Round Britain day 20

Concerto

Visit site
Would you believe it, I never unfurled my genoa today.

Slightly lazy start today as I had to pay the harbourmaster - only £22. Then I walked into Stonehaven along the Broadwalk and was surprised to find some lovely stainless steel sculptures.
IMG_4220 1000pix.jpg
I also discovered what Stonehaven was famous for, see the photo later. The local butchers had a wide selection of pies and I tried the the Scotch steak pie, thoroughly recommended.

After returning to Concerto and stowing a few supplies, I prepared to leave. Slipped out at 10.15 and started to motor into deeper water, the log picked up some weed and stopped working. Had to lift a sole board and reverse the paddlewheel to clear it, and then return it the correct way round. Once in some clean air, I raised the main. The wind was forecast as S to SW 2 to 4. It was definitely a 4 and SSW. It was almost a dead run just on port tack. Just under main I was already doing 5½ knots. Decision made, rig for spinnaker. Up it went and then it decided to do a wrap around the forestay. Grr. A couple of minutes later it was out and setting well and the speed went up to just over 6½ knots.
IMG_4236 1000pix.jpg
To answer an earlier question, I use single sheets and just end to end the pole. Keep things as simple as possible is my mantra.

Everything was going fine but the wind did not play ball, it decided to back a little. Changing course slightly closer to the shore corrected the problem, but it kept backing. Then the main gybed and thought I would now gybe the spinnaker. As I was in a rush I failed to ease the sheets, and the pole downhaul, going back to correct this resulted in another wrap, even worse than before. Grrrr, grrrr. Ended having to gybe the main back to assist clearing the wrap and then gybing correctly.

Then the unexpected happened the downhaul span on the pole came undone. A quick fix was made using a line with a bowline over the guy (see photo) and led forward to the fairlead and back to the midship cleat for easy control.
IMG_4241 1000pix.jpg
It was still almost a dead run, but the wind started increasing and so the log started reading higher, 6 ¾ to 7 knots, but in some gusts as high as 7.6 knots. In the stronger winds I hand steered for great speed than the autopilot as I could sense the small rollers coming from the SE on the starboard quarter. Great fun. Slowly the wind eased and backed a little more to SE. This enabled me to edge back towards the shore and the course I should be sailing. It was still cold on the water and I was still wearing full oil skins.

Although I was sailing fast, the tide was against me - I should have left a lot earlier. As I passed Aberdeen there was about 2 knots of tide I was punching, but I was not worried as I was sailing. After just over 4 hours under spinnaker, the wind eased to the force 2 forecast. There was nothing else to do but drop the spinnaker and turn on the engine. It was less than 10 miles to go, but the sea had turned glassy on the waves. The sun started working its magic and it warmed up, even though it was half five. It was also the first time on this trip I could get rid of the oil skins. So liberating.

After speaking to the marina by phone I rigged for starboard to berthing on E pontoon. After calling port control, they advised a vessel was due to leave and if I could speed up to enter before the vessel departs. After hitting the throttle to full revs, the speed increased to 6½ knots, from my usual 5 knots, in the sloppy sea. Once in the harbour I called the marina, but got no reply, they were going to show me which berth, so I just selected one. After tying up at 17.15, the chap from the marina arrived and said the berth was fine. Just come and see him in the office before he finished at 7. Have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by how much I had to pay - just £18 and that includes electricity.

IMG_4225 1000pix.jpg
So, now you know what Stonehaven is famous for.

RB Map 11a.jpg
The actual distance is only 33 miles, but I expect I sailed closer to 50 miles. This took me 7 hours.

Neeves

Visit site
Not impressed with the deep fried Mars bar - but then I've never had one. Now deep fried haggis = that is something to shout about.

Apart from the wraps (been there done that - single handed - maybe easier to unravel on a cat) sounds a good spinnaker run. I am sufficiently impressed with your passages so far - spinnaker work is just icing on the cake - well done.

Jonathan

Blueboatman

Visit site
Great, nifty boat under spinnaker isn’t she?

