Onan generator fault 13

jrudge

Visit site
Generator playing up. 3 blinks and then secondary code 13. Unable to maintain voltage.

Engine runs for 15 min or so but is lightly surging with voltage going up and down to match. It then starts to die and stops.

Google throws up a mixed bag of suggestions. He only thing I can find that worked for someone was adjusting the governor screws ( I don't know where they are yet ) or a genera call Onan ... which is all well. And good but on anchor and it's 10pm!

Any suggestions ?

ARE

Visit site
Code 13 is undervoltage, as others have said this may well be a fuel issue relating to the surging you mentioned. Does it immediately restart?

What model of generator do you have?

ARE

Visit site
It's the 17.5kva QD from 2003-4. Kubota mota. MDKBR, I think.
Early models had an gold coloured electronic governor actuator which would stick causing the engine to hunt, this was replaced by a silver actuator which resolves this hunting. You can as a temporary fix strip the gold actuator and clean the main shaft to ensure smooth operation and this stops the hunting.

jrudge

Visit site
It is an Mdkbe type.

This morning. It ran perfectly for 10 mins then started to hunt a little. Over the next 10 min the hunting increased and increased such that I had a 20-30 volt variation and I shut it down.

I then restarted At once. Same hunting.

Waited 10 min. Started normally with little if any hunting. I turned it off.

I don't have a fuel filter so trying to get a berth to buy on and see if that resolves. Running clogs filters and then they relax when off ?

jrudge

Visit site
Early models had an gold coloured electronic governor actuator which would stick causing the engine to hunt, this was replaced by a silver actuator which resolves this hunting. You can as a temporary fix strip the gold actuator and clean the main shaft to ensure smooth operation and this stops the hunting.

Where is the actuator please and if fuel filter does not resolve we now know what my afternoon looks like !

jrudge

Visit site
Really struggling with this.

The actuator rear bolt almost impossible to release. But done.

Now enclosure blocks removal. There is an outer black but and a silver pin. Is that correct. Now taking gen to but in situ

ARE

Visit site
Really struggling with this.

The actuator rear bolt almost impossible to release. But done.

Now enclosure blocks removal. There is an outer black but and a silver pin. Is that correct. Now taking gen to but in situ
Round cylinder held in with two Allen caps, early unit was gold and black. Remove two screws and loosen end panel. Withdraw the actuator and its long shaft. Take the two small Allen screws out of the black section and then it should come apart. Polish the shaft and reassemble. Make sure it has a very smooth action in and out.

jrudge

Visit site
Thanks. We got it out. Of the 20 Allen keys I had there was not one the right size.

The pin was moving with no obvious restriction so put back in.

Onan on tomorrow so see what they say ?

Thanks for your help

jrudge

Visit site
The storey so far.

Changed filters and no change.

Removed actuator. Seems free ( more follows ) but did not in the 20 Allen keys I have have one that could take it to bits.

Called engineer. He bypassed fuel pump and had a clear line on his pump. Air in fuel ( interesting tip that with a clear pipe you can see it)

He needed access to the fuel valve at the top of the tank. I had forgotten there was an access hatch in the saloon floor for this purpose but a call to aquatom put me right. Tank connections tightened and air disappears but the problem does not.

ARE said actuator must be very free. Engineer says actuator is very hot.

Current theory is that the actuator is getting hot in use and then seizing up ( my favourite option ). Next is a faulty pcb but given it runs fine for 10 min until warm I doubt this but who knows.

Next challenge in this boating Mecca is finding the part. Given there are probably 10,000 Onan generators here I would think that was easy but no! At the moment trying to get a pet to my girlfriend to bring out on Sunday.

Good news is I can get 20 mins power to cook dinner but no ac !

Many thanks for aquatom and ARE for their help to date

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
The storey so far.

Changed filters and no change.

Removed actuator. Seems free ( more follows ) but did not in the 20 Allen keys I have have one that could take it to bits.

Called engineer. He bypassed fuel pump and had a clear line on his pump. Air in fuel ( interesting tip that with a clear pipe you can see it)

He needed access to the fuel valve at the top of the tank. I had forgotten there was an access hatch in the saloon floor for this purpose but a call to aquatom put me right. Tank connections tightened and air disappears but the problem does not.

ARE said actuator must be very free. Engineer says actuator is very hot.

Current theory is that the actuator is getting hot in use and then seizing up ( my favourite option ). Next is a faulty pcb but given it runs fine for 10 min until warm I doubt this but who knows.

Next challenge in this boating Mecca is finding the part. Given there are probably 10,000 Onan generators here I would think that was easy but no! At the moment trying to get a pet to my girlfriend to bring out on Sunday.

Good news is I can get 20 mins power to cook dinner but no ac !

Many thanks for aquatom and ARE for their help to date

What are you going to do, put it on a little treadmill with a dynamo to power the A/C :)?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

What are you going to do, put it on a little treadmill with a dynamo to power the A/C :)?

No I think the idea is that the girlfriend powers the treadmill and the pet comforts J;)

jrudge

Visit site
Haha

So the part is on custom manufacture in the uk for about £600 and 40days delivery

Managed to get the right Allen key of the boat next door and stripped it down under ARE guidance ( he is on holiday so top man ) but the same.

A part has been found in Madrid for circa e1000 delivered ( for a car it would be £30 and you would say that was dear !) but of course here is no gtee that that is the fault.

I was pretty convinced it was the actuator but having stripped it is so simple it is difficult to see that could be it.

Parts are yours once ordered and of course have a lead time.

Emmmm

Jeremy

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Sorry to hear this J but par for the course in the Med during August. Its just impossible to get anything done quickly