17 foot boat across the channel...Possible?

Jeepster

Visit site
Hi, there was an old thread about crossing the channel but sadly its closed to new threads and replies so I thought I would ask on here.
I am contemplating crossing the channel on my Marina 17' x 6'3", 2 berth cabin cruiser, with up to six on board. Its got a planing hull so it can handle the sea no problem but the problem is I only have a 9.9 hp four stroke outboard.
This moves the boat along no problem, but going against the tide, even at full throttle, the boat does slow to walking place.
The engine is extremely frugal (24 hours continuous motoring on a 5 gallon tank!) so I am not worried too much about fuel consumption but at the max speed I can go with this engine I am looking at a crossing time of at least 2 1/2 hours, which wont be much fun if it gets choppy as I wont have the power to get it on the plane.
Would a bigger engine be totally essential or would my engine be ok for the job?
I reason that most sailing boats of similar size to mine are probably slower than my boat and yet I dare say many make it across no problem.
Also, lets say I do make it across without mishap, would I have to moor up in a major port and declare our presence to French customs or as British, and therefore a citizen of Europe, can I just cross and travel up any of the French waterways unchallenged?
And are there plenty of free moorings in the Northern French rivers and are the French boaters friendly to British boaters or does the memory of Agincourt still stick in their craw?
Any advice would be greatfully received.
Thanks in advance.
Alf. (Jeepster)

carlton

Visit site
Have you considered getting some training - RYA 'Day Skipper' or similar? You can jump on courses whereby evening classes are run throughout the winter months. ;)

Edit: There's also the added benefit of staying alive for a bit longer.

Last edited:

duncan

Visit site
1. 2.5 hours is a fast channel crossing - I take 3 on a good day at 20knts
2. French inland waterways in a UK registered boat require an ICC with CEVNI
3. Your boat should be UK registered

snowybarks

Visit site
Please don't do it! You could really kill yourself and others!
You cannot compare a low powered motor boat with a sailing yacht.
Totally agree with the suggestion of RYA training.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
1. 2.5 hours is a fast channel crossing - I take 3 on a good day at 20knts
2. French inland waterways in a UK registered boat require an ICC with CEVNI
3. Your boat should be UK registered

Nah he wont need that lot. It'll probably sink half way across and you can park on the bottom anywhere you want to. It's also free.:D

laup

Visit site
The safest way would be put the boat on a trailer, all jump in the tow car and and go on the ferry.

duncan

Visit site
Nah he wont need that lot. It'll probably sink half way across and you can park on the bottom anywhere you want to. It's also free.:D

given that you and I are reasonable representatives of the 'just get on with it' and 'the boat can handle more than most skippers (crews)' approach - I think you are being a little harsh.

fair - but harsh

now if if he'd asked what spares and tools should he carry...... :)

Chris_d

Visit site
This is a windup surely:confused:

Yes it is possible that you might make it across, despite being overloaded having insufficent fuel, not even knowing how far it is across the channel, having the wong boat with too small an engine and you have found 5 other idiots to go too, go for it:rolleyes:

alruss

Visit site
Channel?

Could I suggest that you join a club in west London, you have Greenwhich Yacht club and the Hurlingham Yacht Club. You could then perhaps join others on a channel crossing, putting your passengers on another boat. Even borrow a larger outboard from another member. Definately do not try this on your own. Google the clubs for contact numbers.

Johnn

Visit site
Also It going to be a hairy ride going through the shipping lanes. Break down in there and your toast!. :eek:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
If you went single handed, you could pick up half a dozen hitchikers at Sangettie. I reckon they would pay you 2k each towards your "expences".

Mind you it might cost you more than that for a good Brief if you get caught.:D

Warpa

Visit site
did it in a Toyota pickup

I was just going to say that :D

In a nissan i might add, not the same pickup as my trailor puller of choice:D

Prepping it for its 1st detail ;)

picture702z.jpg

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Sarfend to Calais is about 60 nautical miles. At 6 knots, that'll take you 10 hours. There'll be more of a chance that you'll be doing 3 knots though.

Your boat is too small, your engine is too small, 6 people will overload it. For the purposes of staying alive, this would be an ill advised trip.

Yes, Top Gear did it, but how big was their support crew ?

Follow the advice of joining a local club. Contact the RNLI and ask them for a "Sea safety check", costs nothing and someone will come along and give the boat and you safety gear a once over. It's not a pass or fail thing, just some expert advice.

Take it slow and stay safe.

Jeepster

Visit site
This is a windup surely:confused:

Yes it is possible that you might make it across, despite being overloaded having insufficent fuel, not even knowing how far it is across the channel, having the wong boat with too small an engine and you have found 5 other idiots to go too, go for it:rolleyes:

Six on board is not overloaded...I've had eight on board comfortably.
And as I said before, sailboats make it across safely with less power than I will have!