97-117cm buoyancy aid

mollykins

Visit site
Just looking on ebay for another buoyancy aid.

One is discribed as 'medium' and is for chest size 97-117cm but doesn't specify a weight range and the seller is taking ages to get back to me.

What will the likely weight range be? 50-70kg?

William_H

Visit site
Bouyancy aid

Don't worry about the weight range the chest size is what matters. Over weight people have natural buoyancy.
If it is the type I use which is basically a waste coat with buoyancy it needs to be fairly snug so it won't ride up when you are in the water.
These are not a Life jacket in that you have to keep your head out of the water so it is no good for some one unconscious. However in the water you can swim in it and generally work and of course they are comfortable to wear and will keep you warm. I prefer this type for myself and crew. No concerns about maintenance or "will it inflate?" and it will keep me on the surface if I am knocked unconscious without me having to find a toggle to pull.
I am quite negative about inflatable LJs.
As a matter of interest I made my own buoyancy vest which I wear often very comfortable and warm and seems to have plenty of buoyancy. However it would be better with a crutch strap. It has a lining of 10mm thick high density foam inside 2 layers of red sail bag cloth. olewill

mollykins

Visit site
Thanks, funny you should mention that, I was preparing a lesson for sea cadets (i'm at the level now, where i'm teaching the younger ones) last night and part of it was about the differences between buoyancy aids and life jackets . . .