2 videos of the same event - 13 years apart

flaming

Visit site
I found this facinating.

Here is a video of the Hamble winter series in 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGZ-XMpwPEU

And here is a video of the same event in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeH3ylGJ04c

Just look at how yacht racing has moved on, and conversely how it hasn't!

In 2000, a few boats had laminate sails. In 2013 it's basically 100%. Average size looks larger, Sigma 38s look quite big in 2000! But the Sigmas are still there, about the only boats from 2000 that are! And there's a lot more matching kit in 2013!

Sandyman

Visit site
Thank for posting those videos. Brilliant. The 2000 one brought back good memories of when I used to do winter racing in the Solent on a Sigma 33.

MissFitz

Visit site
Astonishing how dated the 2000 footage looks, hardly anything capable of going even slightly faster than hull speed & not an A-sail in sight.

Sailingsaves

Visit site
No judging here as I am not a racer (only ever raced dinghies), but the MOB incident in video 2, did he have a lj on?

Did he need one? There is obviously a quick response time as so many people about, so even if knocked unconscious and overboard, possibly person could still be retrieved and looked after satisfactorily. And he wasn't unconscious anyway and all ended well.

Is it that in a quick moving environment lifejackets are just a pain in the butt, catching on things etc?

Did he keep his boots on?

Visit site
He had a LJ on but at this time of year that isnt always enough. We had a guy slide under the guardrails last year - he hung onto a spinny sheet and was recovered fairly quickly but died nevertheless. Presumably from the shock / heart attack. Nevertheless, all my crew wear LJs or they dont sail - at a guess the lack of LJs on the latest video is down to the young macho man attitude of crew and skipper.

The videos were an interesting contrast. Lots of masthead rigs on small boats becoming fractional on bigger ones. As pointed out, far more laminate sails and this together with boat size and the increasing newness of the boats is maybe why the IRC fleet down there is shrinking. Cost in other words. Plus it looks like many of the boats arent multi purpose but pure racers.

Rather fewer tillers in the latest video.

Last edited: