270ah DIY LiFePO4 build

vas

Visit site
I am proposing to install a B2B and keep the Trojans charged permanently off the lithium. They will sit on float unless I use them.
To switch over from one bank to the other. I will simply isolate the bank I am on before energising the next bank. Solar will go to the lithium. The engine bank will also have a B2B to charge the lithium. Open to thoughts
1. what's going to happen in the in-between time? everything dead? like navigation, inverter, lights, whatever?
2. will that be done in an automated fashion or you going around pushing buttons or turning knobs?
3. B2B from circa 27 (max 27.6V or so with all cells at 3.45V) you're going to keep in trickle charge the Trojans who would be happy to see 29V daily to shake them up a bit? Might as well skip the B2B and let them permanently on as I've done...

Poey50

Visit site
1. what's going to happen in the in-between time? everything dead? like navigation, inverter, lights, whatever?
2. will that be done in an automated fashion or you going around pushing buttons or turning knobs?
3. B2B from circa 27 (max 27.6V or so with all cells at 3.45V) you're going to keep in trickle charge the Trojans who would be happy to see 29V daily to shake them up a bit? Might as well skip the B2B and let them permanently on as I've done...

It's good to think ahead to cover the eventuality of a BMS blackout. But really it should be a very rare - or even a never - event so personally I think that a single switch such as the one I linked to is OK. Systems also should have some advanced warning of BMS disconnect.

It's true that keeping LFP in parallel connection with lead acid completely avoids the disconnect issue, but it isn't without downsides including being ruled out by all regulatory authorities. That might matter when it comes to getting a survey for re-insurance.

Kelpie

Visit site
With my changeover, yes, everything goes off during the switch. Although mine is just for nav gear (lights, instruments, autopilot). The switch takes about one second, but you do have to restart the plotter and put the autopilot back in to auto. Completely manual. We're generally running Navionics on our phones anyway.

I didn't install it as an emergency system per se, just a way of managing energy use depending on whether I'm sailing or motoring (my LFP is solar only, for now, so when motoring I'll run the nav gear from lead acid).

By the way my cabin lights are a mixture, mostly on the lithium but I deliberately left a few on the lead acid. That way you can still get around down below and use one of the heads, even if one system fails. Likewise I have some 12v sockets on each system.

geem

Visit site
1. We hardly use the inverter. Everything dead will be sorted in about 5sec with the flick of a switch. It's not something I expect to happen on a regular basis. Our current T105s see less than 20% of their capacity used over night. Our loads are not high. I have the option to run the loads on the T105s anyway with the lithium feeding it via the B2B. This set up would be bulletproof. It may be the mode we opt for normally when sailing but at anchor we have the option to use the lithium with the inverter hard wired to the lithium bank if we wanted to say, cook on the induction hob or boil the kettle
2. No automation. More to go wrong.
3. I can charge the T105s off the B2B to shake them up a bit periodically by simply turning the B2B off and on again. That will put the Trojans through a full charge cycle.
I don't want to mix chemistries. We won't be Iinking lead and lithium together. It goes against ISO and ABYC recommendations. I want the installation to pass scrutiny of a marine electrical inspection for insurance purposes.

vas

Visit site
It's true that keeping LFP in parallel connection with lead acid completely avoids the disconnect issue, but it isn't without downsides including being ruled out by all regulatory authorities. That might matter when it comes to getting a survey for re-insurance.
simple cheap third party, never had the boat surveyed for insurance, so no issue.

Draystone

Visit site
It always used to be the advice that prismatic cells should be stored upright, keeping the pressure release valve on top and to ensure that electrolyte covered all plates. But more recently Winston say their cells can be used in any orientation. I've also read that laid on their edge is better than on their side but really it's a grey area.

The following is my recent communication with Winston on this subject.

Hello,
On Friday, you shipped 4 * TSWB-LYP700AHA to me. I will be making these into a battery pack with BMS.
I have a technical question.
Is it possible to assemble the cells so that the terminals are on the side?
Regards,
John.

Dear John,
Thanks for your email.
I am Jean from commerce department of Thunder Sky Winston.
It's the best to assemble and use the battery with pole side upward.
We always place the battery pole side upward from production to test and shipping.
There are no safety issues if you side place the 700ah battery as showed in your picture, but pls protect the battery bank with jigs & straps, here attached pic.
It's possible that side placing will affect the life span of battery.
Thanks.

Hello Jean,
Thank you for your reply.
It is good to know there are no safety issues.
By how much will the life be shortened if I mount them this way?
Regards,
John

Hi John,
Since we operate the battery with pole side upwards, there's no side-placing data.
Side-placing (like your picture) maybe will affect about 0%-5% life span of battery.

Poey50

Visit site
The following is my recent communication with Winston on this subject.

Hello,
On Friday, you shipped 4 * TSWB-LYP700AHA to me. I will be making these into a battery pack with BMS.
I have a technical question.
Is it possible to assemble the cells so that the terminals are on the side?
Regards,
John.

Dear John,
Thanks for your email.
I am Jean from commerce department of Thunder Sky Winston.
It's the best to assemble and use the battery with pole side upward.
We always place the battery pole side upward from production to test and shipping.
There are no safety issues if you side place the 700ah battery as showed in your picture, but pls protect the battery bank with jigs & straps, here attached pic.
It's possible that side placing will affect the life span of battery.
Thanks.

Hello Jean,
Thank you for your reply.
It is good to know there are no safety issues.
By how much will the life be shortened if I mount them this way?
Regards,
John

Hi John,
Since we operate the battery with pole side upwards, there's no side-placing data.
Side-placing (like your picture) maybe will affect about 0%-5% life span of battery.

Interesting and useful, thanks.

Kelpie

Visit site
I think I will try to stick with upright cells. It means having to move an isolator which is annoying but probably worth it. And I'm not going to have a second pack in that space for several months anyway.

GHA

Visit site
I am proposing to install a B2B and keep the Trojans charged permanently off the lithium. They will sit on float unless I use them.
To switch over from one bank to the other. I will simply isolate the bank I am on before energising the next bank. Solar will go to the lithium. The engine bank will also have a B2B to charge the lithium. Open to thoughts
I've 2 x T105's and 300Ah Lifepo4 connected to a 12both switch. Very wary the first time... but now just switch between them going through both, or leave at both sometimes. Trojans on a smartguage to make sure they're always charged or nearly, lithium monitored using smartshunt data for now. They´ve been sharing solar to get the trojans up to full charge today so voltages are the same, just disconected but in the morning I'll connect to both and post the current. Smartgauge sends once a second so might miss the worst of the current but the invertor can pull hundreds of amps so really not worried. Very handy having 2 banks so if you want to work on one you don't have to turn everything off.

Once the system evolves i don´t think the trojans will get used much if at all but I won't float, just give a little freshing charge once a week or so.
Haven't researched but fairly confident sitting on float all the time would be worse than sitting disconnected at full charge .

Me & my windlasss both love lifepo4 😊 total game changer. Much more relaxed about power on the boat now.

edit: SO here's the trojans today, connected to LFP this morning & just disconnected, solar regs went to float at about 2:30.
1680807606799.png

Very little current getting logged when they were join, though trojans were 80/90% charged. Pity smartguages don't work on LFP.
1680807854023.png

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
I've 2 x T105's and 300Ah Lifepo4 connected to a 12both switch. Very wary the first time... but now just switch between them going through both, or leave at both sometimes. Trojans on a smartguage to make sure they're always charged or nearly, lithium monitored using smartshunt data for now. They´ve been sharing solar to get the trojans up to full charge today so voltages are the same, just disconected but in the morning I'll connect to both and post the current. Smartgauge sends once a second so might miss the worst of the current but the invertor can pull hundreds of amps so really not worried. Very handy having 2 banks so if you want to work on one you don't have to turn everything off.

Once the system evolves i don´t think the trojans will get used much if at all but I won't float, just give a little freshing charge once a week or so.
Haven't researched but fairly confident sitting on float all the time would be worse than sitting disconnected at full charge .

Me & my windlasss both love lifepo4 😊 total game changer. Much more relaxed about power on the boat now.

edit: SO here's the trojans today, connected to LFP this morning & just disconnected, solar regs went to float at about 2:30.
View attachment 154448

Very little current getting logged when they were join, though trojans were 80/90% charged. Pity smartguages don't work on LFP.
View attachment 154450

