12v engineer in Plymouth?

skip50

Visit site
Can anybody recommend a good 12v engineer in the Plymouth area, please?

My battery switch (the usual 1/2/both/off type) wasn't connecting to battery 1 (engine) I replaced it, taking great care to replicate connections etc. However the new one doesn't connect to battery 1 either, so the problem must be elsewhere I imagine.

TIA

rotrax

Visit site
Hi, I dont recall the company name but the guys at the Raymarine dealer in Queen Anne's Battery Marina gave my the advice that fixed my non functioning autopilot last year.I recon they could help.Good luck.

ostell

Visit site
Have you traced the connections from battery 1, both terminals? Could be not connecting on the battery (remove, clean and replace connectors), crimp joint fallen out. It's would seem to be fairly basic.

VicS

Visit site
As above check and clean the battery connections. Both of the negative as well as positive.

A Scotchbrite, similar, pot scourer is good for cleaning battery terminals

skip50

Visit site
Thanks for your help and suggestions. Actually the whole story was a lot longer and more complicated but you got the gist of it. You have given me the confidence to check out connections etc myself-with the invaluable aid of a knowledgeable friend! I will go down on Wednesday and report back. If all else fails it will have to be a professional!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Hi, I dont recall the company name but the guys at the Raymarine dealer in Queen Anne's Battery Marina gave my the advice that fixed my non functioning autopilot last year.I recon they could help.Good luck.

They're called Waypoint 1 (I think).

skip50

Visit site
Thanks to everybody for the advice. It cost me the vast sum of £3 to get it sorted!

As suggested it was as simple as the crimp joint from the negative of battery 1 on to the engine block. It looked as if it had been soldered, which I seem to remember is not recommended?

Anyway a quick trip to Plymouth Battery Centre, resulted in a new crimped joint, all for £3. Problem solved.

Thanks all.:)