The Spy Who Loved Me

gandacle

Visit site
Gents, gents

The Fairey's are truly lovely but can't believe no one has mentioned the most attractive bond girl of them all - have they ever cast one as classically perfect as Daniela Bianchi?!

Am anticipating a monster can of worms has just been opened...

oceandrive

www.oceandrivecharter.com
Dont know about the boat but I found that little marina once by accident. We had lunch there and nearly needed a mortgage to pay the bill. worse than that they wanted 25€ per head for the kids to use the pool!!!

tamarix

Visit site
I've found it do I win a prize ?
She's in Shepperton marina (on the Thames).
Looks like somebody is spending some money on her

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Did you notice what was going on at the back (presumably he's keeping the jets). Would these have been the origonal propulsion in 1976? I can see the glass from the screen has been removed, any idea what's being done woth the interior (looked like it needed gutting from the earlier pics)?

All in all, I would have thought an extremely expensive job to get her back to original condition - £50-75,000 perhaps?

petem

Latestarter1

Visit site
I remember looking at the advert and thinking where did the money that the guy claimed to have spent actually go? It appeared in all the photos to be thoroughly shedlike, and for the scrap value of the engines and jetdrives worth about half what he was asking. Neglected high performance marine diesels (they were big Cummins V8s IIRC, 855s) are almost invariably a big pit into which you can pour money to no useful purpose. Pretty boat though, renovated and re-engined with some new Cummins QSBs it would be a beast.

I violently agree, money pits with knobs on!

Looking at the description motors are VTA 903's 450 hp not much power out of 14.8 liters but sounds like far more.

Two major problems for any potential owner, cost of spare parts and finding a tech who actually knows his way around one.

Thousands in service with U.S military and other forces including U.K, however Cummins wanted to ditch the engine about twenty years ago. Compromise was reached and tooling was sold to U.S. government and remained in place, with government getting a wee kick back on sales. Result everything still available but at Yanmar pricing levels.

Complex engine which requires real experince to set up. Few years ago Serco took over running British air bases in Germany, crash tenders had VTA903's in them, military staff who had left put all the manuals in the skip and I had to get them going from scratch, very expensive learning curve. Sensibly budget for £20/25K per engine to re-build properly.

No project for dreamers.

`

MapisM

Visit site
I must have missed this thread, back in its days.
Definitely not a Colombo. The overall lines might resemble Colombo styling, but none of the details do.
Intermarine she could well be, though it's difficult to be 100% positive.
But she has a military flavour in many respects, which is consistent with Intermarine heritage.
In fact, They built many FPBs, all the way up to the 70+kts ones designed by Buzzi for IT customs, which afaik are the fastest patrol boats anywhere in Europe.
Btw, I would think that the horizontal mullion which jfm spotted is designed to integrate the navlight into the windshield, rather than having it attached/exposed somewhere. Which is another element considered in the design of boats supposed to withstand every sort of abuse.
Nice machine, it would be great to see her properly restored, though I'm sure LS1 is right when he says it's no project for dreamers... :)

petem

Thanks Mapis. If it was my money I think I'd re-engine to something a bit more modern and try and emulate the original exhaust note. That wouldn't be cheating would it?

If anyone finds themselves as Shepperton, would be interesting to know if the boat's still there.

Pete

petem

Good man - I love this place! Don't forget your camera ;¬)

What's interesting is that there's a comment on the Youtube clip last week from someone in Italy.... "I confirm that it is an Intermarine '40, actually that boat still alive".

Makes me wonder if there was two boats, the Sardinia one and possibly another one that was used for the scene where the boat docks in Atlantis (may be this is the one at Sheperton)? Maybe there's a surviving one in Italy still.

Pete

Latestarter1

Visit site
Thanks Mapis. If it was my money I think I'd re-engine to something a bit more modern and try and emulate the original exhaust note. That wouldn't be cheating would it?

If anyone finds themselves as Shepperton, would be interesting to know if the boat's still there.

Pete

I am open to a commission........Two 903's equals over three tonnes, two 480's sqidge over 1,300 kg. Out with whole drive line, jets you can keep em! Pair of Mercruiser NXT drives will certainly be no heavier than those old jets.

I feel 60+ knots and a big rooster tail coming on real easy!

Noise, pipe motors up with 6 inch tubes high transom exits with no mufflers just as Fountain do, and it will sound like it is on steroids.

Witnessed an ex Sir Max Aitken Cummins V8 race special 742 cu inch shorter stroke older version of 903 running on the dyno at well over 3,000 rpm terryfing, two of these in Gypsy Girl or Merry Go Round on CTC race must have been at best tedious. Short stroke diesel engine simply nuts.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
If it was my money I think I'd re-engine to something a bit more modern and try and emulate the original exhaust note. That wouldn't be cheating would it?
Well, if I should restore her aiming also at some sort of historical value, I guess that keeping the original propulsion would be "de rigueur".
Other than that, I'd put a couple of V10 Ilmors mated with their Indy outdrives. And straight exhaust, of course.
No diesel sound on earth can beat that concert, let alone the performance. :)

MapisM

Visit site
Noise, pipe motors up with 6 inch tubes high transom exits with no mufflers just as Fountain do, and it will sound like it is on steroids.
LOL, I was writing my reply and got a phone call in between, so I didn't read your comment before posting mine.
A clear cut case of great minds think alike, if I've ever seen one! :D

Latestarter1

Visit site
LOL, I was writing my reply and got a phone call in between, so I didn't read your comment before posting mine.
A clear cut case of great minds think alike, if I've ever seen one! :D

Not a Fountain but.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqVMkca4FaA&playnext=1&list=PL747C2F7BA3F40F4B&feature=results_main

Involved in building a diesel race car to take on Rolls Royce Meteor (Automotive version of Merlin) powered car for endurance race. Guys have poster on the workshop wall 'gasoline is for girls'

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Niiiice!
But on these boats, a petrol engine spinning at 6000+ RPM is just the ticket, imho.

PS: re. gasoline being for girls, I'd be curious to see them going anywhere near the speed of this video with diesel mills...

Last edited:

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
I am open to a commission........Two 903's equals over three tonnes, two 480's sqidge over 1,300 kg. Out with whole drive line, jets you can keep em! Pair of Mercruiser NXT drives will certainly be no heavier than those old jets.

I feel 60+ knots and a big rooster tail coming on real easy!

Witnessed an ex Sir Max Aitken Cummins V8 race special 742 cu inch shorter stroke older version of 903 running on the dyno at well over 3,000 rpm terryfing, two of these in Gypsy Girl or Merry Go Round on CTC race must have been at best tedious. Short stroke diesel engine simply nuts.

Ooooooooohh...... Now your talking!! :D