Targa 40 Battery Wiring

LUNA

Visit site
hi , just wondering, our Targa 40 didnt come with Genny .. i am going to install a 240v Inverter for now.. fitted few on my other prev boats , just for if we are anchored up for the day and need to use few bits.. anyway just looking at the battery set up here

anyone know how they have wired this.. which ones are engine batts and house batts. i thought they would have been wired separate..

most boats have Bat 1 Engine 1 / Bat 2 Engine 2 / Other Bats House etc which is ideal setup

Is this standard setup on Targas

Any help be great :encouragement:

YV85h9o.jpg

VicS

Visit site
I agree with Pinnacle. Left and centre make up the domestic bank. The right hand one is the engine start battery.

However ideally the + and - connections to the house battery bank should be from opposite batteries , not both from the same one.
Keep the common negative connection on the centre one but move the + connection from the centre one to the LH one

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Pinnacle and VicS are almost there, but not quite: the rh battery is a dedicated engine start battery (for starboard iirc); the centre and lh batteries are the house bank *and* engine start for port. And yes, this is the standard wiring for T40s. The house bank is charged by the charger; the dedicated engine start battery is only ever charged by the alternator.

LUNA

Visit site
Pinnacle and VicS are almost there, but not quite: the rh battery is a dedicated engine start battery (for starboard iirc); the centre and lh batteries are the house bank *and* engine start for port. And yes, this is the standard wiring for T40s. The house bank is charged by the charger; the dedicated engine start battery is only ever charged by the alternator.

Nice one jimmy . that sounds better .. not a bad setup then.. :encouragement: was bit dissapointed before thinking both engines rely on 1 battery ..

jcwads

Visit site

Which now makes sense why my Starboard engine is not charging properly (alternator issue)...

Problem solved, thanks JTB!

rlw

Visit site
I installed a victron multiplus charger invertor in my Targa 40. I like them a lot as you can regulate the shore supply amps and they stop charging if the load gets to high so help if someone puts on a kettle if the boiler is heating. I did this after the original charger went up in smoke. Thought the boat was on fire. No damage though. Fairly ease to install.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
I installed a victron multiplus charger invertor in my Targa 40. I like them a lot as you can regulate the shore supply amps and they stop charging if the load gets to high so help if someone puts on a kettle if the boiler is heating. I did this after the original charger went up in smoke. Thought the boat was on fire. No damage though. Fairly ease to install.

R, which specific model did you install?

PS how's the boat hunting going?

rlw

Visit site
Hi Jimmy,

I installed the Multiplus 1200. Did not go higher as we had a genny. Second one I installed and very happy with the product. Installed in the place of the original charger and connected up the output from the changeover switch in the corner to the multiplus and back to the box/inside panel feed. This way the unit works powered from genny and shore. On my previous boat I had a Multiplus 1600 and came into a small inland marina with 6 amp shore supply. Turned the multiplus to invertor so I could run the 2KW boiler. It took the extra amps out of the battery and recharged when there was room. Been sold since.

Been to see a V55 with D12's this weekend. Bit more dated than the T40 but tics all the boxes at a practical level and leaves some spare cash to deal with any issues. That said the heart is still on a T52 so mind not made up yet!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
hi , just wondering, our Targa 40 didnt come with Genny .. i am going to install a 240v Inverter for now.. fitted few on my other prev boats , just for if we are anchored up for the day and need to use few bits.. anyway just looking at the battery set up here

anyone know how they have wired this.. which ones are engine batts and house batts. i thought they would have been wired separate..

most boats have Bat 1 Engine 1 / Bat 2 Engine 2 / Other Bats House etc which is ideal setup

Is this standard setup on Targas

Any help be great :encouragement:

View attachment 70271

Luna, it's worth reading the manual for the detailed instructions on starting an engine from the opposite bank in the event you find one is flat. Even if you don't read it now, you should remember that the instructions are there.

LUNA

Visit site
Luna, it's worth reading the manual for the detailed instructions on starting an engine from the opposite bank in the event you find one is flat. Even if you don't read it now, you should remember that the instructions are there.

does anyone have a digital copy of targa 40 manual ..id be interested in having one.. i didnt get one with boat. Cheers

jcwads

Visit site
does anyone have a digital copy of targa 40 manual ..id be interested in having one.. i didnt get one with boat. Cheers

I can take mine into the office next week and have it copied for you. PM me your email address :encouragement:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
It would be a handy feature on the forum to have a owners manual area for boats. Just a thought...

Remember there is copyright on some of them. Despite that, I have some manuals and make them available to anyone who asks for one on my website. I don't have a T40 one but I know a few people that would appreciate a copy so please forward onto me too!

Rocksteadee

Visit site
Assuming that the rh single battery is the starter, I would expect to see the -ve cable come from that battery, as this is a very heavy high current cable the joint should be directly onto that battery. The domestic -ve can then be linked to this

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Assuming that the rh single battery is the starter, I would expect to see the -ve cable come from that battery, as this is a very heavy high current cable the joint should be directly onto that battery. The domestic -ve can then be linked to this

To answer your point in detail, the -ve of all three batteries are commoned as shown in the OP's diagram; the rh battery is the dedicated stbd engine start battery, and the -ve is taken from that battery to the bus bar via a very short cable. From the bus bar it is distributed as required.