13A sockets onboard. Sanity check pls.

sarabande

Visit site
I want to add a couple of 13A sockets with USB into the cabin. Power is provided from a consumer unit with MCBs and there is a pre-existing permanent power point which had a an oil radiator.

Given that even on the best-regulated sailing boats, the cabin can sometimes become a little damp, would a weatherproof double socket be preferable to a standard 'bare ' 13A double socket ? Or am I overthinking the problem ? Mains power would normally be in a marina only, but I do have a 2kw Honda genny that might be pressed into service on a sheltered mooring or anchorage.

TIA

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
The sockets on every boat I have owned have looked just like the 'vanilla' ones I have at home and I don't remember being on board others peoples' with anything special down below.

One, built by a major French builder, came with the Continental two pin type but back then we didn't really use them on account of not having the many 'devices' we have now.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
recently installed a ratio shore power socket that goes to a c-pak RCD then to two twin socket outlets with usb's . one in the stern cabin, one in the galley. got the sockets off amazon, so normal house type

been using 2 tube heaters and one oil radiator and a blower heater for when im there.

RCD:
240V Mini Consumer Unit For Caravans, Motorhomes & Boats

Ratio socket:
Ratio Stainless steel shore power inlet. 2P+E. 240v 16 A | Energy Solutions

Plug sockets:
British General 13 A Double Switched Socket with 2 x USB Charger Ports - White, 30 Year Warranty: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Last edited:

Beneteau381

Visit site
I want to add a couple of 13A sockets with USB into the cabin. Power is provided from a consumer unit with MCBs and there is a pre-existing permanent power point which had a an oil radiator.

Given that even on the best-regulated sailing boats, the cabin can sometimes become a little damp, would a weatherproof double socket be preferable to a standard 'bare ' 13A double socket ? Or am I overthinking the problem ? Mains power would normally be in a marina only, but I do have a 2kw Honda genny that might be pressed into service on a sheltered mooring or anchorage.

TIA
Overthinking!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
You should be looking at the product description -
Electric Wall Socket Outlet Charger 2 Gang 13A with 3 x USB Charger Ports Power Double Pole Switched Socket

You need to be looking at the post i was quoting, when i asked the OP to elaborate

make sure they are double pole sockets

My highlighting.

Note that a) i asked the OP to elaborate (not you) and b) he stated to be sure they were double pole sockets, not switches, not two gang, not twin axle etc

You then want to have a proper look at the item you linked to.

You can then skip the large, bold, shouty text.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Never had any trouble with regular double sockets on any boat i have had. However rarely use when afloat as no lover of marinas so mostly its in the yard or the odd shoreside hookup in cold weather. They did get very wet when bilge pump failure caused water to rise over the electronics and charging bay beneath the wheelhouse floor. So we didnt use until they dried out and all fine, but did move them up from floor of bay to the top. My outlets are all single switched or even unswitched but if I was installing rather than inheriting previous owners stuff I would go for ganged double switch etc. The main inlets from shore cable are however via ganged switches in mini consumer unit.

sarabande

Visit site
I am still learning about double pole and single pole, Are there good technical reasons to go for double pole pls ?