“What would you do?” (asking for a friend of a friend)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
anyone who doubts a boat can be resurrected, have a look at "Following Seas" those folks wrecked their boat on a reef, lifted the engine and all other salvagable bits and pieces built a new boat using the hardware and measurements from the old one and continued to sail for years....
And if you want to read about saving an engine from a wrecked yacht, "Trustee from the Toolroom" by Neville Shute has a good description as an incidental part of the plot!

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Looks like clean water. I would skip the power washer and just use a lot of water. And then lots of fans. Open every thing up, haul everything out.

The other concern is wiring. Much of the insulation now has salt inside, which will dry and corrode. He should figure on a complete re-wire over the next few years.

Sandro

Visit site
In the nineteenfourties our Johnson 5hp Seahorse jumped ship (loose transom handscrews) in about 1 and 1/2 or 2 metre of fresh water. My dad dived and recovered it.
Being then a little boy I can't tell what was done to the outboard; what I know is that it worked for many years afterwards.