2HP 4 stroke outboard experience?

Ancient_Mariner

Visit site
I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has had experience with the 2HP Honda BF2S aircooled 4-stroke outboard. Any teething problems with one of the few 4 stroke aircooled outboards available at the minute? I am thinking of buying a new one.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Had one for four years...been great. In the Med, despite the high ambient temps. no p[roblems with overheating after several hours use at a time.

Only problem was when it was dropped and the leg broke..but that was my fault.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatmad2

Visit site
Four stroke engines by nature have more compression than two strokes and the starting method is slightly different.
Instead of the short sharp pull with a 2stroke you need a long firm pull to kick them over more than one revolution.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Pleased with ours, very economical and a lot more oomph than 2hp suggests (planes a Tinker Traveller 2 up). Centrifugal clutch takes getting used to, slow up too much coming alongside and it comes out of gear and you lose steerage, usual result is 2nd attempt you go too quick!

<hr width=100% size=1>

wooslehunter

Visit site
Got one this year. Great little motor. Clutch is nice but does take getting used to. Once your familiar you get to know the "bite" point and slow spead is no problem - you can easily stear with blips of throttle.

Starts fine. Air cooled is great as you have no water channels to clog / stroke clean.

Bit heavier/bigger than a 2 stroke though. Can leak oil even if it's put on its side as recommended. Earlier ones did have some faults but if you're buying new you should be OK since Honda fixed them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

KeithH

Visit site
I have just bought one - to replace an ageing Johnson 2HP. So far so good, but I would agree that the technique for the starting pull is a bit different.

I like the centrifugal clutch - much better than the always-in-gear Johnson. Air cooling is good too, no impeller to break, no water channels to block. And - no need to blend oil/petrol.

Downsides are:
Weight. It is a little heavier than my old 2 stroke, but not much.
Noise - Air cooled engines are somewhat noisier, but again it is only a 2hp engine.
Storing - remember to lay it on the correct side, or store upright, otherwise you lose sump oil.

So, it still has my vote. Much better than a cr*ppy old Johnson.

<hr width=100% size=1>KeithH

bigmart

Visit site
Ive had one for two years now. Fabulous piece of kit. Wouldn't want to go back to the bad old days of mixing 2Stroke etc.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Certainly bigger but actually it was one of the lightest 2hps when we bought ours. Haven't had any oil leak problems with ours which is kept on the pushpit, never laid down.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AOWYN

www.clinksystems.com
Two years in, so far so good, but the noise is not just louder, it is harder on the ear, not very nice at all. Oil leakage a problem, but compared with Mercury which not only leaked petrol from its faulty fuel tank and whose very expensive decals were not petrol resistant and crinkled up and then fell off (it was a petrol powered outboard, did they expect me to keep it in bed with me!), the Honda is a winner. A pity it is so big and so noisy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ancient_Mariner

Visit site
Many thanks to all for sharing your experiences. On the basis of what seems to be fairly consistent good experience, I have gone out and laid out my hard-earned £340 on a new motor! Comes with a 5 year warranty, so that's hopefully some comfort.

If anyone has any experience with warranty claims it may be worthwhile sharing these. Will keep you updated on my experiences with the motor over the next month or so when we go cruising down in the Channel Islands.

Larry

<hr width=100% size=1>

wiggy

Visit site
I have honda 4 stroke 3Hp that is a few years old it is fantasatic a doddle to start with plenty of power its just a little noisier and a little heavier that 2stroke but unless you are really weak this is hardly an issue with a 2hp engine.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andrewa

Visit site
I have just bought a new one with a 5 year warranty, great engine though as others have said a little loud. My only problem is that it leaks petrol when you tilt it or lay it down from the the top of the tank any other person had this? Or have I just over filled it?

<hr width=100% size=1>

andrewa

Visit site
No not a silly question because I did forget to do it the first time hence I thought that was the cause but on closer inspection there is a thin trickle coming from the the front of the filler cap when the engine is tilted on the transon of the dingy or layed down, I have screwed it up as tight as I can but it still leaks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Maybe the rubber(?) seal is out of place or damaged. I have overfilled ours by mistake several times as the boat lurched whilst topping up but it never leaked.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andrewa

Visit site
Thanks Robin I may have over filled it dealer has been really good but can't get it back to them yet because fuel would leak into the car! Next time down at the boat will check that seal is place correctly

<hr width=100% size=1>

John7

Visit site
The warranty only holds is you spend vast amounts on annual service with Honda servicing agents. By and large a 1/2 hour job that they will charge you the best part of £100 for plus, if you don’t have one near you, your time taking and collecting the out boards to/from. I worked out its cheaper to DIY and replace the outboard (with a non Honda) after 3 years if need be! P.S keep the bolts oiled as they rust, as they are not stainless steel,

ditchcrawler

Visit site
Read the Warranty carefully.On my slightly larger(5HP) new Honda it was only waaranted if the engine was serviced by a Honda agent.The first year this was a reasonable cost,but the second year the cost was about 25% of the engine price.I asked why the second year service was so much more than the first & was told there were more things to check.I advise that you get a quote for the servicing.This is not meant to put you off as they are good engines.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
I came to the conclusion long ago that servicing of small outboards was something to do yourself or just leave full stop. 3 services and a bit equals one new engine is not a good deal. Twas thus too for my old Mariner 2 way back, it didn't get serviced for 10 years and was traded in when it finally packed up for not much less than I paid for it new - mind you that's when we had inflation.

<hr width=100% size=1>