advance. Be warned that it can be bliming rough there as the clippers pass. Your displacement will aid more than most.

You are too big for the buoys outside St Kats. Chelsea is now a clipper berth, so no longer available to you. Imperial Wharf may be able to take you, but don't count on it. You may be able to book a barge mooring with the PLA, perhaps Battersea Church Barge Roads. On balance Hermitage might be best, if you can get in. I would advise against going to anchor anywhere on the tideway; in any case it's not allowed in most places.

Once upstream of Teddington you may anchor, clear of the fairway, for any period not exceeding 24 hours.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
The point above about the bridges is very important.

That's quite a large craft. Presumably the skipper has plenty of hours of experience helming the boat.

I've not taken anything that big up but years ago I took a pair of narrow boats with the tide and it was impressive how much of a set you get onto some of the bridges. You really do go sideways at times.

Bridge strikes are a very real possibility and you would want to be 100% on knowledge of how the boat handles and how to correct it if you end up on the wrong line, what to do if one of the big orange GPS marine tugs turns up outward bound at a bridge and what the lights on the bridge mean etc. VHF of course is needed.

Other things to bear in mind include condition of the diesel tanks. Even large craft will be moving about quite a lot in the pool of London due to the high density of traffic and large wash put out by some of the commuter boats. One of the common problems is condensation or dirt in fuel tanks being drawn into the filters and blocking them.

Not a problem for boats which are used regularly but if the barge has been sitting in the same place for a while it could be a bit dodgy. Worth checking anyway.

It's a nice trip. Moorings above Teddington lock will be ok and Hampton court.

Not sure about tideway stops for the boat. Possibly Brentford dock?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Surely got to be barge forum somwhere. ?

Yea suppose so , BUT , I guess most barges dont go anywhere often or if ever at all ?

Never mind the Thames for a Jolly , cripes the Skipper must be a Game Fella (or Woman ?)

But having served on the Thames Westminster to Barnes for a few years , might say it was the most interesting time on the water that I ever had ; mind you we were looking for trouble, drugs , jumpers , cut off by the incoming tides , boat engines failing , exceeding the speed limits , suspicious Craft , suspicious behaviour , swimmers in difficulties , shore side fires /damaging property , scrotes using the foreshore to evade detection by MPolice ; yea interesting and eventfull times for sure

Might also suggest that any craft , especially a lengthy one , best to wear ones fenders at all times , would help if broaching a Bridge Structure (they ARE SOLID) plus when /if tied up alongside jetty pontoon etc , other craft might have cause to 'come alongside' and secure to your craft ; anyways do hope you can/ do make the trip its really adventurous

davidlhill

Visit site
Thanks to all for your comments (Captain Popeye - does my avatar look like I could be a woman?!)

I have had plenty of helping experience - but NOT of my barge! I plan to mess about for a while around Gravesend to get used to her..

Good point about mucky diesel. When I took her across channel sludge blocked the fuel line just south of the Goodwin Sands. Embarrassing. I have yet to find anybody who'll come to gravesend, drain my tanks, clean them, replace the fuel for a sensible price.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Thanks to all for your comments (Captain Popeye - does my avatar look like I could be a woman?!)

I have had plenty of helping experience - but NOT of my barge! I plan to mess about for a while around Gravesend to get used to her..

Good point about mucky diesel. When I took her across channel sludge blocked the fuel line just south of the Goodwin Sands. Embarrassing. I have yet to find anybody who'll come to gravesend, drain my tanks, clean them, replace the fuel for a sensible price.

Well Skipper david , you might ave a good point there , but in these 'uncertain' times I understand that appearances could be missleading , or man leading , owing to some quirk that we can choose our own leanings or abilities to suit one's ambitions at the time ?

