Southwold Entrance

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Hi all

We're thinking of taking a visit to Southwold at the beginning of April, and wondering about the passage options.

Being based in Shotley, ideally we'd leave there at HW and let the ebb take us north to Southwold, however this means we will probably arrive sometime around LW.

All the advice I've seen recommends entering in the latter part of the flood, which means either punching the tide on the way up or hanging around when we get there.

Boat is 36ft, draft 1.9m, and we hope to average at least 5 knots. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Plum

Visit site
You could take the ebb to arrive at, say, Orford Ness lighthouse (if its still standing) at LW then punch the tide the rest of the way to enter at half tide. If you take the ebb all the way to arrive at Southwold at LW and anchor for 3 hours to wait for enough water to enter your overall passage time will probably be longer.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
You could take the ebb to arrive at, say, Orford Ness lighthouse (if its still standing) at LW then punch the tide the rest of the way to enter at half tide. If you take the ebb all the way to arrive at Southwold at LW and anchor for 3 hours to wait for enough water to enter your overall passage time will probably be longer.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Cantata

Visit site
Always best to speak to the HM, they are well aware of depth constraints and will tell you the entry heading for best depth. Approaching from the S we too usually dawdle the last few miles against the new flood so we don’t arrive at LW.

John 32i

Visit site
The harbourmasters are very helpful and come out to assist with fender boards and lines so I would speak to them, we were last there in summer 2018, moored just in front of the Harbour Inn and had no problems with depths, I think there is generally around 2.2 m although maybe some areas are only
1.6 m Its a good weekend sail for us (from Levington) and a pleasant place to stay the night - follow the instructions in East Coast Pilot or on Southwold Harbour [Expanded View] - East Coast: pilotage, charts, photos and marine business listings

jimi

Visit site
iirc the shallowest part is in the harbour near the wall so if the worst happens and you take to the ground it’s not the end of the world. I draw 2m and came out at low water without touching although the depth thing is was reading zero

Daydream believer

Visit site
Get in your car & go & look first. Once you get over the realisation of what a dump the place is you will not bother.
I would imagine in April it would look even worse. Do not approach from the seaward side . The car will disappear down the potholes.
The town itself is nice though. You can go & get a coffee ( if you can find somewhere to park) to get over the shock.Southwold 1.jpg
I think that they moved the town away from the harbour to avoid being associated with it

Southwold 2.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Get in your car & go & look first. Once you get over the realisation of what a dump the place is you will not bother.
I would imagine in April it would look even worse. Do not approach from the seaward side . The car will disappear down the potholes.
The town itself is nice though. You can go & get a coffee ( if you can find somewhere to park) to get over the shock.

Actually we have been there by car many times ( and played the avoid the potholes without hitting pedestrians game ).

We would be going with an 84 year old grandmother for personal reasons.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site

The town itself is nice though. You can go & get a coffee ( if you can find somewhere to park) to get over the shock.
I think that they moved the town away from the harbour to avoid being associated with it

Excellent! The powers that be's strategy to keep the riff-raff away from the pleasant harbour and confined to chintzy places in town while their money's being taken off them is working a treat. ?

Digging those potholes was a stroke of genius. :D

Colvic Watson

Visit site
A lovely harbour with water for our 1.4m at any state. Does it really take a whole tide to get from Shotley? Surely withe the tide assistance it's a quick journey?