Stocking up spares in the UK vs rest of the world?

Kelpie

Visit site
Hoping to embark on our Atlantic circuit this year, finances and covid permitting. OK we might not make it that far, but the other side of Biscay as a minimum would be good.

I have a hunch that I should be sourcing as much stuff as possible right now, before I leave the UK. I have internet access, a postal address, and a few more weeks to wait for things to arrive. So I get things on eBay, Amazon, and any online chandlers.

Once we are out on the circuit, just how much worse will the prices and availability be? We're planning a fairly standard route- Portugal, Canaries, Caribbean. Obviously we want the boat to be in good nick before setting off, but there are a couple of projects we might not get around to, or things we expect should last another year or two (e.g. bits of running rigging).

Gibeltarik

Visit site
The only problem is that HMRC (and Portuguese customs) are likely to charge you for exporting the spares now that we are not part of the EU. Take advice!

Good idea though to top up on spares before departing although it might be less hassle to order them from within the EU for delivery in Portugal.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Many folks are finding problems having spares delivered from UK to Europe. Some suppliers don't want the paperwork so won't post, carriers are adding charges and then there's the customs clearance and charges on arrival after maybe 4 weeks wait. I would stock up on as many spares as possible before leaving, particularly anything with imperial thread/sizing.

nortada

Visit site
As you will have only so much room, I would investigate alternative sourcing from within the EU. In advance, you never know what you will need.

For example, companies such Ayamar in Ayamonte (Ayamar Nautico: The premier Marine Chandlery in Spain) can source much of what you may need and deliver it to you in Spain and Portugal so no hassle to you.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Over the years when people ask about advise sailing off into the sun set i always said get every thing you can done before leaving , you not only find it much cheaper to buy stuff but there more to hand and easier to get hold off , and thats even more important now then ever before .
If you have job that you can do on the way yourself and you got the bits you need to hand thats fine.
You often here people saying it much cheaper to get things done in North Africa or say Turkey and they are but quality of workmanship at times isn't what it should be and unless you can and know how some thing need to be done your in their hand ,
add to that in say north Africa parts are hard to come by and import them is one night mare after another .
Although we are still managing to get some parts from the UK by sending them to relation , getting them repacked and sent out again , its taken a lot of time , at this time we have one parcel that was posted on the 15 March with a 10 day delivery time . I just about given up on it but this more we notice its now in Rome so with some luck we may get it this week or may endup getting a demand of payment from the carrier.
Putting that all to one side there many company's in the EU you can buy on line but you probably going to pay more the only advantages is normally shipping is much cheaper then UK company's

nortada

Visit site
Over the years when people ask about advise sailing off into the sun set i always said get every thing you can done before leaving , you not only find it much cheaper to buy stuff but there more to hand and easier to get hold off , and thats even more important now then ever before .
If you have job that you can do on the way yourself and you got the bits you need to hand thats fine.
You often here people saying it much cheaper to get things done in North Africa or say Turkey and they are but quality of workmanship at times isn't what it should be and unless you can and know how some thing need to be done your in their hand ,
add to that in say north Africa parts are hard to come by and import them is one night mare after another .
Although we are still managing to get some parts from the UK by sending them to relation , getting them repacked and sent out again , its taken a lot of time , at this time we have one parcel that was posted on the 15 March with a 10 day delivery time . I just about given up on it but this more we notice its now in Rome so with some luck we may get it this week or may endup getting a demand of payment from the carrier.
Putting that all to one side there many company's in the EU you can buy on line but you probably going to pay more the only advantages is normally shipping is much cheaper then UK company's

Horses for courses.

The OP is doing the Atlantic Circuit so they are unlikely to have to source spares in N Africa.

Whilst some replacement items (filters, seals etc.) are easy to identify, many aren’t so it is too easy to carry loads of expensive items on the ‘maybe need it principle’ that will take up space and never be used.

It is true to say of late we have been spoiled with easy, cheap deliveries in Europe and unless you sourced within county this largely ceased with Brexit. Nevertheless, the powerful search engines still exist so locating a good source for your requirements at a reasonable price shouldn’t be too difficult. I gave such an example in #4.

Should you need it, getting good workmanship is a totally different issue and nothing has changed on that front.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Horses for courses.

The OP is doing the Atlantic Circuit so they are unlikely to have to source spares in N Africa.