As you say, if its going well, a bit of stiff foul tide is a not a show stopper for a nippy boat.
Looks great pics
Quite a lot of shipping coming round the top ?
We tried frying slices of Mars bar once. But not battered.
I would say it’s an acquired taste ??

Yealm

Visit site
Fantastic account - enjoy getting my daily fix!
May I ask - if poss - please could you provide a photo of each harbour you stay at?

Concerto

Visit site
Did you get the wraps because the head sail was furled? This technique seems to suggest it is a good idea to leave out but sheeted hard in.

https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/ins.../uploads/sites/20/filebank/spinnaker_tips.pdf

Asking for someone who has not dared take theirs out of the for'cle locker!
A genoa unfurled just gets in the way. The wrap was caused by the strong wind and quatering rollers causing the boat to roll and move the spinnaker. Being on an almost dead run also means the mainsail creates a big wind shadow that assists in helping create a wrap. If the wind had been at least 30 degress off the transom, the wrap would not have happened. If you notice the pole was not square to the wind as I was slightly oversheeting the spinnaker to make it more stable. I should explain I used to be the spinnaker trimmer on a number of race boats, so know spinnakers very well.

Give your spinnaker a try. Pick a day with light winds, smooth water and plenty of room. Set everything up and have the wind at about 40 to 50 degrees off the transom when you hoist. Have the pole at about 45 degress to the bow and roughly level to the mast eye, plus ensure the downhaul is tight. Now trim the pole to be roughly square to the wind and the sheet so the luff occassionally curls and flips back. Try adjusting the pole height to get the clews level. Now sit back and relax.

To gybe,set on a 10 degree off dead run. Ease the pole to about 45 degrees and have the sheet fairly loose. Detatch the pole from the mast and clip onto the sheet. Drop the guy (now the sheet) out of the pole and fit to mast ring. Now alter course at least 20 degress to change gybe and gybe the mainsail. Trim the spinnaker, now relax.

To drop the spinnaker I advise using a snatch block on the sheet clipped to the deck at the aft end of the coachroof. This tightens the leech of the spinnaker behind the mainsail. Now trip the guy and the spinnaker will be behind the mainsail or very close. Gather the foot and then lower the halyard as it drops. I find one turn around the winch is sufficient friction to stop it just dropping. I just drop it into the cockpit well, but you can drop it down the main hatch. I never get my spinnaker wet using this method. Now unfurl the genoa and tidy up the pole, sheets and halyard.

It is a great satisfaction when you have set a spinnaker for the first time. Over time you should try taking it to almost on the beam and in stronger winds. Spinnakers look daunting but I find generally are well mannered sails provided you know what you are doing.

Concerto

Visit site
Great, nifty boat under spinnaker isn’t she?

As you say, if its going well, a bit of stiff foul tide is a not a show stopper for a nippy boat.
Looks great pics
Quite a lot of shipping coming round the top ?
We tried frying slices of Mars bar once. But not battered.
I would say it’s an acquired taste ??
Not seen much shipping yet, just the off wind farm boat or oil rig supply vessel.

Neither have I tried the deep fried Mars bar, not sure I want to.

Concerto

Visit site
You didnt mention the pot floats , or were you lucky ? ,, how long are you in PD for ?
Since leaving Stonehaven there were very few fishing markers.

Staying in Peterhead today, and tomorrow leaving for Lossiemouth and then Wick. Should be in the Orkneys by the weekend.

Last edited:

Concerto

Visit site
Fantastic account - enjoy getting my daily fix!
May I ask - if poss - please could you provide a photo of each harbour you stay at?
Sorry I cannot do a daily fix every day, but I do try to answer all comments and questions quickly.

It is not always possible to have a photo of evey harbour at the time I create the new post. This is one of Peterhead. I try not to make it just about Concerto, but a general view that contains her somewhere.

