RJ Perkins & Son Whitsable

Wells Boi

Visit site
Can any one varify weather or not this yard was the same as Anderson Rigden & Perkins yard. As boat builders of Romulus & Remus Faustulus and others

ianc1200

Visit site
No it wasn't!

The boatyard I've just left (Freebodys at Hurley after 38 years) has a RJ Perkins motorboat, Dandy C, the owner Tim got hold of the Alan Staley history of ARP, but it only mentioned RJ Perkins in passing.

Wells Boi

Visit site
Can any one varify weather or not this yard was the same as Anderson Rigden & Perkins yard. As boat builders of Romulus & Remus Faustulus and others
Were these sailing boats or fishing boat as both Romulus and Remus were at Selsey through the seventies and eighties ?
Romulus F6 & Remus F7 were Fishing boats owned By the Leggatt family and fished mainly from Wells as the Family lived at wells on there house boat for over 5y Faustulus F21 Cortina and others also came to wells

Wells Boi

Visit site
No it wasn't!

The boatyard I've just left (Freebodys at Hurley after 38 years) has a RJ Perkins motorboat, Dandy C, the owner Tim got hold of the Alan Staley history of ARP, but it only mentioned RJ Perkins in passing.
Where abouts was rj perkins yard ?

MOBY2

Visit site
I crewed on Romulus for 2 years out of Selsey in the early eighties, very well built and good sea boat, had a lister 4 cylinder in her before we changed it for a Gardner 4LW, I left during the refit but believe she was a nice job afterwards, last I saw of her she was in a sorry state down Southampton way, the Remus has been up for sale in the last couple of years on find a fishing boat ...

MOBY2

Visit site
That's a shame but sadly the fate of many old wooden mfv saw selsey pearl built at greenslades picked clean of bits and up for a quid on some site, always sad when you've seen them in their prime

Wells Boi

Visit site
I have now herd that Faustulue was also de-commission in 96 and cut up on Whistable Quay the same as Romulus in 96. So Seam Remus is the only one still just around

Jan Harber

Visit site
I'm afraid I don't have any info on mfvs but I do know that Anderson, Rigden and Perkins were in Whitstable in the mid-1960s because they built a Merlin Rocket for us. She was a Superstition design and replaced our much older Holt-designed Martine. We raced both these dinghies at Ranelagh SC on the Thames at Putney. In those days there was an active fleet of Merlin Rockets at Whitstable.

ianc1200

Visit site
My interest in ARP was they built Anderson 22's - I had one for a few years. Alan Staley wrote a history of them, was out of print when I last looked but a friend did a copy, it was large (A3 format) and very detailed. The Anderson 22's were hardly mentioned as the yard had a proud history of building yachts as well as naval contracts etc. I seem to remember it was the loss of a MOD contract which caused the yard to close.

Wells Boi

Visit site
Is there anywhere i can get definitve build info as i have them built by R.J.Perkins
Yet Brian Trryel who worked for the Leggatts say Anderson Ridgeon & Perkins

ianc1200

Visit site
Just checked 1950/1960/1965/1970 Lloyds Registers. Those names are not mentioned - but if MFV's wouldn't expect them to be. RJ Perkins seems to have had about a quarter of the output of ARP, RJ Perkins address given as 2 Island Wall Whitstable, ARP as The Shipyard Island Wall. Two separate firms as far Lloyds Registers goes.

Are there not registers of fishing boats? And there's certainly one very active FB group dedicated to converted fishing boats. Re fishing registers, it can be hit and miss, I think the online historic Harwich one is quite good, whereas the Leigh on Sea one is wrong/has missing bits.

Maxc35

Visit site
Is there anywhere i can get definitve build info as i have them built by R.J.Perkins
Yet Brian Trryel who worked for the Leggatts say Anderson Ridgeon & Perkins
In reply to your to your query Romuls& Remus were built by R.J Perkins I know this because I was an apprentice involved in their building

Keith 66

Visit site
Dad told me she was built by ARP, I checked the Association boat list, interestingly they dont currently list her builder but two other similar age 18's are listed as ARP built. Wouldnt surprise me if there was some confusion. Would need to see a builders plate to be sure this remote in time.

Wells Boi

Visit site
In reply to your to your query Romuls& Remus were built by R.J Perkins I know this because I was an apprentice involved in their building
I know who build them and where .What i want is to varify the diamentions which i beleave is 39` long ect and what the stern mesurments are as its not a flat transom. Id like the build plans if any exist

Maxc35

Visit site
In reply to your request 39ft was the loan at the time the Gov paid an amount toward cost for boats of 39ft or under .As to the transom at time we where building a customs boat one of the Leggets saw the stern liked the look of it and asked for one[ for the new boats As to plans I never saw them all I saw was table of offsets when in the mold loft.

Maxc35

Visit site
Re. Ròmuls & Remus I belive that the design was a joint effort by Jack Sinclaìr Donald Dale &the Leggett bros. The Leggetts providing the midshipman section as they wanted it to be the same as their boat Cortina The boats were intended for pair trawling with a larson mid water trawl to catch sprats .The trawl winch was made from the rear axle of a vehicle plus a gearbox driven by a flat belt from the main engine. All the metalwork steering quadrant,fuel tanks,roller fairleads,stem head roller,and all other metal parts were made by the yard blacksmith.