A bit steep even for 'Marine parts'?

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
I have a Farymann, single cylinder diesel engine turning a 2.5kw alternator known as an HFL genset. I finally contacted a UK company that has knowledge of such antiquity and won't give me part numbers but will supply the items at the following costs -

Oil filter GBP43.00
Impeller GBP86.35
Fuel filter GBP28.77
All parts in stock
Prices excl. VAT
Delivery GBP15.00 + VAT

Reckon I'll strip it down and find my own way.........
Try a comparison site for filters, like this:- Cross Reference Search for Farymann
Should have read the whole thread, been beaten to it!

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site

andsarkit

Visit site
So sorry, guys. My bad one of the "air"links should have been "oil" - corrected now:
Thank you. I have just checked my 1GM10. Only 760 possible options! No need to buy a Yanmar branded one but how do I select a good one? I usually get Mann filters as I think they are a good option.
1659522894851.png

srm

Visit site
The trouble with modern motor factors is they want a registration number to sell you anything, you need to find one run by the older generation that still have a clue what they're doing.
Another is to find out where the smaller farmer goes for his bits ....

My boat has a marinised 1.6ltr Ford engine. The bolts for one of the foot mountings sheered. Took a bolt to a main Ford parts dealer and all the kid could do was look at pictures on the computer for the vehicles I knew the engine had been used in. "Sorry can't help".

Went down the road to an agricultural engineers who repairs farm machinery. Showed the guy the bolt, he recognised size and thread without measurement"how many do you want?" Likewise, when I needed to replace the rusted bearings in my wind turbine I took the old shells to an agricultural engineer and came out a few minutes later with a new set at a small fraction of the price of importing from the turbine manufacturer in the USA.

ChromeDome

Visit site
Thank you. I have just checked my 1GM10. Only 760 possible options! No need to buy a Yanmar branded one but how do I select a good one? I usually get Mann filters as I think they are a good option.
View attachment 140014
If you hava a preferred brand (knowing that many brands come from same manufacturer) you just select the from the list. Numbering conventions most often guide you to the brand name.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
My boat has a marinised 1.6ltr Ford engine. The bolts for one of the foot mountings sheered. Took a bolt to a main Ford parts dealer and all the kid could do was look at pictures on the computer for the vehicles I knew the engine had been used in. "Sorry can't help".

Went down the road to an agricultural engineers who repairs farm machinery. Showed the guy the bolt, he recognised size and thread without measurement"how many do you want?" Likewise, when I needed to replace the rusted bearings in my wind turbine I took the old shells to an agricultural engineer and came out a few minutes later with a new set at a small fraction of the price of importing from the turbine manufacturer in the USA.

Exactly ... I said small farmer - because the large farm will usually have contract supply etc. The small guy wants to buy parts without hassle / computer listings etc and fix himself.

ChromeDome

Visit site

Not surprising as Ford never supplied the engine with fitment details for boats (or much other than vehicles). The company fitting the thing to the boat may have made/bought it somewhere.

Other (internal engine-) parts will be Ford OEM or compatible as will oil filters etc.

Refueler

Visit site
Not surprising as Ford never supplied the engine with fitment details for boats (or much other than vehicles). The company fitting the thing to the boat may have made/bought it somewhere.

Other (internal engine-) parts will be Ford OEM or compatible as will oil filters etc.

MOST engines for boats are not actually designed solely or specially for boats.

Take Perkins as example ... designed for cars / taxis / agricultural / standing engine use .. rebranded by Volvo etc. My 4-107 serial number shows it to have been a stationary power unit from industrial use. My 4-99 before it was from Car ....
Kubota / Beta from generator / industrial machinery base ....

Pal of mine was a Manager at Petter ........... guess what ... similar story.

srm

Visit site
In this case looking at the block casting the boat's foot fittings obviously used the same tapped holes as had been designed for mounting the engine in a vehicle.

Dutch01527

Visit site
My previous 3 cylinder Farymann engine was a marinised Kubota engine as used in 1,000’s of mowers, tractors ect. you can call Farymann in Germany and they should be able to tell you the Kubota model.

I used to get my spares online at sensible prices.