New boat ordered - Saxdor 320

Flyingspanner

Visit site
Yes on the Axopar spec I considered I went for single 300, it’s a V8 and slightly newer technology than the other V6 offerings from Mercury.

hopefully I will get to test one with both engine combinations before I have to make a desision ?

Bouba

Visit site
Get two engines and joystick control. Yamaha do a single engine joystick, it combines with the bow thruster. Reviews are positive

ontheplane

Visit site
Maybe its only me - but used I'd go for a single 300 over a boat with twin 225's - I just think the fuel burn would be too high on twins.

Fully appreciate I am not the target market mind!

[2068]

Visit site
A very un-scientific survey of the local marina suggests that almost all the larger outboard powered boats have twin engines.
There are plenty of single-engined outboard boats as well, but these appear to be smaller.

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2863.JPGIMG_2862.JPGIMG_2859.JPG

[2068]

Visit site
And while we are debating whether two engines is "too many engines", there is also the the American approach to consider.
I know that fuel prices are somewhat lower in the USA, but even so.

Fuel consumption could be 750 litres/hr if you opened the taps :oops:

7149058_20191121111004790_1_XLARGE.jpg

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site

julians

Visit site
I dont think the fuel consumption with a twin setup would be vastly more than a single of the same power at cruising speed, and you get the enhanced safety factor of having two engines. But the servicing costs will be double, and it is twice as likely that something on one of the engines will break.

Bouba

Visit site
I understand budget constraints as well as the next guy, I’ve been a single engined boater all my boating career. I’d go twins.

Flyingspanner

Visit site
Yes the head says single is all we need, while the heart says twins would give you a big smile until you go to the fuel dock ? - to go from twin V6 225 to twin V8 300 is another 10k ?

Fuel consumption at cruise is not much different
7B8D3CE3-F6E6-4E26-9745-D5DD75E27A5A.jpeg

z1ppy

Visit site
heya, glad you got ordered. The Saxdor looks a great boat and can’t wait to see one. roll on delivery, could be a long summer!

as for engines, Interesting, you know we have an axopar 28 with single 300 and for me it’s perfect, would not go for the twin but then we are a bit smaller than the 320.. I still think I would opt for the 350 or even 400 If Possible on the 320 and away from the twin set up..

my guess is both engines will be fed from single tank so any fuel issue will take both engines? Double servicing costs, fuel burn Will likely be higher than A single as same cruise speed but let’s be honest, we don’t buy boats for economy!

all the plus sides of 2 engines are true but a well maintained modern single outboard would be my choice.

look forward to some build pics.. congratulations!

[2068]

Visit site
Yes the head says single is all we need, while the heart says twins would give you a big smile until you go to the fuel dock ? - to go from twin V6 225 to twin V8 300 is another 10k ?

Fuel consumption at cruise is not much different
View attachment 113093

There are two interesting things about those figures:
- As you say, fuel consumption at the same cruise speed is about the same
- The RPM needed to maintain a 23kt cruise with the single engine ... 4500rpm!

Also, acceleration with twin engined setup will be substantially better.

Bouba

Visit site
But we aren't comparing like with like.

What would the comparison be a single 400 vs twin 225?
The most interesting comparison is that the 400 is nearly twice the price of the 225. Of course servicing and consumption have to be taken in to account. But resale is probably most important, so which would the second hand market prefer ?

TonyR123

Visit site
for me I would go for the twin engine setup. Fuel difference is fairly small but at least with 2 engines you can get back if one of the engine has an issue. That and the easier manoeuvring would be my choice for 2 engines every time. Admittedly there is a larger initial outlay but with 'boat maths' that is something easily ignored :)

ontheplane

Visit site
The most interesting comparison is that the 400 is nearly twice the price of the 225. Of course servicing and consumption have to be taken in to account. But resale is probably most important, so which would the second hand market prefer ?

Yes, given that, twin would be better. Amazed one 400 is twice the 225 price though.

Whats a 350?

Other threads that may be of interest