20 and 10 week Training guide (www.doitforcharity.com)

fireball

Visit site
Interestingly it doesn't say what distance the training plan is set for - I'd guess it's for a 100 miler ...
Some of the distances for a week are more than I ride in a week now ... !

One thing that's important to remember, you don't get fitter whilst riding. You get fitter whilst recovering.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Looks they are thinking about a prolonged long-distance event! I found this somewhere in the middle:

The final week should be spent winding down with three 10 - 15 mile rides and the confidence that you know you can complete and enjoy the 10-day ride ahead of you.

rafiki_

Visit site
Hmmmm. There is no way I will have the spare time to make a training schedule like this. So will have to do as much as I can! Planning 2 stops on route, so I'm reasonably confident that I will have the CV capacity, but just need to get enough miles on the legs and saddle.

fireball

Visit site
you don't need to do that one - it's a nice schedule, but ott for a single 70 mile ride.

Obviously the more time in the saddle the better, but you can do it in smaller chunks - if you can work up to riding 40-50 miles on a saturday or sunday then you'll be fine ...

rafiki_

Visit site
you don't need to do that one - it's a nice schedule, but ott for a single 70 mile ride.

Obviously the more time in the saddle the better, but you can do it in smaller chunks - if you can work up to riding 40-50 miles on a saturday or sunday then you'll be fine ...
Yep, that's what I have done in the past.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

+1

A couple of shorter 20 milers thrown in at a slighly faster pace about 6 weeks out will help too... and BIG support for Fireball's earlier comment that the recovery time is just as important as the training rides... lots of decent protein is always a good idea after a long ride.. and its a good excuse for a nice big fish or meat dish! :D ....never do two long rides close together unless you are very bike fit to start with.... even the pros try and leave a day between the really long rides.

Last edited: