So quiet on the river .

Quint

Visit site
I can’t believe just how quiet the River Thames is this August empty locks empty moorings wherever I go the river seems to be deserted ! In fact it seems to be all most unusual to see another boat on the move ! Obviously the price of fuel must be a big factor but nevertheless with the problems of travelling abroad I would’ve thought the river would have been the obvious place for a staycation definitely not the case I see hardly any of the familiar Le Boats going up and down the river it does seem strange , nevertheless from a personal point of view long mate last it’s great having the entire river to myself?

Parabordi

Visit site
I can’t believe just how quiet the River Thames is this August empty locks empty moorings wherever I go the river seems to be deserted ! In fact it seems to be all most unusual to see another boat on the move ! Obviously the price of fuel must be a big factor but nevertheless with the problems of travelling abroad I would’ve thought the river would have been the obvious place for a staycation definitely not the case I see hardly any of the familiar Le Boats going up and down the river it does seem strange , nevertheless from a personal point of view long mate last it’s great having the entire river to myself?
You cant get water, you cant pumpout lots of shallow bits, the EA has killed it

Chris_d

Visit site
Keep hearing this but it doesn't seem to be the case in our area around Henley, absolutely 100's of brand new boats have appeared in the last 2 years, cruisers, wide beams and day boats galore the brokers can't get enough of them to sell.
However they don't seem to go very far!

• Haha
Reactions: Obi

Brayman

Visit site
I don't believe the price of fuel would affect river boats, I only used to fill up twice a year and we were out every weekend plus two to three week holidays..

Scapegoat

Visit site
Totally agree - at least downstream of Windsor. Last week we went downriver and saw loads of mooring spaces at Runnymede, Egham towpath, Staines, Laleham, Chertsey Lock, Shepperton, Weybridge, LLL, Sunbury(Kings Lawn), HCP, Kingston Bargewalk and Kingston Town Quay. Thought it might be an aberration on the way down but it was the same coming back. Every Lock was manned and no queues.
Happy Days :)

Northern Star

Visit site
Just had our 10 day summer cruise and have to agree that it was fairly quiet.

Even the Island mooring at Cliveden was empty for Friday and Sat night and Dorney lake was empty when we went upstream too.

oldgit

Visit site
Keep hearing this but it doesn't seem to be the case in our area around Henley, absolutely 100's of brand new boats have appeared in the last 2 years, cruisers, wide beams and day boats galore the brokers can't get enough of them to sell.
However they don't seem to go very far!

Six of one ....Half a dozen....
Hampton Court was jammed on our arrival in the river on a hot Sunday, managed to squeeze in at the top end.
Registered the boat.
Amazingly busy during the day with just about anything that floats or swims moored or going past.
Come evening the place was deserted with only half a dozen boats on the entire length of the moorings.
Man wandered along with his camera shortly before we left mid afternoon, moorings by now almost empty ,only a single widebeam visable in front of us.
Straight into manned Molesly lock with a NB, filled up with water on exit.
Up to Lady Lynsises, absolutely packed and had to moor in the naughty bit until a day visitor cleared off and we prompty nipped round in to his empty space.
Procession of boats passing by all evening looking to moor, mainly WB and NBs.
Up to Runnymede , two or three boats loads of space.
Windsor moorings busy , Eaton mooring empty. Poor use of space on islands by several boats. The Brocas virtually empty so moored there.
Young lady collected £8.00 via a card machine.
Filled up with water by the slipway.
Back down and into Shepperton in an failed attempt to remedy some electrical problems.
Very helpful staff and IMHO good value as well.
Did spot a lot of the small hire dayboats, several Le Boats out and about, plus what appeared to be a number of gentlemen in full regalia on a EA patrol boat.
They did ask after my well being in one of the locks.
A noticable increase ? in the the sheer number of boats lining the entire lower bit of the river being used for accomodation and/or appearing semi abandoned.

