red and green 2 stroke oil

chrisD

Visit site
Anyone know why 2 stroke oil for garden equipment is red and 2 stroke oil for outboards is green?
Are they interchangeable? As I need 50:1 for both it would be convenient to just use one can.

jerram

Visit site
Use the oil recommended,The outboards run cool and garden machines run hot the oil is made to suit the requirement of the engine.

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Not sure but if you're going to use them, make sure you keep the red on the left, and the green on the right - colregs innit?.....

.....i'll get my coat! :rolleyes:

(Incidentally the marine 2-stroke I use is blue! :confused:)

wotayottie

Visit site
Anyone know why 2 stroke oil for garden equipment is red and 2 stroke oil for outboards is green?
Are they interchangeable? As I need 50:1 for both it would be convenient to just use one can.

My two stroke oil is brown and I've used it for everything from a 2 stroke bike to strimmers to outboards. The difference between red 2 stroke oil and green two stroke oil is the colour of the dye though I do believe there are eco friendly* outboard oils if you are bothered about such things. I'm not.

* o/b oil to some extent goes into the water through the exhaust, hence the eco concern. Given what big ships dump even without accidents .....

Lakesailor

Visit site
I don't think the colour has any hidden significance. It's just so you realise you have dosed the petrol.
I've had both red and green as marine 2T oil.

VicS

Visit site
The colour is what ever the oil suppliers choose AFAIK
I've had blue, purple and green outboard oil over the years

Oil for garden machinery and other air cooled two strokes is, I think you will find, a little heavier than that for outboards. Ceratinly the case with some I tested in the lab many years ago.

Last edited:

Corribee Boy

Visit site
If you keep your 2-stroke in a red container, use a blue or green 2-stroke oil. When you look in to check you've mixed it or if it's still neat, the red is invisible.:)

Other threads that may be of interest