post-cancer boat buying crisis

zoidberg

Visit site
Enjoy every day of it. She's a fine looking and well-considered boat - and there are top memories there waiting for you.
Best wishes...

Edit: Come back here sometime and tell us tales of your 'ventures.

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
Lisa, please ignore Viago - he normally inhabits the Lounge where he pontificates about politics.

Just go for it, and live your sailing / boating life to the max, and don't worry about the doom merchants.
IMHO, living on and sailing a boat comes down to approx 90% common sense and 10% 'ability' - so, just go for it and follow your dream.
Or as Ellen McArthur was wont to say re her trademark expression 'A Donf!' (I think that this means 'Just do it!' in the Breton language).

viago

Visit site
Thanka all. We took a little trip to the seaside this weekend to have a quick look at some boats in between playing on the beach and cathing no fish. We saw a Beneteau First 285, Dufour 2800 and Wauqiez Elizabethan 29. The Ben having 2 cabins, meant the living space was tiny. The Dufour was ok, but there was quite a bit of 'this was my own way of doing the solar power', so I imagine that there would end up being quite a bit to undo as well as re-do. The Elizabethan is a beautiful boat but this one was in a very poor state- the guy basically bought it for the precious mooring spot in Marseille (beautiful city by the way- well worth a visit).
It was a very worthwhile trip though because it made it clear to me that although the Elizabathan would be doable, with a 7 year old and a rescue dog who was supposed to be a 'maximum' of 25 kgs and is already 31kgs at 7 months, we really need something between 30-33ft.
I also think that as is the way with cars in France, boats are generally over-priced in comparison to the UK/Holland and scandi countries. Also, as is the way with houses in France, people very rarely get a survey done and when they do they are expensive (1k+ for a 28ft boat) . For me, it would be a necessity. With that in mind, I thing I will concentrate more on the UK for the search, perhaps asking one of you nice people to do an initial visit, then having a survey done and then self-isolating on the boat if those rules are still in place by the time we come.
Could someone please clarify the post-brexit no deal situation? I note many people have said it is where the boat is on Dec 31st, so it is more the location then than the flag it is under? My thoughts are leaning towards an Irish registration- the French seem to have many more rules and regs in place (red tape is the order of the day here).
On a side note, the pup learnt that he could swim and made his way quite happily around the boats, as did the 7 year old.

my apologies, i had not read the entire thread when i posted and had not read this post.

i'm very impressed, i've been sailing and going to boat shows all my life but you already know more than me about various marks.

you are clearly a lot brighter than i am. novice to expert in one fell swoop.

well done.

good luck when you arrive here and i hope you get all the help you deserve from those here who have been so supportive.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
So thats decided then, you are going to do this thing one way or another, sailing or motoring, whichever it turns out to be; just suggest that your craft has already earned its name; 'Bonkers' see it rolls of one's tounge, 'Bonkers of ????? ' thats the first matter attended to eh ?

Oh forgot, just might mention that your Companion, Crew, Family would be much better if they can also handle the Craft especially when you might have a really tired day, after all that threatment, be very good to be able to stay in bed and regain your strength and will power when you need to

L_555

Visit site
Thanks all- I was writing/filming retrospectively from the summer- not to worry- I got a professional instructor on board as well as doing day skipper theory,,,and of course, learn(ing) from many mistakes. The joy of learning in the Med is how forgiving it is compared to the UK/Atlantic coast, especially when for the time being I am very selective about when I sail. The 7 year old it turns out is a natural, which was very handy when we had to pull up next to a superyacht to get our overboard dog back on board- he was at the helm and I was manning the fenders!

zoidberg

Visit site
.....get our overboard dog back on board- he was at the helm and I was manning the fenders!

