Orca attack

Beneteau381

Visit site
It may be quite relevant as I suggested in post #34. Just curious.
I contacted the RYA earlier to re inforce my thoughts on a central database of when and where they are. I got a rude, hectoring person who refused to let me make the point. I have since contacted the acting CEO office to make a complaint and am awaiting a phone call. They are now aware of this thread.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I contacted the RYA earlier to re inforce my thoughts on a central database of when and where they are. I got a rude, hectoring person who refused to let me make the point. I have since contacted the acting CEO office to make a complaint and am awaiting a phone call. They are now aware of this thread.
I glad there are awhere of this thread , so they can read this , I was a member of the RYA for over 27 years I stop being a member 15 years ago when they stop taken cruisers needs in consideration.
Maybe it's time they act on behalf of all members and not just races and home sailors .

Visit site
Good - I'd still rather see the RYA sponsor some proper research into sea grass growth in the UK than Orca problems around Iberia
[/QUOTE
That raises two points Are they mutually exclusive i.e. Is the RYA incapable of doing both. Is the seagrass problem likely o affect more members ?.

dunedin

Visit site
But they RYA cover UK waters and sailors. As these attacks are off Spain and Portugal, surely it is their sailing authorities you should be contacting, as their waters and most of the boats won’t have any UK connection. Have you contacted the relevant national sailing authorities yet?

greeny

Visit site
But they RYA cover UK waters and sailors. As these attacks are off Spain and Portugal, surely it is their sailing authorities you should be contacting, as their waters and most of the boats won’t have any UK connection. Have you contacted the relevant national sailing authorities yet?
Maybe I should stop paying my subs then? Along with hundreds of others. I won't though, because I believe you are incorrect in your first statement if you meant they 'only' cover UK waters and sailors. :)

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

I understand your thoughts but there are lots of us sailing the area who have paid RYA subs for decades. If they don't support all members, maybe we should stop paying.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Anyone wanted to sail NS or SN who can't want till this all goes away , which may be never,
only option is for now anyway , keep in shallow waters and get ready to go into astern the moment there any interaction .
To me anyway it seen is the only thing that reduces getting attack or reduce the attack it self.
As far as the RYA is concern I won't hold my breath ,
I'm not a CA member but do anyone know if they have any interest in working with the Portuguese of Spanish or are they like the RYA give given advice,

wingcommander

Visit site
Quite a few educated/ uneducated suggestions as to why here so here's my tuppence worth. I reckon maybe a slight possibility the orca mistake the slow moving , surface floating ,forward moving sailing boat as one of their own ,possibly injured and are investigating as to why. Then when or if a reverse motion happens the obvious is realised and the go merrily on their way.
Let's face it the only mammals that attack for no reason at all .............well !

cherod

Visit site
Quite a few educated/ uneducated suggestions as to why here so here's my tuppence worth. I reckon maybe a slight possibility the orca mistake the slow moving , surface floating ,forward moving sailing boat as one of their own ,possibly injured and are investigating as to why. Then when or if a reverse motion happens the obvious is realised and the go merrily on their way.
Let's face it the only mammals that attack for no reason at all .............well !
Is it proven that the “ interaction “ is an attack ? Is it proven that going in reverse is helping as yet ?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Is it proven that the “ interaction “ is an attack ? Is it proven that going in reverse is helping as yet ?

I don't know why they attack. Going astern has worked for some, this from MOA forum about an attack around midnight - The attack lasted for about 30 minutes and ended after we went in reverse on the advice of Lisbon Coast Guard.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Nothing as far as I read here or any where else as proved any thing ,
Even going into shallow waters although I think there only been one problem in shallow waters .
But several reports have now come to light from boat interaction that gone in astern that the attack if we wish to call it that , stop very soon after ,
I only manage to contact one owner Steve with the moody but when ask how long was it that that it stop after going in astern , he couldn't say as he was down below looking what damage there was .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I don't know why they attack. Going astern has worked for some, this from MOA forum about an attack around midnight - The attack lasted for about 30 minutes and ended after we went in reverse on the advice of Lisbon Coast Guard.
The going astern. Advise is quite new and since it been given yacht that have used it all reported has said the attack stopped , now if the attack was about to stop anyway , who knows ,
But no other advice given ( stop engine, drop sails, turn all equipment off ) as done anything to stop an interaction .
Not sure about anyone else here but if it was me , going astern would be my first reaction and if possible before an attack start .

cherod

Visit site
definately worth trying and now as most people will be aware of the tactic ( surely ) more will be trying it . and reporting

Last edited:

cherod

Visit site
The going astern. Advise is quite new and since it been given yacht that have used it all reported has said the attack stopped , now if the attack was about to stop anyway , who knows ,
But no other advice given ( stop engine, drop sails, turn all equipment off ) as done anything to stop an interaction .
Not sure about anyone else here but if it was me , going astern would be my first reaction and if possible before an attack start .
certainly upon first sighting, unfortunatly ( from what i have read ) the interaction ( " attack " ) is unannounced .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
certainly upon first sighting, unfortunatly ( from what i have read ) the interaction ( " attack " ) is unannounced .
Your right in saying their are unannounced but in day light at times you will see them in the distance, now I'm not saying every time we see Orca we should go in astern but along that part of coast line , it's a consideration.
May not be for everyone but I would if I happen to be under motor at the time.
Probably we won't hear much over the coming months until the route is heavy used again in spring.