Last edited:

harvey38

Visit site
Six of one ....Half a dozen....
Hampton Court was jammed on our arrival in the river on a hot Sunday, managed to squeeze in at the top end.
Registered the boat.
Amazingly busy during the day with just about anything that floats or swims moored or going past.
Come evening the place was deserted with only half a dozen boats on the entire length of the moorings.
Man wandered along with his camera shortly before we left mid afternoon, moorings by now almost empty ,only a single widebeam visable in front of us.
Straight into manned Molesly lock with a NB, filled up with water on exit.
Up to Lady Lynsises, absolutely packed and had to moor in the naughty bit until a day visitor cleared off and we prompty nipped round in to his empty space.
Procession of boats passing by all evening looking to moor, mainly WB and NBs.
Up to Runnymede , two or three boats loads of space.
Windsor moorings busy , Eaton mooring empty. Poor use of space on islands by several boats. The Brocas virtually empty so moored there.
Young lady collected £8.00 via a card machine.
Filled up with water by the slipway.
Back down and into Shepperton in an failed attempt to remedy some electrical problems.
Very helpful staff and IMHO good value as well.
Did spot a lot of the small hire dayboats, several Le Boats out and about, plus what appeared to be a number of gentlemen in full regalia on a EA patrol boat.
They did ask after my well being in one of the locks.
A noticable increase ? in the the sheer number of boats lining the entire lower bit of the river being used for accomodation and/or appearing semi abandoned.
The Brocas, love it. Is The Waterman still going in Eaton?

Many years since we were based on the Thames at Bray, so many great memories.

oldgit

Visit site
Not just the non tidal ?
A Sunny August Sunday.
Out on the Medway yesterday.
Beautiful sunny day not a breath of wind...........river virtually deserted over its entire length , a few sailing boats out and a few stink pots.
The usually honeypot location of Stangate noticably lacked many moored craft.

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
Not just the non tidal ?
A Sunny August Sunday.
Out on the Medway yesterday.
Beautiful sunny day not a breath of wind...........river virtually deserted over its entire length , a few sailing boats out and a few stink pots.
The usually honeypot location of Stangate noticably lacked many moored craft.
We hid in Sharfleet, saw you going past......

CJL

Visit site
Is it quiet or is it just a change in in how people use it?
Smaller trailer boats seem more prolific and hire use seems to be up.
At the weekend there were lots of boats out at Wallingford and swimmers/paddleboarders everywhere. I think the old popular spots are just not as popular and new users are enjoying different parts of the river in different ways.

Time Out

Visit site
Is it quiet or is it just a change in in how people use it?
Smaller trailer boats seem more prolific and hire use seems to be up.
At the weekend there were lots of boats out at Wallingford and swimmers/paddleboarders everywhere. I think the old popular spots are just not as popular and new users are enjoying different parts of the river in different ways.

100% agree. The thought of dragging my kids to a yacht club or same mooring spot every weekend fills me with horror.

Frequent short trips On a boat that needs little or no maintenance and does not cost a fortune works very well for us as a family.

If we don’t use it it doesn’t matter. The guilt is not there !

Parabordi

Visit site
100% agree. The thought of dragging my kids to a yacht club or same mooring spot every weekend fills me with horror.

Frequent short trips On a boat that needs little or no maintenance and does not cost a fortune works very well for us as a family.

If we don’t use it it doesn’t matter. The guilt is not there !
And yet that would bore me to tears, the best bit for me is the longer trips where you can explore new places. I also love the pottering in the winter. I daresay i am in a minority though!

The Q

Visit site
It appears to be a quiet time on the Norfolk Broads as well this year. Many of the hire boats are still in their yards, especially the bigger ones that can cost £3000 a week to hire...

Time Out

Visit site
And yet that would bore me to tears, the best bit for me is the longer trips where you can explore new places. I also love the pottering in the winter. I daresay i am in a minority though!

I dare say I may go back to that but having been subjected to most of the above as a kid I just don’t want to do it now.

My kids would never go for it. Hence typing this from the SOF !

Now a boys trip may be different!!