Sailing north along east cost

slawosz

Visit site
Hi,
I am looking for ideas for adventures. I am based on Blackwater. One idea I have is just to sail north (and back) along the coast. Say I would relocate my boat to Lowesoft and its around 300 NM (one way to Isle of May). It would be 2 people, non stop 1 week of sailing - with lot of backup options along the way.
I wonder how 'hard' is this route in regards of potential problems like pots, traffic (also one without AIS etc). Or other ideas for one week of sailing?

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Done it twice going north and once southwards. As Habebty posts, the weather is the main factor because in strong easterly winds harbours of refuge safe to enter are a long way apart. You may well be holed up. Unless you divert to Wells the leg from Lowestoft to the Humber is a long slog should the wind veer from a south westerly to a northwesterly. My advice would be to take a few weeks, leaving the boat, if necessary, at Grimsby or Hartlepool/Royal Quays, but take the time choosing your weather to explore Bridlington, Scarborough, Whitby, Farne Islands, Eyemouth or use the anchorages in between. Great sailing and coast, but not in a rush.

Black Sheep

Visit site
I think you need to decide whether you want to do one week non-stop sailing, or whether you want to sail along the coast with lots of backup options.

If you stick to the coast you have all the problems of coastal traffic, tidal gates, and not a lot of refuges. But you can divide the journey into day sails (some of them quite long because of the distances between harbours).

If what you want is non-stop sailing, you're better off standing well out to sea. Lowestoft is a great place to start - you point towards Scotland and the land falls away from you. Your first 24 hours is getting through the gas fields and the Humber traffic. After that, you'll be 40 miles offshore, and it's fairly empty (or was 10 years ago when I last did it) - the odd trawler & the odd oil rig.

Lowestoft to Peterhead is a great run; about 330 miles. Me? I'd go the extra to Orkney or Shetland (close to 500 miles). But it all depends on your boat, your confidence, and the weather. One great thing about non-stop is that it eats the miles. I tend to plan at 3 knots when single handed, which gives around 75 miles a day, around 500 miles over a week. And they're all "good" miles, towards the destination rather than in & out of harbours & up estuaries. But it's not to everybody's taste!

I have no idea of your skills and experience. But if you're still feeling your way, one option is to spend a week daysailing harbour to harbour as far as you can. Then when you get as far as you can in the time, turn round & sail back non-stop. By then you'll be in tune with the boat & should be sailing well. Next time, you can do the outward leg non-stop and double the distance.

It all rather depends what you want to get out of the trip!

jimi

Visit site
When I came the other way we only saw one other vessel between Aberdeen and the Farne Islands, and that was a survey vessel.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
When I came the other way we only saw one other vessel between Aberdeen and the Farne Islands, and that was a survey vessel.
We too saw few vessels from Inverness to Eyemouth, or even as far south as Whitby. However, the density of vessels increased rapidly once south of about Flamborough Head (we were far offshore), and was probably worst just south of the Humber. Mostly well-behaved and easy to avoid, but there was one support vessel that was very difficult to anticipate and avoid.

TLouth7

Visit site
We encountered pots along every stretch of coast between Flamborough Head and North Berwick, I wouldn't dream of sailing within a couple of miles of the coast at night for that reason.

If you are willing to sit offshore a bit then it's a singularly easy piece of water, no tidal races or submerged rocks (unless you go close to the Farne Islands which I would thoroughly recommend you do). The windfarm that is being built is a bit intimidating with its unlit stumps, and you can meet groups of typically stationary workboats.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Hi,
I am looking for ideas for adventures. I am based on Blackwater. One idea I have is just to sail north (and back) along the coast. Say I would relocate my boat to Lowesoft and its around 300 NM (one way to Isle of May). It would be 2 people, non stop 1 week of sailing - with lot of backup options along the way.
I wonder how 'hard' is this route in regards of potential problems like pots, traffic (also one without AIS etc). Or other ideas for one week of sailing?
Being members of Stone sailing club on the Blackwater we have several short group cruises & one 2 week cruise ( usually cross channel) Due to covid this year in August we had to cruise the east coast. We got to Shotley, Lowestoft & intended to go Grimsby, Hull Scarborough & back. It is surprising how, even in August the weather failed to play ball. To do extended cruising up the east coast over a week requires a lot of luck with the weather. I have done Inverness /Blackwater a couple of times SH & it has tended to be a dash between weather windows
We ended up turning south to Brightlingsea, Chatham then Ramsgate. None of us wanted a really hard thrash. Just a relaxed holiday sail so we also did some cycling etc. Possibly not what you had in mind of course.
If the covid situation changes one would be better crossing to Boulogne or Ostend then turning east or west with shorter destinations & more interesting ports to visit. This is what we do for the earlier season 1 week cruises. But of course due to covid almost certainly would be much later in 2021 if at all. Alternatively stay along the south coast Ukto give lots of options. It really depends if you intend to come home in the week or leave the boat somewhere & continue later on.
Our first Boulogne 5 day cruise ( as an example) was Blackwater/dover/Boulogne for a couple of days/Ramsgate/Blackwater giving a couple of days spare for bad weather/late startor finish. Then next time, having had experience we added Boulogne/Dieppe/Dover into the mix followed the next year by adding Le Havre & the D day celebrations.
as soon as Covid vaccines have been dolled out these trips may well be on the cards , as well may be the Dutch canals which we had to cancel
I know that you specifically asked about heading north, but these may give you food for thought. in my opinion ( & it is only my opinion )Sailing is not always about covering long distances, it is nice to have a purpose & interest along the way.
If one has not done the east coast then like me you will always want to have a go. i did - twice- but it was only a means to get home from a round UK trip. Not the greatest cruising area. But some do enjoy it more than others of course