Whilst some replacement items (filters, seals etc.) are easy to identify, many aren’t so it is too easy to carry loads of expensive items on the ‘maybe need it principle’ that will take up space and never be used.

It is true to say of late we have been spoiled with easy, cheap deliveries in Europe and unless you sourced within county this largely ceased with Brexit. Nevertheless, the powerful search engines still exist so locating a good source for your requirements at a reason able price shouldn’t be too difficult. I gave such an example in #4.

Should you need it, getting good workmanship is a totally different issue and nothing has changed on that front.
I'm talking from a cruiser point of view not from a livaboard ,
When you making passage over a large span of water and you filter, seal or a sail needed to be replaced you won't be source then from anywhere but your spares your carrying.
I give N Africa Turkey as example and yea the OP could possibly have to use N Africa as a stop over many do.

And as you said the OP is hoping to do an Altantic Cross ,
if you really want to pick on words, how what you can or how easy it is to get anything in Europe as any thing to do with it , unless like many others who had plains to go around the world end up in one European county and staying there.

GHA

Visit site
Probably most new cruisers have bags of spares they never open, so easy to get carried away when you're leaping into the unknown. Plenty of consumables like seals, gaskets etc are a good idea but most you'll get along the way, just ask around , so much will be lots cheaper where the fishing fleet get theirs. Europe SVB24,com are well known and delivery reliable. If stuff is breaking on a cruising boat then is some ways it's better to ask why and change it to something which doesn't break.

While near an ebay delivery address though might be worth stocking up on a load of dyneema, maybe some butyl tape, self amalgamating tape, heatshrink & terminals, stuff like that.

In some ways the further you go it gets easier, some backstreet shop on the island will be able to rewind a starter motor by hand.. :)

Graham376

Visit site
Europe SVB24,com are well known and delivery reliable.
In some ways the further you go it gets easier, some backstreet shop on the island will be able to rewind a starter motor by hand.. :)

SVB24 have very good reputation but I'm not so sure about a back street hand job ;)

These Irish chandlers may be worth a try, no local EU customs involved with delivery and English speaking -

UNION CHANDLERY - MARINE AND YACHT SUPPLIES (uchandlery.ie)

Marine Parts Direct | Boat Engine Parts

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks for the insights and advice.
I should clarify, I am not talking about getting anything sent out from the UK. Anything that is that specific would clearly be best to stock up on before leaving.
It's really just general chandlery. And it's easy to say "fix everything before you go" but I'm pretty certain that the only cruiser who has ever reached the bottom of the jobs list is also the one who never actually goes anywhere.
To give a few examples of what's on my mind- the sprayhood will need some attention at some point, but it's perfectly serviceable right now. The sanitation hoses are a bit smelly and I'd like to replace them with better quality ones. Some bits of running rigging will need replaced at some point. Etc etc. All things that won't stop us leaving, but I'm wondering how much of our diminishing budget to spend on stuff now, in case it turns out to be much more expensive to source down the line.

GHA

Visit site
....And it's easy to say "fix everything before you go" ...
A fundamental definition error of a cruising boat there... ;)
A cruising boat is a verb, it's something you do and will never be finished, not a noun that will stay fixed ;) ;) Good idea to get used to that early on, a lot of people get surprised about the amount of time it takes just to keep a cruising boat going.
And most stuff will likely be cheaper along the way, some stuff might be worth getting now like in #8, dinghy patches & glue maybe as well. But usually follow the fishermen and it will be cheaper :)
Caravan/motorhome shops can be handy as well.

Graham376

Visit site
I should clarify, I am not talking about getting anything sent out from the UK. Anything that is that specific would clearly be best to stock up on before leaving.
It's really just general chandlery. And it's easy to say "fix everything before you go" but I'm pretty certain that the only cruiser who has ever reached the bottom of the jobs list is also the one who never actually goes anywhere.
To give a few examples of what's on my mind- the sprayhood will need some attention at some point, but it's perfectly serviceable right now. The sanitation hoses are a bit smelly and I'd like to replace them with better quality ones. Some bits of running rigging will need replaced at some point. Etc etc. All things that won't stop us leaving, but I'm wondering how much of our diminishing budget to spend on stuff now, in case it turns out to be much more expensive to source down the line.

