Plastic classics?

D

Deleted member 36384

Rival 41C, a 1974 launch example from Peter Brett's design board. Are they a classic, in the sense of an outstanding example of it's type judged over time, probably not. Brett's designs were popular for a while in their day. They have now taken on a bit of a cult following and are in demand as they have never commanded the higher prices other marques from this era have in the second hand market.

51302663589_310d1acbb0_4k.jpg

51433221634_9b70feba15_4k.jpg
[/url]

51433446875_231c21d88d_4k.jpg

51433446930_115992540a_4k.jpg
[/url]

51433221689_7ec40a01ec_4k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Poignard

Visit site
And if the Etchells is in then you can't ignore the Daring.
( Darling was much nicer when she was navy blue)

View attachment 122098
That is a beautiful boat.

The only slight criticism I have is that the last few feet of the counter looks (to my eye) as if has been added later and looks too long.

ps imagine having to crawl inside it to repair something! You'd need a rope tied to your ankles to haul you out again.

Supertramp

Visit site
Rival 41C, a 1974 launch example from Peter Brett's design board. Are they a classic, in the sense of an outstanding example of it's type judged over time, probably not. Brett's designs were popular for a while in their day. They have now taken on a bit of a cult following and are in demand as they have never commanded the higher prices other marques from this era have in the second hand market.

51302663589_310d1acbb0_4k.jpg

51433221634_9b70feba15_4k.jpg
[/url]

51433446875_231c21d88d_4k.jpg

51433446930_115992540a_4k.jpg
[/url]

51433221689_7ec40a01ec_4k.jpg
I'd say your boat is a classic. A classic is not about price but a combination of many things which evoke a response in people summed up by good quality (meaning fit for purpose), pleasing lines and a reputation for satisfying performance. Plastic is incidental, if necessary.

Nosher

Visit site
Here's a little observation for you lot. Pretty much all of these boats are a boatyard and hoist operator's worst nightmare, with their swept back forefoots and keels, with a centre of gravity forward so that they tend to want to fall on their knees when you're blocking them up. I ran a yard for many years, and if the boat wanted to "pray" then usually so did we. She 36, Nicholson/Bowman 26, Twister, Contessa 26 etc etc

Not a criticism, my own boat is a copy if something first built in about 1870. But there's an interesting correllation - the nicer the boat is to look at, and the more seakindly it is (and that's just my opinion of course) the less it likes being out of the water!

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Nice...Is that cunliffes old boat?
No. It is a bigger sister. Cunliffe's was the first of three or four Westernman 40s.

Mine is a Westernman 50 built just after Tom's boat. It was supposed to be the first of a small series. But they never got around to making any more.
It is very close in shape to the Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter Marguerite T from 1893. Although in common with that and the other original Bristol Channel Pilot cutters the rig is taller. Also the shear line of my boat is a bit more sexy than that of Marguerite T.

Both mine (without me) and Marguerite T have crossed the Atlantic. Mine three times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

Stunning looking boat Westernman. And Code 0 to boot! Such a temptation, but alas, head over heart. Great as a private vessel and a good market as a charter vessel for the right people looking at a lifestyle choice. I knew the folks who had the Luke Powel Lizzie May and they chartered successfully but then ran out of steam due to skipper hiring and effort to maintain the business, also I thought theirs was on the small side. A live abroad skipper and mate, charter business model could work great.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Stunning looking boat Westernman. And Code 0 to boot! Such a temptation, but alas, head over heart. Great as a private vessel and a good market as a charter vessel for the right people looking at a lifestyle choice. I knew the folks who had the Luke Powel Lizzie May and they chartered successfully but then ran out of steam due to skipper hiring and effort to maintain the business, also I thought theirs was on the small side. A live abroad skipper and mate, charter business model could work great.
You could take out the forward heads and get another 3 berths in the bow area to bring the number of berths to 11.
Anyway, I am passing the boat on to the next owner via an auction. So some one is likely to end up with a super bargain.

The costs to build some thing similar today would be absolutely stratospheric.

Blueboatman

Visit site
I treated myself to a weekend on one of the smaller Luke Powell cutters some years back .
Bunch of computer techs chartered her for the yachtin’ experience but not much interested in the sail handling side. The skipper just let I who knew a little bit, play and learn , fantastic really, around the Solent only. So got to have a great play with it all

What amazed me was how well she moved in light airs. Would sail on a ‘tide wind’ no prob, albeit with a tad of lee helm.
And serene, unruffled by passing mobo wash.
We never had more than prob 8kn but you could sense the power in the rig as the wind rose to a giddy 8kn
Good luck with new-oh so lucky - custodian for yours ??