31-34’ Racer/Cruiser

harstonwood

Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
Visit site
Resurrecting this topic, looking for pros/cons for a secondhand boat for occcasional cruising and some Offshore and club racing, two handed
So far J97 top of the list, but not many about. Dehler 32 seem to fit the bill but not sure about its racing pedigreee
All suggestions welcomed

Ingwe

Visit site
I would still say that the JPK 10.10 and SunFast 3200 are the best boats available for that brief but if you don't mind going a fraction bigger an A35 can be sailed well offshore two handed but would obviously require more crew around the cans than the other two.

lpdsn

Visit site
... an A35 can be sailed well offshore two handed but would obviously require more crew around the cans than the other two.

I've not raced on an A35 but I've raced against them a fair few times. They seem to require a particularly good crew to race to their handicap (more so than that statement applies generally).

flaming

Visit site
I've not raced on an A35 but I've raced against them a fair few times. They seem to require a particularly good crew to race to their handicap (more so than that statement applies generally).

Have sailed one, and raced against them a lot. Bit tweaky but nothing too tough.

I'd add the J92 and J105 as good doublehanded options, though less good on the cruising brief. Elan333 good for a more conventional option that would be especially good in cruising mode and in heavy airs.

flaming

Visit site
J92 a bit wet Offshore, J105 won’t get passed the admiral due cruising, only older 333’s for sake
J97 currently frontrunner
Anyone know anything about the Dehler 32 ? Reckon that may fit the bill with a decent bowsprit and Code zero/and or flying jib setup

32, no... Used to race against the 34RS a lot when they first launched that hull (it's been called a number of things over the years, but the hull has been the same) and it's pretty competitive. No reason to assume that the 32 wouldn't also be so.

That said, if you like the J97, go buy one. It's a great boat.

Foolish Muse

Visit site
I would expect the Figaro Beneteau II to go on deep discount sale some time in the next year when all of the sponsored boats are dumped for the III. A great boat built for short handing in rough water.

flaming

Visit site
I would expect the Figaro Beneteau II to go on deep discount sale some time in the next year when all of the sponsored boats are dumped for the III. A great boat built for short handing in rough water.

But wildly uncompetitive on IRC and if the J105 was scratched for lack of cruising comforts....

Racecruiser

Visit site
A bit smaller than the Elan 333 is the Elan 295 at 9.2m (295 is not a length ref) like we have which has taken us to quite a number of JOG wins inshore and offshore plus a 4th in class at the R Soton/RORC 2 Handed championships a couple of years ago. The newer version is the Elan 31 but they rate higher than the 295 and don't seem to be any faster on the water. I guess if you're in J97 territory you'll have a bigger budget and they do seem like very good all-rounders, but if the 295 is of interest do PM me.

Judders

Visit site
I have sailed a Dehler 32 fresh out of the packet (it was the delivery in fact) and I liked it. It seemed a nice balance with some nice features but the usual Hanse question marks. I don't know about racing one but Dehlers have always tended to rate well.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have sailed a Dehler 32 fresh out of the packet (it was the delivery in fact) and I liked it. It seemed a nice balance with some nice features but the usual Hanse question marks. I don't know about racing one but Dehlers have always tended to rate well.

When you say "Usual Hanse question marks" What exactly are you referring to?

Chris 249

Visit site
== meh
Boo2

Try sailing somewhere where there is no IRC fleet and all there is a NHC style system which effectively says "Oh my god, you actually know how to sail - here's a 10 minute penalty so that you have to finish ahead of much faster boats". That may change your appreciation of IRC! :)

Daydream believer

Visit site
Try sailing somewhere where there is no IRC fleet and all there is a NHC style system which effectively says "Oh my god, you actually know how to sail - here's a 10 minute penalty so that you have to finish ahead of much faster boats". That may change your appreciation of IRC! :)

Until all your competitors get fed up of coming nowhere & do not bother to compete any more

TallBuoy

Visit site
I don't know what is meant by the 'usual Hanse question marks' but I have friends who race a 312 to very good effect both in IRC and 'NHC equivalent' from time to time. Looks comfortable enough for cruising, if you are not too much above average build. A lot cheaper than a modern J, too.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I don't know what is meant by the 'usual Hanse question marks' but I have friends who race a 312 to very good effect both in IRC and 'NHC equivalent' from time to time. Looks comfortable enough for cruising, if you are not too much above average build. A lot cheaper than a modern J, too.

Well I am 6ft 6ins & I chose my 312 because of my height. Long bunks & a decent loo. Not enough headroom but just about the best of the bunch. Pretty nippy & responds well to lots of tweeking (i have 26 combinations of control lines in the cockpit) to get the best out of it. Easy to sail single handed. Regularly go for 3 months at a time & have done 2 weeks in the Dutch canals with 6 ( never again though, not with 3 b..dy women aboard!!!) Have done 4 months with just the wife -------& without arguing :encouragement: