9.9 yamaha 4 strokes

mikewilkes

Visit site
Have a prob with water.( The engine that is - not personally ) Flushed it through and still no go. Pull engine out of its well. According to book I have, but not a detailed workshop manual, by undoing the four nuts above the prop then the beast should split, exposing the water pump on the drive shaft.

Have loosened the nuts but still seems very firmly stuck.

How hard, with what and where do you need to hit it to split it?

Any help greatfully accepted.

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have a prob with water.( The engine that is - not personally ) Flushed it through and still no go. Pull engine out of its well. According to book I have, but not a detailed workshop manual, by undoing the four nuts above the prop then the beast should split, exposing the water pump on the drive shaft.

Have loosened the nuts but still seems very firmly stuck.

How hard, with what and where do you need to hit it to split it?

Any help greatfully accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes it will still be "stuck" so don't hit it unless you really want to buy a new unit.

Your problem looks like you have not released the gear shift mechanism yet so proceed as follows:
Look for a rubber blanking grommet on the leg above the cavitation plate - cant remember which side of the leg it is on.

Carefully prise the grommet out and keep it safe for refitting later.

Inside the leg you Will see the drive shaft and the gear selector rods. Put the gears in neutral and with the aid of a 10mm socket carefully slacken the pinch bolt that holds the two gear selector rods together. The clamp is two pieces of flat bar machined to take the rods.

You can if you wish remove the clamp completely if you slacken the pinch bolt enough to allow one plate to turn 90° to the other. As with any strip-down mark the position of the clamp bars before removal.

With this clamp removed you should be able to remove the lower leg (gearbox and prop) complete with the drive shaft. The water feed tube should stay in the upper leg.

Once this is done you can remove the cover of the pump and check / replace the impeller.

On reassembly make sure the water feed tube located in the proper place (rubber sleeve if I remember correctly). A certain amount of wriggling is required usually to get the drive shaft to enter the splines on the bottom end of the crank.

To do this it is an advantage to put the gear box in drive and rotate the prop to turn the drive shaft. If doing this ensure you turn the prop in the correct direction - forward if g'box is in forward or reverse if the g'box is in reverse.

Once this is done put the g'box in neutral and after checking the g'lever on the cowling is in neutral refit the clamp bars and finally refit the grommet taking care not to push it inside the leg.

The above should help unless I've got my Yamahas mixed up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

mikewilkes

Visit site
Thanks Cliff.

Had a good look and cant see any rubber grommet. Gearbox is definately in neutral. There is a clamp half way down the leg on the outside, but does not seem to have anything of interest underneath.

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks Cliff.

Had a good look and cant see any rubber grommet. Gearbox is definitely in neutral. There is a clamp half way down the leg on the outside, but does not seem to have anything of interest underneath.

[/ QUOTE ]O.K. plan "B".....
Above the cavitation plate on the upper leg you should find a casting held on by 8 bolts - remove the casting and look inside the leg - you should find the gear selector rods and the clamp plate in there. The rest is as per original post - got my yamahas mixed up!!!! Bottom line is you need to access the inside of the leg to disconnect the gear selector rods or so my tame yamaha service guy is telling me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

mikewilkes

Visit site
Above the cavitation plate there are 4 nuts / washers.

Going up above that there is a clamp held on by 2 bolts. In the middle of this clamp is another bolt with earth wires attached.

The only "visable" linkage is in this area. It consists of a "flimsy" rod which appears to operate the gears. This rod seems to be joined at this point.

There are no other fittings / bolts etc until you get to the top of the leg.

How I wish I was in Scotland and could take it to Caley Marina!!!! ( Apart from the weather anyway )