• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

Oops

johnalison

The RAF have mislaid a bomb from the last conflict. It's only 12,000lb but might make a bit of a mess if it goes off. They've just found it in Swinoujscie, which I know quite well. I have sailed over it a couple of times and cycled past a few times too, using the ferry and bridge near the centre of the circle. Luckily, it is a little out of town near Karsibor, where there is a memorial to a crashed Lancaster in the woods. Let's hope that it goes OK.
'World first': Polish navy bid to defuse one of WWII's largest bombs
EkGh7JfWAAEmpdK.jpg

Sea-Fever

Local residents opting to stay put rather than go to the sports hall laid on for them in case of covid. Choices choices.....

johnalison

I believe they were test-dropped off Orfordness and were supersonic when in free fall.

JumbleDuck

Just think, the Richard Montgomery could be 300 times (1500 tonnes vs 5 tonnes) as much fun when she goes up ...

Norman_E

Was that really a full explosion of about 5 tons of HE? I don't think so. I think that was in fact just a deflagration, as I would expect an explosion that size to produce a mushroom cloud.

JumbleDuck

Was that really a full explosion of about 5 tons of HE? I don't think so. I think that was in fact just a deflagration, as I would expect an explosion that size to produce a mushroom cloud.
According to news reports, they were trying for a steady deflagration but got a detonation instead. This video seems to show a much smaller explosion (or series of much smaller explosions). Anyone here understand Polish? Google translate says the title means "The "Tallboy" bomb neutralization operation is in progress" so perhaps they were trying to blow up the detonator mechanism?

jamie N

My FIL used to go fishing on the Isle of Harris in a similar, but more restrained manner. Er, apparently.

johnalison

It certainly looks like several explosions, with the largest first.

In the film in #12 there is a WW2 submarine pen to the left of the canal. Nowadays it is quiet except for the odd angler. The whole area is geographically interesting because it is a reverse delta, caused by water flowing sometimes in from the Baltic. The river and canal run south to a lake, or bodden, and up to Stettin and carries regular shipping, and the odd yacht.

'08 (269) copy.jpg

Corribee Boy

Still explosive after 80 years? Makes one proud to be British.

Someone should use it in a Brexit thread to demonstrate our superiority.