Things like sprayhood repairs won't be a problem, lots of back street upholsterers around. Imperial sized hoses can be hard to source so I would replace those before leaving. Best thing to carry are folding bikes, makes life so much easier when hunting around for spares, daily shopping or sight seeing.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think my words where fix what you can before leaving ,
No one suggestion well at less I'm not to take spare starter motor or altnator although many cruiser do have them as well as motor for auto pilots if they plain to cruise especially if your going to remote places
but a good selection of seals for water pump seal , impellor, if you can hold of a spare pump even better ,belts, filters, sail repaire V90 and 69 threat ,luff tape everything you need to service the engine and so on ,
there are wear and tear stuff you going to have to repair not if but when.

Fixing a toilet pipe or repairing a bimini isn't here or there .
But say you want to equipped the boat with solar panels or have stainless made up , your better off doing these job before leaving .

Yes of course there places like SVB , Notec , Nootica ,Nautilus,Uship and many more where you can get spares parts from on line but you have to be base somewhere to get them sent to you of course if your happy paying 50 60,70 euros a night in a marina waiting for an impellor plus the shipping them , whats the problem.
Many have rush off on the cruising and get away without problems just as many haven't been so lucky,
There one hell of a difference from some one who base some where and some one who's not and on the move .
But hey what do I know .

Last edited:

RobbieW

Visit site
I'd suggest consumables are worth having a supply of. Filters, belts, impellors etc can often be found in the UK at sensible prices if you can do a bit of research and avoid manufacturers prices. I have a Nanni engine, I now have a file with equivalent part numbers for filters, belts etc on that. ASAP are often a good resource.

capnsensible

Visit site
There are heaps of places on a standard Atlantic circuit for spares and repairs. It's not a problem.

Once you leave mainland Europe, first stop normally Canaries. You can get anything done. People often lift prior to going across for that last check and anti foul.

Basic chandlery in Cape Verdes but good for robust repairs.

All through the Windies, all the main islands support superyachts. Our size is easy. Places like St. Lucia offer tax free sales to yachts in transit. You can get life rafts serviced there too. St Maarten has several large chandlers on Cole Bay. You can get anything there, probably better supplied than some UK south coast harbours.

To fix what you break on the way back, Mid Atlantic Yacht Services in Horta can also fix anything. Rigging, sails, engines, electrics, all of it.

Saves carting a load of stuff around....enjoy!

Kelpie

Visit site
There are heaps of places on a standard Atlantic circuit for spares and repairs. It's not a problem.

Once you leave mainland Europe, first stop normally Canaries. You can get anything done. People often lift prior to going across for that last check and anti foul.

All through the Windies, all the main islands support superyachts. Our size is easy. Places like St. Lucia offer tax free sales to yachts in transit. You can get life rafts serviced there too. St Maarten has several large chandlers on Cole Bay. You can get anything there, probably better supplied than some UK south coast harbours.

To fix what you break on the way back, Mid Atlantic Yacht Services in Horta can also fix anything. Rigging, sails, engines, electrics, all of it.

You're making it sound better than trying to buy everything where I am... £20 surcharges for Island postage... nearest chandlery a 7hr return trip away...etc etc!

nortada

Visit site
I'm talking from a cruiser point of view not from a livaboard ,
When you making passage over a large span of water and you filter, seal or a sail needed to be replaced you won't be source then from anywhere but your spares your carrying.
I give N Africa Turkey as example and yea the OP could possibly have to use N Africa as a stop over many do.

And as you said the OP is hoping to do an Altantic Cross ,
if you really want to pick on words, how what you can or how easy it is to get anything in Europe as any thing to do with it , unless like many others who had plains to go around the world end up in one European county and staying there.

Hey, I am not looking for an argument, just offering a point of view based on 20 years cruising and living on board and more importantly watching and listening to others.

I find the constant sales of treasures of the bilge, at knock down prices, to augment the cruising budget, instructive and a useful source of cheap spares?

True to say, if you are going off the beaten track then you may consider a different strategy but the Atlantic Circuit is a well trodden path so spares and support shouldn’t be too difficult to source at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

john_q

Visit site

Quite agree.

Currently locked down in the Western Caribbean, I carry spares and replace the,m by shipping a lot of stuff in from the US, cheaper and no VAT. Also once you are in the Caribbean, due to the US influence you will have to learn fractions of inches again and you can find imperial fittings no problem, metric can be more difficult in some places.

One other hint, do not focus on replacing the exact same part as you may not get it, buy what is available where you are. I had a CAV starter motor go bad on me, would not have been a problem into replace it in the UK but really expense in the US so we fitted an AC delco one, works fine