Yes! we made it to Scilly's

BartW

www.amptec.be
About a year ago, we planned a diving trip to Cornwall and eventually Scilly’s,
Unfortunately our beloved friend Rob, one of the main contributors to this trip,
Died in a motorcycle accident with his 13y old son, only two months ago.
Dispite this tragedy, 6 members from a group of 10 decided to continue with this planned trip,
as a tribute to Rob and Tom.

Swmbo and myself drove with the car and the boat on the trailer,
and Walter, Leentje, Jurgen and Alex came with a camper and a trailer for the diving equipment
it is a 300km drive from home to Calais,

then crossing the channel to Dover on the ferry
i-kmXjCzN-L.jpg

From Dover it was 580km’ers to Mylor near Falmouth
I didn’t know that we came along “Stonehenge”
Furthermore it was a nice and interesting car trip, without a problem.

Approaching Mylor Church (Harbour) was a challenge,
i-jXh9Gfz-L.jpg

But worth the effort, the harbor was really nice, friendly staff, and a very nice cruising area
i-hjNDwn3-L.jpg

Falmouth bay was very bussy
i-VrrC5SH-L.jpg

the weather was not ideal, but good enough for diving,
Falmouth bay is sheltered for W and NW wind
We spend 2 day’s (4 dives) in this area,
SWMBO was shipper, she helmed the boat while we were diving,
The diving in that area is tough due to tidal curents,
when the curent is more then 0.5kn we can't dive, so dive planning is crucial, but we managed very well !

We made a lunch stop in Falmouth Harbour
i-gjPdFtx-L.jpg

Someone has to do the dirty work
i-BKbzGtB-L.jpg

Our on board dive air compressor, in a prototype silencing box, good enough for some first real live testing, The final version of this box will soon be made in alluminium
i-x4b4NFz-L.jpg

The Diving scenery was exiting, brass, cod, Pollak, octopus, conger eals, Crabs, Langouste, Etc..
i-dhkWrg3-L.jpg

And yes, We also saw some sharks (plenty of these)
we call them dog-shark, I don't known their real English name
i-mpVRrs8-L.jpg

This was the catch of the day:
i-3rzXBrH-L.jpg

A lobster, a Tarbot, and about 30 coquilles, mmmmmm

The 3th day we left Falmouth towards the south,
The weather was too bad to cruise around Lizard point, so we towed the boat down to Penzance
And put her back in the water
i-Nq5KpnT-L.jpg

The same day we did 2 dives around Land’s End
Only one night we stayed in Newlyn harbor (not penzance, as this harbous has no acces at lo tide)
Newlyn is a very big fischers harbour
i-737533g-L.jpg

The weather prediction for the following two day’s was good (F4-F3)
so on Thursday morning we left the mainland towards Scilly’s
Leaving land’s end the sea was quite shoppy, 2m to 3m waves at some points,
So the crossing took us 2.5 hrs
i-GWcw2CW-L.jpg

Despite the “mooring prohibited” sign, this pontoon was our only acces to the harbour in St-Mary’s,
i-DpZN4Nt-L.jpg

As The harbour master was out for lunch, we went to the village for some shopping and searching a B&B for some of our group.
When we came back, our boat was moved away from the pontoon,
After visiting the harbor master, everything was clear and our stay was arranged,
A friendly local brought me back to the boat
i-9Rx6f76-L.jpg

Yes we have seen the white sand beaches with palm trees, the temperature was not that hot, 17°C, but a few degrees hotter then mainland UK at that moment.

The birds were friendly and curious,
and hungry perhaps, as we were having our lunch, and dropped some pieces in the water
i-BvKbb2N-L.jpg

At evening we had dinner on the boat,
Only some butter, salt and pepper was needed
i-ptXJMH6-L.jpg

Water temp was 14°C, rather cold for diving
We did 3 dives on the scilly’s, 2 on wrecks, one on the easter islands where there are seals
i-gQtfkfW-L.jpg

Cruising back to Newlyn only took us 1.5 hrs (about 40 Nm)

The remaining time before the liftout in penzance, we did one more dive on “The Bucs” (Newlyn)

here swmbo is inspecting the boat after she was winched on the trailer
i-jxbksMF-L.jpg

and then driving back home
Here we were waiting for embarcation in Dover
i-Q4zcrgv-L.jpg

such a shame that we didn't cross the channel with our boat on the water, as the weather was so nice on saturday

I can assure you that this was a nice and exiting adventure
and a discovery of a nice area aswell !

