Odd request

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Those who follow the East Coast forum will know that my wife died back in February, and we have just buried her.

I'm posting here because I think this is the best place to ask this question!

I need to make a wooden grave marker, no bigger than a sheet of A3 paper, for her grave. It must be wood, and the burial ground - a woodland burial ground - sets limits on the size. For other reasons (I plan to use a CNC machine to create it) the wood must not be wider than 350mm. Thickness is less critical, but 1"-2" seems about right
I need to ask two questions:
  1. What wood will best resist being outdoors in all weathers?
  2. Given that I only need a small piece, where can I best source it? There is a local hardwood merchant (AC Timber - Joinery Timber Products), but the minimum order is about 2 metres. I can live with that if necessary
  3. They only allow natural finishes such as Danish Oil, Tung Oil or Linseed. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
I would consider elm, it resists dampness. Green oak is another choice.

I will look around the saw mill and see if we have any unused pieces around. It will be a 2 or 3 days before I am over there.

Postage cost only, AP.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I would consider elm, it resists dampness. Green oak is another choice.

I will look around the saw mill and see if we have any unused pieces around. It will be a 2 or 3 days before I am over there.

Postage cost only, AP.
That's very kind, and of course I will be happy to pay whatever is right.
Sorry for your loss. I'm no wood expert, but being a boating forum my thoughts start and end with Teak/Iroko

A woodland burial ground sounds lovely. I didn't know such places existed.
There are several around the UK; the idea is that the body returns to the environment. As my wife and I care greatly about the environment in a rational way, this seemed the right option for her. This is the one we used: Arbory Trust

DownWest

Visit site
I have a chunk of teak, currently serving as a step between workshops. 25 x 80 x 3 cm. I would happily donate it for your use. Problem is getting it to you. I will check with a friend who I send lighting bits to in London. He has accts with the couriers.

Again, I only know you from these pages, but found it very sad to hear of your sudden loss.

Andrew

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I have a chunk of teak, currently serving as a step between workshops. 25 x 80 x 3 cm. I would happily donate it for your use. Problem is getting it to you. I will check with a friend who I send lighting bits to in London. He has accts with the couriers.

Again, I only know you from these pages, but found it very sad to hear of your sudden loss.

Andrew
That's very kind. I live in Littleport, near Ely, and of course I will meet any costs you incur. But that sounds like a useful sized piece of wood - are you sure you can spare it?

Habebty

Visit site
I have some similar sized hardwood slabs, which are spare. I am working in Ely next Sunday (28th) so Littleport is no problem.
PM me and we can swap contact details.

Pete

DownWest

Visit site
I will send a photo as after looking at it, I noticed some holes drilled in it. Been stepping on it for 15 yrs and not noticed... Friend liberated lots of it from a defunct NHS lab.

Doubt that I will find a use, if I haven't in 15 yrs.

Blueboatman

Visit site
If I may
Firstly that is very sad . I am sorry for your loss and have always enjoyed your contributions and steadfast integrity -do please keep it up .
Secondly I would go with the teak if it were I . Then I suppose Iroko or good old English oak
But aged teak will be the real deal , durable and seasoned . It should not need any oil finish at all.
And thirdly I can recommend Parcel2go as a collect and deliver service -their driver will arrive with a label printer , pick it up and deliver
But you would need to register with them and know the dimensions
I have recently used them to deliver some 10kg of awkwardly assembled , obscure rotovator tines , no probs at all , cheap and quick too . I hope this can help

Parcel Delivery & Courier Services | Send a Parcel | Cheap Delivery | Parcel2Go

There was a recent-ish thread on using couriers and of course the experiences varied enormously , just like boats then .

Sincerest wishes at this time, Tim

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
First of all, thanks for the many generous offers. Habebty was working near me today, and very kindly gave me two lovely pieces of teak, which should see me out! I am in the middle of reorganizing my garage as a workshop, and I need to do further tests with my new Snapmaker 2, but I'll try and remember to post here when it's all done.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
An update. Thanks to Habebty's generosity, and some concentrated tests with gash bits of wood, I'm shortly going to cut the plaque. Just one more test, I hope, and then I'll set the big run going - I expect it to take nearly 24 hours on the machine.

Here's a test piece; I'm still working on the smaller text. For those who read Chinese, yes, I know her name in Chinese characters is in the wrong order!IMG_20210401_212917480_HDR_2.jpg

One issue that the wood and varnish experts might be able to advise me on. The rules of the burial ground state that any wood finishes must be biodegradable. They suggest linseed oil, Danish oil or Tung oil, so I've decided to finish the plaque with Tung oil, and have got some in hand. I will apply many coats. However, I'd like to fill the bottom of the carving with a dark colour, to make the lettering stand out. I've got some dark coloured woodstain - a Ronseal product, I think. However, I suspect that it is polyurethane based, and so against the rules. I daresay I could get away with it, but I'd know about it, and would feel I'd cheated. Any suggestions?

IMG_20210401_212917480_HDR_2.jpg