Yes when departing the Thames many ,any moons ago the fuel in carbureters kept logging the engine , to drain and clean the fuel tank was gona be a bgr , so fitted up a tempoary fuel tank and filled it with clean fresh fuel (TVO actually) and ran off that tempoary tank untill the main tank could be removed and emptied /cleaned out . The wave actions stirred up the seddiment in the existing fuel tanks , as my craft had spent a few years up-river allowing for the sediment to settle happily at the bottom of the tank ;

Enjoy your trip , its well well worth it

davidlhill

Visit site
Well Skipper david , you might ave a good point there , but in these 'uncertain' times I understand that appearances could be missleading , or man leading , owing to some quirk that we can choose our own leanings or abilities to suit one's ambitions at the time ?

So true. I'm a competent male cyclist, but reckon if I declare in a few Sundays time that I actually feel like a woman I might clean up in the women's race.......

Yes when departing the Thames many ,any moons ago the fuel in carbureters kept logging the engine , to drain and clean the fuel tank was gona be a bgr , so fitted up a tempoary fuel tank and filled it with clean fresh fuel (TVO actually) and ran off that tempoary tank untill the main tank could be removed and emptied /cleaned out . The wave actions stirred up the seddiment in the existing fuel tanks , as my craft had spent a few years up-river allowing for the sediment to settle happily at the bottom of the tank ;

Enjoy your trip , its well well worth it

That is a strangely simple and yet genius idea. I was going to fit a Racor fuel/water separator to aid the existing filters that the channel trip proved were not up to the job. Maybe I should still do it but move the cleaned fuel into a new clean small tank. I thought.

I have two side by side 5,000 litre tanks - one for the engine, the other for heating. Neither have inspection hatches. Maybe I should drain the engine tank, then make an inspection hatch high up so when there are only dregs left I can stick in a pressure washer gun and really clean it.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
So true. I'm a competent male cyclist, but reckon if I declare in a few Sundays time that I actually feel like a woman I might clean up in the women's race.......

That is a strangely simple and yet genius idea. I was going to fit a Racor fuel/water separator to aid the existing filters that the channel trip proved were not up to the job. Maybe I should still do it but move the cleaned fuel into a new clean small tank. I thought.

I have two side by side 5,000 litre tanks - one for the engine, the other for heating. Neither have inspection hatches. Maybe I should drain the engine tank, then make an inspection hatch high up so when there are only dregs left I can stick in a pressure washer gun and really clean it.

Well thank you kind SIR , thank you ; might also suggest that you consider removing the old tank (s) and replacing them with clean newish tanks with capacity more suited to your needs /requirement ; maybe install a couple of tanks so that you can can fill /refill them as needed ? not much point in carrying arould unnecessary weight of fuel ; BUT of course carrying more that you need is a wise and prudent decision ; perhaps plan you voyages to fill /top up the tanks(s) on your way ; in that way I guess you will fill up with fresh clean fuels

Maybe that the old fitted duel tanks capacity far outweigh your cruisng ranges ?

Anyways like your Lycra outfits , most appealing on a young male cyclist . might be even more appealing on a woman though ?

Mark26

Visit site
It sounds to me that with regard to fuel you may be worrying about a problem which you might not have. Is there a clear run from the filler to the tank?

i.e. does the filler cap lead vertically directly into tank or is there a filler tube which makes horrible twists and turns before it reaches the tank?

In case of the former you can carefully, so as not to stir the fuel up, drop a hose or better still a rigid pipe directly into the tank, all the way to the bottom. Do it gently, then pump some fuel out into a container to see if it’s clear and clean. Ideally you want at least a 2 litre bottle full, maybe an old water bottle, leave it to settle overnight and have a look.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
If you mean the barge roads opposite the entrance to the royal docks then I think you would probably get moved on by the PLA.

It is an active mooring. Jetty roads I think it's called.

I like using the "myshiptracking" AIS website. It has a replay function which is quite clever. Does cover the gallions reach area of the River.

Not been down there myself by boat but I think with it being a fairly high density waterway it would be unlikely you would be able to stop and wait somewhere unless it was a yacht club or a mooring.

Interesting subject.