Raymarine St1000 Problem

nrcoyle

Visit site
Hi All,

My first post so please be gentle, I am having a problem with my Raymarine Autopilot that I inherited with the boat. It powers up and gives a compass heading which appears to be correct and changes when the orientation of the unit is changed. However, whenever any of the buttons are pressed there is no movement of the ram and the unit beeps and flashes 1000 on the display.

I have had the unit apat and the gearing all appears to be in order and can be easily extended by hand turning the gears. I therefore suspect that there is an issue on the PCB. Whilst not an electronics expert myself I do have access to some at work but was wondering if anyone had a circuit diagram for this unit or any common problems and fixes that I could give to the electronic guys when they have a look at it for me,

Cheers,
Neil

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Hi All,

My first post so please be gentle, I am having a problem with my Raymarine Autopilot that I inherited with the boat. It powers up and gives a compass heading which appears to be correct and changes when the orientation of the unit is changed. However, whenever any of the buttons are pressed there is no movement of the ram and the unit beeps and flashes 1000 on the display.

I have had the unit apat and the gearing all appears to be in order and can be easily extended by hand turning the gears. I therefore suspect that there is an issue on the PCB. Whilst not an electronics expert myself I do have access to some at work but was wondering if anyone had a circuit diagram for this unit or any common problems and fixes that I could give to the electronic guys when they have a look at it for me,

Cheers,
Neil

Could be an insufficiently chunky power cable to the pilot or a bad connection that is high resistance. When just the electronics is running taking milliamps, it's fine, but as soon as you try to do something that powers the motor, it takes amps, the voltage drops, and it resets. Try wiring up an alternative power and ground directly to the battery to see if that eliminates the problem. If it does, then it's time to remake all the connections, clean the plug/socket, maybe change any switch on the switch panel, until the problem is eliminated. I would hazard a guess to say that this is likely to be your problem. It's been reported here before.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Second Angu's diagnosis - a beep and "1000" is the bootup sequence so it's obviously resetting, and excessive voltage drop sounds like the most likely reason.

Pete

TSB240

Visit site
Had exactly your problem with mine. Found one of the pins in the connecting socket had pushed out so making contact enough to power display. As soon as you asked it to power the motor it cut out as yours. As a precaution follow all the good advice given above Check the connector and check for loose connections and or undersized cables to the connector.Check for any corrosion on any of the connections back to the battery.
Steve

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Hi All,

Cheers,
Neil

You really need to know what you are doing when you are "pushing buttons"!

If you have a copy of the manual you need to read it. You can do damage if the ram runs away. If you do not have the manual, you can download it.

If you suspect the ram, apply volts to it. There are two connections;- thin wires for the clutch and thick for the motor. The clutch wires should be connected correctly polarity-wise. The motor wires can be reversed to produce out and in movement.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
If you suspect the ram, apply volts to it. There are two connections;- thin wires for the clutch and thick for the motor. The clutch wires should be connected correctly polarity-wise. The motor wires can be reversed to produce out and in movement.

Where's the clutch in a ST1000? Just a directly connected motor/gearbox as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Maybe I have the wrong identification but mine is as I have described.

Without a clutch, you would be back-driving the ballscrew under manual operation. There is a "clunk" once you switch to auto.

The OP has a tillerpilot. I don't have a ST1000 like the OP, I have a ST2000, but they are similar. No clunk, just lift the pilot off its pin for manual operation.

nrcoyle

Visit site
Thanks for all the replys.

My unit is indeed a tillerpilot and I suspect that Angus's diagnosis could well be correct, I have taken the unit from the boat and will get it connected up to a 12v bench supply to confirm if it works with a proven power source. If so then I guess I will know where to look on the boat to resolve the issue.

I will update again after i have had a chance to test it further.