Seems you're looking to "emulate the old Bristol Channel Pilot Cutters, crewed by 'a man, a boy, and a dog'.
"When putting a pilot ( the man ) aboard a ship - both vessels hove-to - the boy would row the pilot across in their wooden tender. The dog steered...." Saint Tom Cunliffe - allegedly.

viago

Visit site
Hello all- like many, I have been a lurker here for several months now. Last year I had a breast cancer diagnosis and 2 months ago finished the whole surgery/chemo/radiotherapy.
I think it is fair to say that rather than a mid-life (okay, that too!) crisis, I am having a post-cancer one. That is involving wanting to buy a sailing boat this year, learning to sail it, and equip it over the next twelve to eighteen months with the intention of then taking a year off with my then 8/9 year old son and dog to explore the seas of Europe.
I live in France and have seen some centurion 32's for around the 7-8k mark, but, as and when lockdown finishes, I am also more than happy to travel back to the UK or even Ireland to buy a boat...and learn to sail it.
I know it sounds ridiculous. Good friends of mine who are ex pro sailors are telling me to go for it, everyone else thinks I am bonkers. It really arises from a need to do something now- previously I have campervanned all over Europe with my son, wild camping on the beaches of France and the Italian lakes. Unfortunately, my son doesn't remember much of it and my concern is that if cancer was to come and try to take me on again in 2/3 years time, his over-riding memories of his childhood will have been 'sick-mother'. No doubt many of you think I am bonkers too, but for those that don't, any advice or indeed links to boats you think might fit the bill would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all- I was writing/filming retrospectively from the summer- not to worry- I got a professional instructor on board as well as doing day skipper theory,,,and of course, learn(ing) from many mistakes. The joy of learning in the Med is how forgiving it is compared to the UK/Atlantic coast, especially when for the time being I am very selective about when I sail. The 7 year old it turns out is a natural, which was very handy when we had to pull up next to a superyacht to get our overboard dog back on board- he was at the helm and I was manning the fenders!

well, during this year of restrictions from april til now you have achieved an incredible amount.

you are clearly a very driven person.

a great story which leaves me impressed.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Just caught up with this thread; fantabuloous!

Lisa,

I have two bits of advice: read the RYA A3 books on Day Skipper and Yachtmaster. Easy to assimilate - plus Nigel Calder's boat maintenance book for reference.
Two: everytime you are 'in' the engine compartment take a screwdriver with you. Just check the tightness of the jubilee clips. It's a sort of nip in time saves €900!

In my experience the cruiser kids learn so much without realising it. From physical skills like balance, swimming and using senses more productively, to trigonometry with charts, aero and fluid dynamics, mechanics to communication skills with other cruisers and, as yours already has, responsibility of managing several tons of boat in a confined space. In Antigua I once lent my dinghy and outboard to a 5 year old who was ferrying a whole lot of adults around for the day. He handled it better that I did! Your boy's a lucky kid.

For further inspiration read Susan Smilie's blog. Susan Smillie

Looking forward to hearing how you get on

L_555

Visit site
Just caught up with this thread; fantabuloous!

Lisa,

I have two bits of advice: read the RYA A3 books on Day Skipper and Yachtmaster. Easy to assimilate - plus Nigel Calder's boat maintenance book for reference.
Two: everytime you are 'in' the engine compartment take a screwdriver with you. Just check the tightness of the jubilee clips. It's a sort of nip in time saves €900!

In my experience the cruiser kids learn so much without realising it. From physical skills like balance, swimming and using senses more productively, to trigonometry with charts, aero and fluid dynamics, mechanics to communication skills with other cruisers and, as yours already has, responsibility of managing several tons of boat in a confined space. In Antigua I once lent my dinghy and outboard to a 5 year old who was ferrying a whole lot of adults around for the day. He handled it better that I did! Your boy's a lucky kid.

For further inspiration read Susan Smilie's blog. Susan Smillie

Looking forward to hearing how you get on
Thanks for the tips!

newtothis

Visit site
Hi @L_555 I've been following this forum thread, your adventures sound very inspirational. If you would like to get in touch I'd like to include a little news story about this in Yachting Monthly's Cruising Community pages. Please email yachtingmonthly@futurenet.com - thank you, Laura

Might be nicer to offer to pay her to write up her story herself.