1GM10 Head Gasket - Which Way Up?

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
I have a brand new Yanmar head gasket for my 1GM10. Unfortunately the instructions about fitting it in the manual are ambiguous. The diagram show "Flywheel side" on what isn't the flywheel side and claims that the gasket says "Top" on one side, which it doesn't - though it does say "A".

Does anyone have definitive knowledge about which way up it goes? For the moment I have fitted it with "A" - on the smooth metal side - up, but I can invert it if necessary ...

steve28

www.falmouthgypsy.com
the gasket should have two additional holes on the side which would be the gear side, if the pushrods are furthest away from you the holes would be on the right.

steve

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
the gasket should have two additional holes on the side which would be the gear side, if the pushrods are furthest away from you the holes would be on the right.

That's one of the ambiguities. With the pushrods furthest away, the diagram in the manual has "gear side" on the right and "flywheel side" on the left ... but in that orientation my flywheel is on the right and it's not clear whether "gear side" means the gearbox or the (valve) gear case.

They also helpfully note that there are only holes in the block to match these extra holes in the gasket on one side ... not on my engine! It has a full set of block and head holes on both sides.

Still, I think I put the extra holes on the right as you say!

NorthUp

Visit site
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, even posted on a Yanmar help forum-didn't do much good though!
I eventually placed the gasket with the A uppermost... so far so good.

Bilgediver

Visit site
That's one of the ambiguities. With the pushrods furthest away, the diagram in the manual has "gear side" on the right and "flywheel side" on the left ... but in that orientation my flywheel is on the right and it's not clear whether "gear side" means the gearbox or the (valve) gear case.

They also helpfully note that there are only holes in the block to match these extra holes in the gasket on one side ... not on my engine! It has a full set of block and head holes on both sides.

Still, I think I put the extra holes on the right as you say!

Did the gasket that came of have a full set of holes both sides???

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
Did the gasket that came of have a full set of holes both sides???

Sort of. The thick gasket material is completely symmetrical but the thin metal sheet on one side only blanks off two (as I recall) holes and restricts another. just to add to the annoyance, the top of the block isn't symmetrical in shape on the pushrod side, so if they just made the gasket to the same shape none of this would arise.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
the gear side they refer to is the pulley side. They assume the engine has no gearbox attached at this stage.

That's what I thought. The problem with the picture in the printed manual is that it shows "gear side" on right hand side as you look across at the pushrods and "flywheel side" on the right, which is the opposite way round from reality!

I have just had a look at the pdf manual which floats around. It's not the same as the printed manual and has no diagram, but the rather blurry photo on p76 (pdf page 82) seems to show the unblocked holes on the gearbox/flywheel/airfilter side of the engine. Which is how I fitted mine.

I think.

Topcat47

Visit site
I've just done mine. For some reason, Yanmar have put out a load of replacement gaskets stamped "A" instead of "Top". Marine Power confirmed that they go "A" side uppermost.

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
Is this any help, or is it just what you have already?

2_3-3_1CHAS2.gif

I found a guide which states (and it lines up with many years of head gasket replacing) that the flat side of the gasket goes against the head. The curled-over ring against the block.

Which would make this the block face side

140.jpg

Last edited:

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
Is this any help, or is it just what you have already?

2_3-3_1CHAS2.gif

Thanks very much - that's the picture in the printed manual. If you align the engine as shown then the flywheel and intake are on the right, with the gearbox, while the gears are on the left. Oh yes, and the hole on the cylinder side is drilled on mine. :confused:

I've fitted it as the text you posted suggests: smooth face up.

Mel

Visit site
I recently posted a thread about a problem I have been having with water temperature alarm on my 1GM10 after fitting new cylinder head over winter. After much delving I found that I had fitted the head gasket the wrong way round.
Today I replaced the gasket correctly and the temperature problem has gone !

Attached picture shows correct position for this gasket for anybody still in doubt

Other threads that may be of interest