quick one on Turbo removal

jon and michie

Visit site
The heat marks are normal, the paint burns off then they rust, the water nipple MUST be clear this is so the water jacket on the turbo self bleeds otherwise air will be trapped in the turbo so no cooling, its probably the holes in the banjo bolt that are blocked. The exhaust paste isn’t unusual, I have often used it myself seeing as Volvo don’t have a gasket there. On reassembly almost tighten clamp ring and then wriggle the exhaust bend about a bit to get it seated and centralised before tightening up. Fit the manifold gasket as per instructions. From the photo the tip clearance on the blades looks excessive which will lose you boost.

The rebuilders did get back to me and these were there findings: The coolant nipple was partially blocked but not completely.
The exhaust housing is badly corroded and has been picking up on the turbine wheel - Thus stopping it from spinning freely.

Jon

andy59

Visit site
A couple of coats of TK line volvo green will be fine , the exhaust ( hot ) part has a water jacket and the paint wont get burnt of, . . . well it didn't on a pair of KAMD 44s when i had the turbo's refurbed.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Right as an update - My Turbo has arrived back home, unfortunately working away at the moment so I am planning for when I get home to go to my boat a few days later but as you can see in the photo I need to paint it.
I am thinking of using heat resistant paint as it get hot I wouldnt want the paint to crack or burn.
can anyone point me in the right direction on what is a match with the infamous volvo green ?

I am looking forward to fitting it especially now it has the stainless steel sleeve welded so no further corrosion.

Jon
Oh dear another bodge job , looks like a welded in boss into the old housing .
sadly for an owner this week I had to remove 2 turbos that had been repaired this way ,after they failed to give the correct boost after testing , I told you I can get new genuine BW housings , the dealer I took them To be repaired pissed themselves at the previous repairs carried out by a south coast company .

jon and michie

Visit site
Oh dear another bodge job , looks like a welded in boss into the old housing .
sadly for an owner this week I had to remove 2 turbos that had been repaired this way ,after they failed to give the correct boost after testing , I told you I can get new genuine BW housings , the dealer I took them To be repaired pissed themselves at the previous repairs carried out by a south coast company .
Hi Paul - in what way did the turbos you mention failed to give the correct boost - had the welds cracked?
What was the south coast company?
How long did the turbo's last before failure - I have a 12 month warranty on mine.
Jon

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi Paul - in what way did the turbos you mention failed to give the correct boost - had the welds cracked?
What was the south coast company?
How long did the turbo's last before failure - I have a 12 month warranty on mine.
Jon
Basically the report I had was that the diameter of the sleeve was incorrect , they turned down the turbine wheel diameter to make the edges good then bored the sleeve to give the correct clearance , I’m not sure which dealer he used as the client had taken them for Repair himself .

jon and michie

Visit site
Thanks for your Paul much appreciated.
So not getting the correct boost would that be as in not enough so not performing at best - would this damage the engine?

Jon

jon and michie

Visit site
As further to Volvo Paul's report on his client's turbo - I contacted the company that has done my turbo and the reply was they have not turned the exhaust wheel down as that wouldn't work as it should.
Jon

jon and michie

Visit site
Hi - II have got some TK Marine Volvo green paint ready to coat the Turbo when I get home.
I am looking for a grey primer to put on first.
So my question is what Temperature does the turbo normally run at ?

Jon

jon and michie

Visit site
Right as a year has nearly gone by Id thought I would share my findings so far.
The boat was taken out of the water in January and there was a build up of slime / weed (we generally never go out in the winter periods
Then she was relaunched in April with fresh anti foul and a volvo 2 year service on the drive leg.
Once warmed up we took her out and was getting 3500rpm not too bad however after having a play with the trim tabs she gets up to 3700rpm's quite easily and going by the chart plotter sog that read 29.9 knots (bear in mind a single kad) so I am really pleased at the results.
Towards the end of the season after I have serviced the engine I intend to remove the elbow for inspection and hopefully post my findings.

Jon