For those who like to see more,
On here are many pictures;
http://www.duikclubdolfijn.be/?pagina=foto&albumid=52#fotobegin

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Water temp was 14°C, rather cold for diving
We did 3 dives on the scilly’s, 2 on wrecks, one on the easter islands where there are seals
14°C "rather cold"?!? Geez, now that's an understatement...! :eek:
And no dry suit, as I understand from the pics? Respect!
Too bad that your friend and his son couldn't be with you... :(
Many thanks for a very interesting report.

AndieMac

Visit site
Very nice Bart, I went on to the link of your dive club and checked out all the photos, you didn't seem to get tired of eating all those lobsters :).

You do a good job aboard to store all the gear for 5 divers, even hanging up and constantly drying the wetsuits, must be challenging enough.

You must be a tolerant skipper to allow the crew to feed the gulls from the boat, then let them land on it :eek:. I'm afraid the gulls are my least liked sea creatures.

Thanks for sharing the adventure.

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
Wow what a trip, thanks for taking the time to post all the ace pictures. Sorry to hear the loss of your 2 friends, but I'm sure they'd have wanted you to go and do it I'm their memory.

Regards Paul

Gemini

Visit site
Great Photos, looks like it went well, are you back next year as you have only scratched the surface with the diving in that area, sea temps are about 16d +/- in August, but warmer air temp.

The Dog Shark is known as a Dog Fish or Rock Salmon once it gets to the Fish & Chip shops or Huss if up North, the scallops look good sizes.

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
GREAT PICS GREAT POST thanks for sharing it............but i have to ask, HOW did you get away with towing the boat on uk roads without the props covered ???????......it happened to me once when the prop bag was stolen in a motorway servise carpark...i got back on the motorway and was pulled up by 2 YES 2 !!!! plod cars in a contraflow and threatened with life behind bars !!!!!!!!!!!!!...............AGAIN GREAT POST THANK YOU

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
GREAT PICS GREAT POST thanks for sharing it............but i have to ask, HOW did you get away with towing the boat on uk roads without the props covered ???????......it happened to me once when the prop bag was stolen in a motorway servise carpark...i got back on the motorway and was pulled up by 2 YES 2 !!!! plod cars in a contraflow and threatened with life behind bars !!!!!!!!!!!!!...............AGAIN GREAT POST THANK YOU

As a possible diversion from the main subject. I always tow without a prop cover with a similar trailer to that shown in the pictures. I was told a while back that as the light bar/number plate frame extends beyond the end of the boat ie. is the furthest point back, effectively enclosing the props that no further prop cover was needed. Therefore the boat is fully "on" the trailer rather than protruding off the back.

Martin

BartW

www.amptec.be
are you back next year as you have only scratched the surface with the diving in that area,

that's exactly our feeling, so yes we will be back, perhaps not next year, as we have some other idea's to choose from, like Denmark, Schotland, Brittany,
but we will let youi know what we choose,

within 3 weeks I go to SOF Cassis again, this is still my favourite,
perhaps not that challanging, no tides, less cold,...
but more relaxed

BartW

www.amptec.be

honestly speaking, I never ever thought about a prop cover,
Nobody ever asked me about it, and I tow the boat at least 10000km'ers a year.
I am not sure what the general opinion is about this.

Firefly625

Visit site
A great report with some fab pictures. Despite the dreadful occurrence prior to your trip it really looks as if you made the best of it.

Thanks for posting.

Took the words right out my keyboard.

BartW, your English is obviously excellent and puts me, and most of the UK to shame, but you make some really lovely spelling mistakes, I am sure SWMBO would love it when the sea was shoppy! :):):)

duncan

Visit site
great post/report/story

thanks

on the prop cover it's normal to use a high Vis prop cover if the props are protruding beyond the lighting bar. I think it's legal requirement if they(or anything else) protrudes more than a certain distance but I don't have that figure, or any other reference to the situation.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Thanks for sharing that adventure Bart. Glad you made it to Scilly (the locals, I'm told, don't like it to be called "the Scillies"). I like your compressor set up - I reckon you have picked the best place to install it. Nice E120 on the dash too :) Good luck for the Cassis/SoF trip

ReneJK

Visit site
Hi Bart
sorry to hear about your loss , my sympathy
but a great trip and pics here .. you make me jealous as our boat is being at the VP workshop again :(

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Great photos, Bart. You must be seriously fed up with the Med to bring your boat to the UK:) Now you know what kind of weather we have to put up with

BartW

www.amptec.be
but you make some really lovely spelling mistakes

Oh yes, I have to apologise for my spelling :eek:
thats why I limit the number of words in my posts to a absolute minimum,

each time when I previeuw and re read my posts, I find other spelling mistakes, but I stopped bothering about it :rolleyes:

thank's for posting :)