We have four Trojans and lots of solar. We have never suffered battery anxiety. We don't really think about it. We have enough spare solar capacity to heat hot water from the solar every afternoon once the Trojan have gone to float. Yesterday we made a whole tank of hot water and the immersion heater thermostat tripped out. Its set at 70degC so very hot water.
If I am honest, we really don't need the lithium. Its more of a project out of interest rather than necessity. Batteries are at about 80% charged or better each morning.
Today we have very unusual weather. Very cloudy and thunder and lightning. I haven't used the solar/immersion heater today. First time for several months. I will use the generator later when I make water instead. The batteries have still got to float just after lunch with minimal sunshine. The wind turbine today has outperformed the solar. Another very rare event.
We routinely float our engine batteries. They lasted 4.5 years doing this in the brutal heat of Caribbean summers on the hard with boat cabin temperatures over 40degC for 3 months each year and during the winter temperatures in the high 20s to low 30s. The batteries were cheap open cell batteries I bought in Panama.
Trojans are said to have self depletion rates of 5-15% per month without charge. Our are likely to be at the top end of that due to the high temperatures. I think regular charging or full float will be required. Which way we go will have to be decided. It may end up being a bit of both. Leave them at rest when at anchor and floating whist sailing with their charge coming from the lithium. So many choices🙂

Poey50

Visit site
We have four Trojans and lots of solar. We have never suffered battery anxiety. We don't really think about it. We have enough spare solar capacity to heat hot water from the solar every afternoon once the Trojan have gone to float. Yesterday we made a whole tank of hot water and the immersion heater thermostat tripped out. Its set at 70degC so very hot water.
If I am honest, we really don't need the lithium. Its more of a project out of interest rather than necessity. Batteries are at about 80% charged or better each morning.
Today we have very unusual weather. Very cloudy and thunder and lightning. I haven't used the solar/immersion heater today. First time for several months. I will use the generator later when I make water instead. The batteries have still got to float just after lunch with minimal sunshine. The wind turbine today has outperformed the solar. Another very rare event.
We routinely float our engine batteries. They lasted 4.5 years doing this in the brutal heat of Caribbean summers on the hard with boat cabin temperatures over 40degC for 3 months each year and during the winter temperatures in the high 20s to low 30s. The batteries were cheap open cell batteries I bought in Panama.
Trojans are said to have self depletion rates of 5-15% per month without charge. Our are likely to be at the top end of that due to the high temperatures. I think regular charging or full float will be required. Which way we go will have to be decided. It may end up being a bit of both. Leave them at rest when at anchor and floating whist sailing with their charge coming from the lithium. So many choices🙂
Are you still working on a cooling system for the LFPs?

geem

Visit site
Are you still working on a cooling system for the LFPs?
Yes. We built a liquid cooled battery using Winston cells last summer. Due to other commitments the prototype is sat there with little development. We hope to pick it up again soon as other commitments allow. It's a shame but being here enjoying myself in the Caribbean doesn't help🙂

GHA

Visit site
So many choices🙂
If you don't log & look at the data you're mostly seeing what our biases decide on a blurred snapshot of an image instead of front row Imax watching ultra slow motion.
The data don't lie 😂

edit, slight drift but patterns like this are invisible without logging - apparant wind and current into the batts 😎

1680858633468.png

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
wtf are you doing GHA? spinning around on anchor?
recon you should reposition your panels 😁
look at the apparent wind on the lower plot, boat is tacking side to side quite slowly & quite uniformly in 20Kts. Never knew this until today plotting the data . 😎

Position is pretty stable.
(Where am i 😉)

1680860107391.png

geem

Visit site
look at the apparent wind on the lower plot, boat is tacking side to side quite slowly & quite uniformly in 20Kts. Never knew this until today plotting the data . 😎

Position is pretty stable.
(Where am i 😉)

View attachment 154480
You need a riding sail. Friends with a Jeanneau 45 installed one this season. What a difference. They would veer around the anchorage like crazy. Now they don't move.

vas

Visit site
OK, another thing to check I guess :)
I'm logging at 1min intervals so haven't noticed anything like that. OTOH, my panels are on the h/t nothing shading them so wouldn't see such drops anyway.

GHA

Visit site
You need a riding sail. Friends with a Jeanneau 45 installed one this season. What a difference. They would veer around the anchorage like crazy. Now they don't move.
Played with riding sail for a while, before it got all intimate with the windgen in 40Kts 🤯, heavy long keel so less than 40kts odd really doesn´t need one. Boat doesn't veer around like the modern light plastic, just tacks gently unless it's an 8 or so.

Point is without plotting data there's no way anyone would know it´s such a perfect oscillation at lower wind speeds. Well over a decade and a half onboard I've always been aware of the shadows moving but never suspected it was such a beautiful regular cyclic movement. ❤

Don't plot the data, what you think is the real world is mostly bias & guessing. My experience anyway, the cold chisel of data piercing through so many preconceived ideas. 😎
Good practice imho, admiting you're completely wrong and know much ess than you thought 😂