You might as well hear it from me....

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Some time ago someone on here suggested it might be good if the TMBA and ATYC could find some way of working together for the benefit of boaters and the river.
As some of you are aware, last September I was co-opted as Deputy Chair of the ATYC and I have been working hard to develop new relationships and identify ways of reinvigorating that organisation.
The committee recently approved my proposals and, as a result, I now find myself Acting Chairman. Our intention to ratify these changes at the AGM in April have unfortunately been scuppered by the current coronavirus emergency but a new team (some of whom are members of this forum) is now in place and working well together.
The ATYC represents some 40 member clubs along the whole of the Thames from source to sea including a small number based on CRT waters around London.
The TMBA represents individual motor boat owners on the non tidal Thames.
TOGETHER we will be working hard to ensure a brighter future for the boating community and the river itself.
ATYC membership is open to all boating clubs on the river and adjacent waters.
TMBA Membership is open to all motor boaters based on the non tidal Thames and paying registration charges to the Environment Agency.

The TMBA is currently offering an extra years free membership to those joining before 30th June - TWO years for just £5 - JOIN TMBA

And no ..... its not April Fools Day !

Tony

Old Crusty

Visit site
Will you be sending your new reefer jacket back to G&H Military to have the fourth gold ring sewn on or will you do that yourself? I have a size 60cm captain's cap with gold oak leaves on the peak if you need one but I wouldn't want you to be confused with that waterways manager chap ;)

TrueBlue

Visit site
C'mon guys, the River has a huge amounto to offer boaters but could be so much better if 'we' got together to pressure EA to make things work or make existing features better.
That's what TMBA could / can do - pressuruse EA on your behalf. "Bums on seats" is what are needed - so fork out your fiver for starters

oldgit

Visit site
Changes on the Thames.
Perhaps after a long period of stasis better described as decline , things just might get better if everyone was all singing from the same hymn sheet.
Most will be well aware that a set of long established views usually expressed as "we have always done things this way" can prevent vital change from even being considered.
Sometimes to work with somebody is the only way forward , as is an appreciation that the way things were, may not be a guide to what you will have to settle for in the future.
Need to get involved and contribute,.
Constantly denigating people or getting somebodies back up is a sure fire way to make sure that you achieve nothing .....very slowly.

Personally believe that the Thames is missing a trick.
Vast numbers of boaters round the coasts and on other rivers all have craft perfectly capable of getting round to the Thames and sucessfully enjoying a week or two cruising around.Suspect the majority of ladies would much prefer the civilized 6 knot delights of the river rather than bouncing around hanging on for dear life offshore while waiting for him upstairs to finally give up and return to port.
Any attempt to harvest this extra income likely and with fuel prices about to get real and the red diesel wheeze about to meet its end, many skippers will be looking to reduce fuel costs.

Last edited: