Phoenician Anchors

Uricanejack

Visit site
I have a couple of different anchors for different boats and use.

Just contemplating the CQR thread, It occurred to me my most reliable anchor is Phoenician anchor. I’ve had it for about 15 years it’s never let me down and been used by two boats regularly and a smaller one occasionally.
although I must admit portability. convenience and stowage are a bit of an issue.
I suppose design improvements have made them less fashionable but they do still work.:)

I wonder how many others still use them?

Poignard

Visit site
I have a couple of different anchors for different boats and use.

Just contemplating the CQR thread, It occurred to me my most reliable anchor is Phoenician anchor. I’ve had it for about 15 years it’s never let me down and been used by two boats regularly and a smaller one occasionally.
although I must admit portability. convenience and stowage are a bit of an issue.
I suppose design improvements have made them less fashionable but they do still work.:)

I wonder how many others still use them?
'

1602174456930.png

"Are we standing anchor watches tonight, Captain?"

"No need lads, we have a 'new generation' anchor!"

Leighb

Visit site
Only used them on the Broads, where we called them mud weights.
My only real experience of them was on a Broads holiday many years ago. One day we had listened to the shipping forecast and it was forecasting very strong winds overnight. We decide to “anchor” at the extreme upwind end of a Broad, Sallhouse I think, in the lee of some big trees. It certainly blew in the night and come morning we had dragged to the middle of the Broad. At the far end there was mayhem, several yachts that had “anchored” in the middle had piled up on the leeward shore.
Conclusion, large stones are not great anchors, certainly poor holding in mud! Didn’t St Peter have an anchoring problem.? It is a long time since I did RI.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
My only real experience of them was on a Broads holiday many years ago. One day we had listened to the shipping forecast and it was forecasting very strong winds overnight. We decide to “anchor” at the extreme upwind end of a Broad, Sallhouse I think, in the lee of some big trees. It certainly blew in the night and come morning we had dragged to the middle of the Broad. At the far end there was mayhem, several yachts that had “anchored” in the middle had piled up on the leeward shore.
Conclusion, large stones are not great anchors, certainly poor holding in mud! Didn’t St Peter have an anchoring problem.? It is a long time since I did RI.
No, St Paul! See Acts 27:27 - 28:5

rptb1

tammynorie.wordpress.com
It occurred to me my most reliable anchor is Phoenician anchor.
I wonder. Most of the time my boat is held in place by the weight of the anchor chain. But when things get serious, it's the anchor that stops the chain moving too far by biting the bottom. So I suspect any big weight works quite well, but I'd want some bite in a storm.

RupertW

Visit site
I wonder. Most of the time my boat is held in place by the weight of the anchor chain. But when things get serious, it's the anchor that stops the chain moving too far by biting the bottom. So I suspect any big weight works quite well, but I'd want some bite in a storm.
It really isn’t being held by the chain. Even if it’s lying on the ground it is the anchor which is ultimately holding it. It’s very easy to confirm that for yourself by putting the boat end of the chain over when there is little current or wind and trying to lie to that. The boat will just drift in small steps even with the whole chain out.