Will Schengen be suspended for two or three years.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
People ask the question, as I did. What I have published isn't my opinion, it's the opinion of Europe Direct who I suspect know the situation better than either of us.
It is still an opinion. Let me put it this way. Short sentences. I visit my boat in Greece. From Sweden to Preveza airport i must go via Stansted or Gatwick. I enter Greece as a UK citizen on a flight from UK. I should get my passport stamped like everyone else but that would mean it would attach my visit to the automatic short stay visa. Immediatly that happened I would be png in Schengen after 90 days.

But I live in Schengen so to prevent that ridiculouse situation i present my residence card and my passport is not stamped. The reason for this is because there is no way I can be associated with a Short stay SCHENGEN visa. It follows that I would enter Schengan via Greece with a Swedish Residence permit. I will not be under the rules of a short stay visa and be forced out of schengen after 90 days. This is simply because it would cause a bigger problem for the EU further down the line as the rules would contradict themselves. So they fudge it with opinions to give the impression they have everything under control. There is no way a permanent resident can obey the rules for a short stay Schengen visa. It is absolutely impossible. That applies also when a resident crosses from his resident state to another schengen state.

And that is my opinion. Oh I forgot to mention the "opinion" that a resident can move around the rest of Schengen only as a tourist. Yes, agreed, he cannot work except in his residence state. He behaves as a tourist only.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
It is still an opinion. Let me put it this way. Short sentences. I visit my boat in Greece. From Sweden to Preveza airport i must go via Stansted or Gatwick. I enter Greece as a UK citizen on a flight from UK. I should get my passport stamped like everyone else but that would mean it would attach my visit to the automatic short stay visa. Immediatly that happened I would be png in Schengen after 90 days.

But I live in Schengen so to prevent that ridiculouse situation i present my residence card and my passport is not stamped. The reason for this is because there is no way I can be associated with a Short stay SCHENGEN visa. It follows that I would enter Schengan via Greece with a Swedish Residence permit. I will not be under the rules of a short stay visa and be forced out of schengen after 90 days. This is simply because it would cause a bigger problem for the EU further down the line as the rules would contradict themselves. So they fudge it with opinions to give the impression they have everything under control. There is no way a permanent resident can obey the rules for a short stay Schengen visa. It is absolutely impossible. That applies also when a resident crosses from his resident state to another schengen state.

And that is my opinion. Oh I forgot to mention the "opinion" that a resident can move around the rest of Schengen only as a tourist. Yes, agreed, he cannot work except in his residence state. He behaves as a tourist only.

Be careful,blue, stating your opinions on here with the Portuguese members will be seen as trolling ,

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
It follows that I would enter Schengan via Greece with a Swedish Residence permit. I will not be under the rules of a short stay visa and be forced out of schengen after 90 days. This is simply because it would cause a bigger problem for the EU further down the line as the rules would contradict themselves. So they fudge it with opinions to give the impression they have everything under control. There is no way a permanent resident can obey the rules for a short stay Schengen visa. It is absolutely impossible. That applies also when a resident crosses from his resident state to another schengen state.

When I received my permanent residence card years ago, was told it can't be used for travel, has that changed? Don't understand the bit about being forced out of Schengen after 90 days, we all are as third country citizens, except for country of residence.

Why not email Europe Direct, explain your situation and see how you can avoid potential problems?