Last edited:

slawosz

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. This gives me an idea of such a venture, and I see I was over-optimistic. I will wait a few years and will look to gain more experience first.

GraemeMcDonald

Visit site
I have bought a well-found yacht in NE England (Tyneside) which I shall need to take down to the Solent in the spring. I have sailed just about everywhere up the West from La Coruna to Skye over the last 40 years but have never been east of Brighton and know nothing about the North Sea and East Coast. Looking at it, I am tempted to just accept a long, offshore passage - timed with the weather in mind - rather than coast-hopping and worrying about some challenging harbour entries along the way. I will have a good crew of two plus me. Of course, I will be prepared to seek refuge if necessary. My question to those who know is roughly what sort of offing and routing to go for, especially the Southern stretch (Norfolk - Dover) plus any other useful passage planning advice. Thank you.

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi Graeme,

If your up for longer passages, I would leavr the Tyne and head for Harwich as first stop, You do needto pay attention to shipping as you approach,but the entrance is dead easy, with plenty of choices ogf harbour as you head up the Orwell estuary towards Ipswich, the first (Shotley) and the last 2 (Neptune and Ipswich Haven require locking in, but those in the middle (Suffolk Yacht Harbour, Wolverstone and Fox's) are all tide entry. This first leg of the passage lacks ports of refuge in NE or E winds. There's the Humber if you're really pushed then possibly Yarmouth, but that is very unfriendly to yachts and it's little further to Lowestoft which I would class as a port of refuge, although the entrance is "interesting" in an easterly gale.

Sensible stops between Harwich and the Solent are Ramsgate, Eastbourne (lock)and Brighton. Possibly Dover, but I always prefer to stand well off as I pass to dodge the ferries and there is talk of a big scend in the recently built marina which is allowing the older docks to be built over. I've not been in there personally since these changes. Work your tide gate right for Harwich - Solent and it's a 24 hour job.

Routing Tyne - Harwich is a matter of dodging the wind farms and keeping out of the wash, For Harwich - N Foreland, there's an outdoor route round Long Sand head then straight to N Foreland or a choice of indoor routes, favoured by us E Coast yachties. For guidance on this you need to read Roger Gaspar's book "Crossing the Thames Estuary" and visit his website:

Home (crossingthethamesestuary.com)

To me, it would seem a shame to sail through these waters without trying a few swatchways and I consider Long Sand head a riskier place than any of the swatchways. Don't try either of those routes with out of date charts or old mapping in a plotter.

From N. Foreland, routing is fairly obvious, just make sure you pass at least a mile offshore as you pass Dover, if you don't plan to enter and watch out for the Lydd range just past Dungeness.

Peter.

Peter.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Hi,
This is what we did for a 14 day holiday as a group in covid times The report also includes our other short hops if you are interested. It was OK as we all made sure we had been in isolation before going. There are reports of our earlier trips Xchannel on the site under "historic" cruising
cruise 2020

Our website also has a few places to visit for boats based on the Blackwater.
We do have cheap deep water moorings available as well & details are there if you care to look
www.stonemoorings.com

Slowboat35

Visit site
Don't be put off Gt Yarmouth as a port of refuge, its entrance is much more comfortable than Lowestoft's in a bad Easterly and though not 'yacht friendly' in that it has no specific yacht facilities it equally isn't yacht unfriendly. Plus the shelter is far , far better than Lowestoft's which (in the RNSYC's dock - I won't call it a marina) can get very boisterous in those easterlies that are likely to cause you to use it. If singlehanded however you'll be needing to enter on the slack or come alongside another vessel as climbing that harbour wall with the fast current to get lines secured is a real challenge on your own.

Other threads that may be of interest