1970 vp D2

rib

Visit site
Asking for a friend. He has a d2. Twin installation on a old cat.. Just before returning to UK for a month. Both engines were running better than they had ever done for some time, after a test run. Engines off. Water inlet seacock off. And returned to UK.. One month later, port engine won't turn over, belts slipping. Eased tension of belts to prove starter motor was turning, or a least trying to. Decompress levers applied during this.. Manual hand turn with handle not budging abit, even with injectors out.. Now way past my level of experience.. What confuses me is one minuate working fine..no noises or visual signs of problems.. Month later with out doing anything engine won't turn at all.. Sea cocks were turned off during this time period. And no turning over of engine means ( I hope) no hydraulic squeeze on water ingress.. Any ideas or sound advise (apart from throwing them) before he tops himself..

footsoldier

Visit site
Difficult without details, but at first sight it seems your friend needs to check if during his time away seawater could have entered via the exhaust and seized the engine.

Tranona

Visit site
Which model engine is it? - not D2 as that did not arrive until 2005!

However sound very much like seized due to water ingress via the exhaust.

VicS

Visit site
Which model engine is it? - not D2 as that did not arrive until 2005!

However sound very much like seized due to water ingress via the exhaust.

MD2 perhaps .............. with Dynastart hence reference to "belts"
Pictures from the workshop manual:

1718030319337.png

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Asking for a friend. He has a d2. Twin installation on a old cat.. Just before returning to UK for a month. Both engines were running better than they had ever done for some time, after a test run. Engines off. Water inlet seacock off. And returned to UK.. One month later, port engine won't turn over, belts slipping. Eased tension of belts to prove starter motor was turning, or a least trying to. Decompress levers applied during this.. Manual hand turn with handle not budging abit, even with injectors out.. Now way past my level of experience.. What confuses me is one minuate working fine..no noises or visual signs of problems.. Month later with out doing anything engine won't turn at all.. Sea cocks were turned off during this time period. And no turning over of engine means ( I hope) no hydraulic squeeze on water ingress.. Any ideas or sound advise (apart from throwing them) before he tops himself..
If it wont turn on the handle with injectors out the engine is seized or rusted due to water ingress.

Put a little diesel oil in the cylinders and keep trying to rock it back and forth by turning the flywheel by hand .