100 Best Boats

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Re: \"A Hastily Cobbled Together Mailer-Filler\"....

Surprised nobody followed up on the grammar bit Steve. Mind you they all seem to have accepted "forums" instead of "fora" as a plural. What is education coming to?

Oops, correction, that last bit should read "to what is education coming".

(All my spelling mistakes are the result of bad aimimg ay the keys.)

Piddy

Visit site

Well, I'm quite happy with the list as they not only included my type of boat but it's a picture of my actual boat!
I would never have expected it to make the top 100 (even though I think it's great), especially as JJ didn't review it.
Cheers

Sans Bateau

Visit site

The day that proper English and good spelling becomes a test to use the forum, a lot of people would be excluded, I think I may be in the first batch!

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
I seem to recall voting in a poll a good while back, maybe I am entering the realms of fantasy as Mainwaring would say.

If I am recalling correctly then I voted for the Westerly Centaur, no other boat has done so much to get families sailing and cruising together. An all-rounder, drying moorings to marinas, inshore to offshore. They are instantly recognisable and still look good. In fact I was admiring one last week in the shed in Pwllheli, just had new rubbing strips and a good polish, looked fabulous and would not be out of place in any modern marina.

As a kid I used to admire one that was on the Green for winter in Hoylake, be about 1980 or so. It was a BIG yacht then...

I was surprised the Centaur was so low in the list.

Just a thought

Davydine

Visit site
I seem to remember voting a couple of months back - the list is certainly interesting. My choice (Moody 34) isn't in there but her big sister (376) is.

Some bits are rather interesting, for example why is the Macwester 26 (my last boat) so far above the Westerly Centaur? Two boats that are so similar and yet so very different!

Bat21

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I seem to remember voting a couple of months back - the list is certainly interesting. My choice (Moody 34) isn't in there but her big sister (376) is.

Some bits are rather interesting, for example why is the Macwester 26 (my last boat) so far above the Westerly Centaur? Two boats that are so similar and yet so very different!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have it to hand, but rather than "Best Boats", I was under the immpression that they were boats which had a significant impact on sailing. The Macwester did it before the Centeur and was by implication more pivotal.

I must say I was pleased to see all my choices of boat so far, represented including the Mac26 and indeed my current wanaboat. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robin

Visit site
The 'poll' results (one paragraph in the front pages of YM) seem entirely separate from the 100 best list, the Twister for example is close to the top of the 'poll' but bottom of JJ's picks. I would agree with you about the Centaur too, at one time in the club I was in then you had really 'arrived' when you bought one of those, biggest boat on the moorings! The Macwester 26 was also a big boat favourite there, a guy called Len Small had No1 and spent a lifetime modifying it to get it to sail better (added bits on the keels, faired in the prop aperture, added a waterline extender mini swim platform, cut down the leech of the main etc stc - all written up in PBO). There were several others too did the same mods and others, triumph of hope over expectation?

Robin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have it to hand, but rather than "Best Boats", I was under the immpression that they were boats which had a significant impact on sailing. The Macwester did it before the Centeur and was by implication more pivotal

[/ QUOTE ]

If that were to be true how can the top 100 list include several boats only just built and as yet to go through the full roadtest of time?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
New boat's great - only sailed her from Holland to Burnham so far (via Ostend & Ramsgate). Completely different animal. Handles very well in a blow, first half of the Channel X-ing had a NE 5-6. Didn't feel the need to put a reef in, she just got on with it, SOG never dropped below 8kts.
Lot bigger tho, will take a while to get comfortable in confined spaces.

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
Haven't seen the list but assume that it goes something like

1. Rival 38
2. Rival 38
3. Rival 38
4. Rival 38
5. Rival 38
6. Rival 38
7. Rival 38
8. Rival 38
9. Rival 38

etc

Robin

Visit site
Is it better to have been missed off altogether, in which case it is clearly an error in a senior moment by JJ or to have BEEN included but only at position 98/100? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Robin,

You can't wind me up. I sail a Twister, so I simply know it's the best 28 footer around.

JJ has apologised to the Twister Owners Assoc for the fact that due to a monumental proof reading error the numbers in his hot 100 were arse-about-face, so that the best boats are actually at the front of the comic, rather than at the back which explains why a totally impractical money-pit like Endeavour is where she is - at number 100.

Robin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Robin,

You can't wind me up. I sail a Twister, so I simply know it's the best 28 footer around.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ken

That is no doubt how the class name was chosen, that is a REAL twister?

Actually I had heard unofficially that JJ had hurredly left the country, closely followed by an angry mob from the COA.

Robin

mono

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Mind you they all seem to have accepted "forums" instead of "fora" as a plural.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been several attempts at speaking Latin on these forums from time to time but it never caught on for some reason. A bit like the attempts to communicate in morse.

I think you'll find that "forums" is the preferred plural - see The Times Online Style Guide here