Valiant sailing boat

Rhylsailor

Visit site
I have been looking at buying a valiant 22ft sailing boat but when looking around internet I can not find info on these only 40 or 32 ft ones...did valiant actually make these boats

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Note that Valiant may not be the name of the make of the boat, but of the model (e.g. Bloggs Valiant). (It might even be just the name of the particular boat.)

I am not aware of a 22ft Valiant, but the 18ft Valiant, which was a small cruiser from the early 70's with fin and bilge keel versions, is fairly common: Valiant 18 — Sailboat Guide

If it might be one of those (it wouldn't be the first time a boat was advertised with the wrong length, deliberately or inadvertently), a Google of 'Valiant 18' will find you lots of pictures, and also links to previous threads on this YBW forum about them.

Rhylsailor

Visit site
Thanks little sister I've attached a photo of the boat if anyone recognises the make a model

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200921-223914_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200921-223914_Samsung Internet.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 110

Rhylsailor

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies I'm gonna settle with a signet till I get to measure it on sunday ... I'm new to this sailing stuff and wanted to makes sure the insurance was accurate in case I sink it at sea

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
'Signet 20 & Signet 20 Mk 2:
LOA 19' 10",
Beam 6' 8",
Draft 3' (long fin) or 2' (bilge keel).
A proper little pocket cruiser and good all-weather performer from early 1970s, with a long production run and many builders (and varying build standards). American design, traditional looks, modest accommodation.'

(from Hoskyns Yacht Directories' The A-Z Good Yacht Guide)

p.s. From a rummage around the internet it seems that among the builders in the UK were Hurley, who had a pretty good reputation (there was at some point some info on the Signet on the Hurley Owners' Club website), and also Newbridge Boats, who had a reputation for rather patchy build quality control.

Last edited:

Tam Lin

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies I'm gonna settle with a signet till I get to measure it on sunday ... I'm new to this sailing stuff and wanted to makes sure the insurance was accurate in case I sink it at sea

If you are new to sailing then don’t pay too much for it. People are literally giving boats away at the moment.