IMG_4257 1000pix.jpg

I had planned to take a photo from the shore, but this morning a 13m Dutch yacht arrived and berthed the other side of the pontoon blocking the view of Concerto and late last night I had a German Nicholson 303 beside me, so I was lucky to take this shot. Will try the drone later and see if I can get a good aerial shot of the marina.

cherod

Visit site
Its
Since leaving Stonehaven there were very few fishing markers.

Staying in Peterborough today, and tomorrow leaving for Lossiemouth and then Wick. Should be in the Orkneys by the weekend.
That stretch of water is usually littered with the bloody things as is the north coast along to Lossie , be ware ?,,, btw , its called “ Peterhead “? ( pronounced Peterheed ) , enjoy ?

Blueboatman

Visit site
Sorry I cannot do a daily fix every day, but I do try to answer all comments and questions quickly.

It is not always possible to have a photo of evey harbour at the time I create the new post. This is one of Peterhead. I try not to make it just about Concerto, but a general view that contains her somewhere.

View attachment 136910

I had planned to take a photo from the shore, but this morning a 13m Dutch yacht arrived and berthed the other side of the pontoon blocking the view of Concerto and late last night I had a German Nicholson 303 beside me, so I was lucky to take this shot. Will try the drone later and see if I can get a good aerial shot of the marina.
The boat is looking really good there .

On passage I used the asymmetric a lot but with a snuffer and 2 snap hooks along the deck centre line, a metre apart (to keep thesock line from wrapping or twisting )
And a handy purchase along the side deck that clipped on the toe rail and the assy tackline.
And the halyard I set up running through a jammer on the mast and then back to a cockpit halyard winch /cleat. Then I could eg hoist at the mast or drop at the cockpit .
With that lot of details sorted, deploying and retrieving was a doddle and I used it whenever I could
But spinnakers were a different thing , blurry big pole, one scratch in nice new fore hatch for a start?
So, respect to you ?

geem

Visit site
We also fly our asymmetric spinnaker from a pole. It's a monster 165m2. We also use single lines to the spinnaker as we don't gybe it. Its too much trouble for just me and the wife.
Have you tried rigging the pole first? You use an uphaul and a pair of downhauls. One to the bow and the other towards the stern. This three point fixing of the pole ensures it doesn't move and can be left up without banging around whilst you raise and drop the spinnaker. We found it vastly improves our handling of the spinnaker.
Thanks for sharing your trip. Very enjoyable to follow

capnsensible

Visit site
We also fly our asymmetric spinnaker from a pole. It's a monster 165m2. We also use single lines to the spinnaker as we don't gybe it. Its too much trouble for just me and the wife.
Have you tried rigging the pole first? You use an uphaul and a pair of downhauls. One to the bow and the other towards the stern. This three point fixing of the pole ensures it doesn't move and can be left up without banging around whilst you raise and drop the spinnaker. We found it vastly improves our handling of the spinnaker.
Thanks for sharing your trip. Very enjoyable to follow
Works great for poling out headsail too. Especially with an extra sheet led aft rather than through the genoa car.

srm

Visit site
On my first visit to Peterhead, moored among the fishing boats, our harbour dues for the week amounted to less than £1 as it was calculated on registered tonnage. Marina is a great improvement over the fishing harbour.
The last trip was a few years back in October, having crossed from Eggersund. We arrived late evening to a deserted marina but found a flyer from a Chinese restaurant that delivered. Ordered a set meal for two and about half an hour later collected two big boxes of food at the marina gate. Enough for two meals each and still some left over.

onesea

Visit site
Deep fried haggis, mars bars & pizza all good with me… If you don’t try it you don’t know what your missing….

you know what they say when inRome…

Halo

Visit site
Great progress and reports. Glad you got the spinaker up and the oilies off ! White hills is my favourite in the Moray firth. It makes the entrance to Eyemouth seem wide in comparison

Concerto

Visit site
Great progress and reports. Glad you got the spinaker up and the oilies off ! White hills is my favourite in the Moray firth. It makes the entrance to Eyemouth seem wide in comparison
It was grest fun entering and doing the hard left and then immediately doing a 180 to get into the berth that was only about 2m longer than Concerto.