A boat Inearly bought

Wansworth

Visit site
R.D.Graham wrote a book “Rough Passage” in a yacht that its name escapes me now but in 1977 it was lying off the pub up the River Medina and I put off in the ferry to have a look.At 5000 pounds it was within my budget.It was a 25 footer and in need of work.The one thing that still sticks in my mind was the cupboard with doors that had stained glass.I didn’t buy it but several years later someone wrote an article in PBOabout its restoration.

Frogmogman

Visit site
R.D.Graham wrote a book “Rough Passage” in a yacht that its name escapes me now but in 1977 it was lying off the pub up the River Medina and I put off in the ferry to have a look.At 5000 pounds it was within my budget.It was a 25 footer and in need of work.The one thing that still sticks in my mind was the cupboard with doors that had stained glass.I didn’t buy it but several years later someone wrote an article in PBOabout its restoration.
TBH, not having stained any stained glass windows on my boat has never been an issue for me.

I understand the Archbishop of Canterbury is a keen sailor. Maybe it would float his boat ?

Irish Rover

Visit site
£5,000 was half the price of a family home in Dublin City in 1977. You must have been a wealthy young man.

Neeves

Visit site
A 50' steel yacht 'Anaconda' a near neighbour for a couple of years to our mooring unusually had a full sized glass mirror as part of the main, forward, saloon bulkhead. The yacht had made a couple of circumnavigations and participated in the Sydney/Hobart. I think it was a Buchanan design and built in Australia.

I confess that its the only yacht I have seen with such a large piece of 'domestic' glass.

Jonathan

Wansworth

Visit site
A 50' steel yacht 'Anaconda' a near neighbour for a couple of years to our mooring unusually had a full sized glass mirror as part of the main, forward, saloon bulkhead. The yacht had made a couple of circumnavigations and participated in the Sydney/Hobart. I think it was a Buchanan design and built in Australia.

I confess that its the only yacht I have seen with such a large piece of 'domestic' glass.

Jonathan
Interesting feature which would give the impression of a much bigger space although I am lead to believes some people had mirrors over their beds😏

Stemar

Visit site

Jonathan
Our 8m Catalac has a full length mirror on the heads door.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity...

justanothersailboat

Visit site
It had never occurred to me to have stained glass on a boat, but now I'm almost tempted! It would have to be behind polycarbonate or something so I don't put a hand through it by accident... 🤔

The Q

Visit site
I have stained glass cabinet in the house... The glass shows a yacht :) it was made for me by SWMBO.

You can get the stained glass effect using transparent paints, they leave a coloured plastic film on glass or polycarbonate / acrylic.