Which Lymington marina?

PEJ

Visit site
Thinking of going to Lymington. Not been before. Which is the better marina?

I have a 50ft boat so easy to park would suit! The website for Berthon does not seem to explicitly say they take visitors. Do they?

stuartwineberg

Visit site
I have only been to Berthons. I am sure they can take boats of your size and they definitely take visitors. They also have fuel. Very good quality marina, wide pontoons etc. and very close to the town However on the expensive side - it's the only one I have been to that adds VAT to the quoted prices. Watch out for the jet thruster on the ferry as you go in - it can push you right across the river. I am sure others will let you know what the other marina is like. There are threads about the big ferries. The smart money is to wait off the entrance until a ferry is going in and follow it - acts like a sort of snow plough, making sure you get a clear run! Web site here http://www.berthon.co.uk/lymington-marina.html

jfm

Visit site
Good choice

I was in Berthon 1999-2002. Both marinas are nice but I marginally prefer Berthon. Lymington itself is beautiful, and it's a shorter walk in the evening from Berthon than from LYH

It's the town of Lymington and the lovely river and quick access to open water that are so nice, not the marinas themselves. Indeed both marinas have "form" that makes you not love the businesses. In the heady days of 1999 LYH demanded a non returnable fee to put you on their waitlist, and Berthon were pretty snooty

Berthon takes visiting boats and tends to have berths available. It's particularly suited to larger boats and has several large berths and nice fat electricity supplies. I parked my Sq78 on a hammerhead there for a few days early last summer before shipping her to the med

Last edited:

z1ppy

Visit site
For positioning, Berthon would be best as others have said, short walk into the town, great facilities if prehaps a little on the higher scale... get what you pay for usually.

Not sure i would fancy trying for town quay in Lymington, sure you could get on there if there was space if its empty but its usually pretty full.

Lymington has some decent pubs for most tastes and of course, couple of good curry houses and some nice shops. i am sure Henry did a destination report on Lymington a year or so ago, worth trying to dig it out?

We tried the Angel and the pig a month of so back, great beer and a fantastic steak. The Mayflower (in the carpark by the lifeboat station) has always given us good solid pub food and even when packed, staff have been great and found us a table (even on mothers day with 5 of us and 2 dogs and no booking!)

Chris Evans has gone into partnership with the owner of the Haven bar at the yacht haven and apparently its all been changed. i was in there a few months ago and it had a bad atmosphere so i left pretty sharp but maybe that was just me on a bad day, we will try again and there is no doubt, it has a lovely view.

As an aside the owners of berthon have a lovely house just down the road from me and, i think, a very nice yellow lab who is extremly freiendly! i repatriated him a few months ago after he went exploring through their fences!!

Firefly625

Visit site
+1 for Berthons, only place to go IMO,

like Zippy we had the same bad atmosphere experience in the Haven bar last year... as the weather was half decent we went outside and did stay for a bite to eat, nothing memorable....but maybe its changed?

Moodynick of this parish is the chap to contact...

only thing that does surprise me about berthons is the rough old / dirty pontoons.... well past there sell by date...

dj43

Visit site
Thinking of going to Lymington. Not been before. Which is the better marina?

I have a 50ft boat so easy to park would suit! The website for Berthon does not seem to explicitly say they take visitors. Do they?

Speak to the harbour master as you will not be able to get on the quay, but they have other moorings .

Talulah

Visit site

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
For positioning, Berthon would be best as others have said, short walk into the town, great facilities if prehaps a little on the higher scale... get what you pay for usually.

Not sure i would fancy trying for town quay in Lymington, sure you could get on there if there was space if its empty but its usually pretty full.

Lymington has some decent pubs for most tastes and of course, couple of good curry houses and some nice shops. i am sure Henry did a destination report on Lymington a year or so ago, worth trying to dig it out?

We tried the Angel and the pig a month of so back, great beer and a fantastic steak. The Mayflower (in the carpark by the lifeboat station) has always given us good solid pub food and even when packed, staff have been great and found us a table (even on mothers day with 5 of us and 2 dogs and no booking!)

Chris Evans has gone into partnership with the owner of the Haven bar at the yacht haven and apparently its all been changed. i was in there a few months ago and it had a bad atmosphere so i left pretty sharp but maybe that was just me on a bad day, we will try again and there is no doubt, it has a lovely view.

As an aside the owners of berthon have a lovely house just down the road from me and, i think, a very nice yellow lab who is extremly freiendly! i repatriated him a few months ago after he went exploring through their fences!!

I was in the Angel and Pig on Saturday with my colleague apart from the odd looks of disgust (she is blonde and half my age) we somehow managed to rack up 130 quid bill. It was however very good both in terms of service, the wine, the food and the atmosphere. So much so I may even take the wife...

I have not yet tried the joint venture with Mr Evans but I have heard good things so far BUT as I have said not tried it yet.

lisilou

Visit site
Booked into Berthon sat night. Will be a first for us but the everso nice man on the end of the phone swung it for me. Goes by the name of Nick I believe ;) ;).
L
:)

PEJ

Visit site
Well despite all the advice to go to Berthon I have booked in to LYH.

Why? Because Berthon is full up. Someone called Lisa got the last available berth apparently. Huh! :(

lisilou

Visit site
That's what he was saying on the phone. Friday I think he said was his last day. A shame I won't get to meet him.
L
:)