£200 millionaire

Tranona

Visit site
Surely flights home is an oxymoron as you are a liveaborad? Aside from a few family and close friends funerals I can see no other reason to return here from an idyllic life.

Many people have family - particularly grandchildren to keep in contact with, or a desire to maintain a presence in the UK so they do not lose access to state services such as health. Many reasons why they consider it wise not to cut themselves off. Of course, others do - that is what is attractive about the freedom to make your own choices.

DownWest

Visit site
Many people have family - particularly grandchildren to keep in contact with, or a desire to maintain a presence in the UK so they do not lose access to state services such as health. Many reasons why they consider it wise not to cut themselves off. Of course, others do - that is what is attractive about the freedom to make your own choices.

Well put. Several around here are considering 'going back' mainly because of the children, grand or otherwise.

Heckler

Visit site
We do the half and half lifestyle, suits us. We enjoy the fettling, the marina and the yard life. For example, last month to Gib, actually La Linea. Got the boat stocked, waitd for a weather window to exit the Straits and a nice 150 mile sail to Faro. Overnighted at Culatra then lifted for the first time in two years at Bruces. Cleaned and primed the bottom, off with the prop and changed the cutlass bearing, had a good two weeks there catching up then home till June. Then out, antifoul and splash for a couple of weeks. Then out again till late Aug then in September go to Albufeira marina for 9months. Its a good life!
Stu

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
This is a very interesting thread. I had idly assumed that the "£200 millionaire" (who I seem to recall is a widower and a retired doctor, so on a quite decent pension - in those days he would perhaps have sold his practice and bought an annuity) has a boat like the picture on the cover of the Mariner's Library edition - a gaff cutter without topmast, presumably quite shoal drafted.

The artist who drew many of the dust jackets of the original Mariners' Library series, Winston Megoran, was a professional marine painter and a serious yachtsman himself, and, to my eye, his Mariner's Library dust jackets are "as good as they get", both in accuracy of depiction and choice of subject - and his seas really seem to move!

The idea of the series came from Arthur Ransome, who knew Rupert Hart-Davies from when Hart-Davies was Johnathan Cape's manager. When Hart-Davies started out on his own, Ransome had the idea of reprinting yachting classics that were out of copyright, and he chose them and often wrote the Introductions, or got friends to do so.

Anyway, meandering gently back to the point raised by the OP, I would think that a Wylo 2 would fit the bill perfectly:

IMG_6979_0.JPG

Last edited: