Nazi Goering's Glamour Yacht "CARIN II" Found Lying in Red Sea

Metronicity

www.welcometowallyworld.com
Nazi Goering\'s Glamour Yacht \"CARIN II\" Found Lying in Red Sea

Want to join me in rescuing a grand old lady of the sea? Hermann Goering's 90 foot motor yacht is waiting to be restored. Built in 1937, she was seized by General Montgomery at the end of WWII as a spoil of war and given to the British Royal Family who used her as a pleasure boat for 15 years. Then given back to Goering's daughter...sold to the Hitler Diaries guy...ended up in Egypt and was seized by Gaddafi in 1987. She's been at a mooring in the Red Sea since then. Largely intact. Motors work. Hull sound. Shafts sabotaged when she was in dry dock. Needs a lot of work but what a vessel! Have a look at the photos here -
Goerings "CARIN II"
Leave me a message.

Seagreen

Visit site
Re: Nazi Goering\'s Glamour Yacht \"CARIN II\" Found Lying in Red Sea

Seen your pics. Sure is an ugly vessel, so not my thing at all. However, would be a great rebuild opportunity and especially funny if it could be owned and re-flagged as Israeli...

That would make Goering's ghost purple with rage!
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

C

Chrusty1

Would make a great bonfire!

B175Chris

Visit site

I disagree, it'd make the bonfire look ugly /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cliffordpope

Visit site

She looks nice in profile and in front, especially in the old pictures - a typical 30s motor yacht. But the stern is much too wide - the designer seemed to run out of elegance at that point.

BTW Gaddafi is Libya, not Egypt.

Carin, usually spelt Karin, was Goring's first wife. He forced his second wife to live in her shadow, naming his grotesque hunting lodge Karinhall in her memory. That, unlike his yacht, was demolished after the war.

C

Chrusty1

Regardless of the aesthetics of the thing, I think it should be burned, or towed out to some point off soundings and sent to the bottom. The world doesn't need another Nazi icon!

scottie

Visit site

I always thought that Goerings yacht was called Sea Wolf and was owned by the Simpson Lawrence family and was kept on the clyde for many years 1950-70s era but its likely he had at least a couple.

Another boat that was a prize was Lady Prudence which when she was stripped back to varnish was found to have been machine gunned and was dotted alover with patches .

ccscott49

Visit site

So you would like to burn "Nord wind" as well? A boat is not her owner, she wasnt owned by Nazi's for very long!!

C

Chrusty1

[ QUOTE ]
So you would like to burn "Nord wind" as well? A boat is not her owner, she wasnt owned by Nazi's for very long!!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was Scottie, I think I would be scratching my head a bit right now? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

absit_omen

Visit site

I love the bit about him commissioning the boat to mark his second marriage to Emmy but naming it after his first wife, Karin!

What sensitivity. No wonder he went so far in spite of the pastel uniforms!

Sneds

Visit site

Shouldn't it be about the boat not the politics? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

C

Chrusty1

Should it?.........I think it's about a lot more than just politics, but you have your point of view, and I have mine. Look, if it was just a windfall, from some German sailing club, I wouldn't feel as strongly about it, but that boat, at least as far as I am concerned, represents a lot more than that, maybe some of us have longer memories than others?

No Regrets

Visit site

FFS, he's dead.

You can all go round burning Beetles and old Boats, but in case you didn't notice, we won the war.

Although I wonder if it was worth it sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Metronicity

www.welcometowallyworld.com

Yes I'm aware of where Libya is but that's where the beginning of the end started - have you even followed the link and read the story?

Seagreen

Visit site

Thats why having it sailing under an Israeli ensign would be so choice. 1930's mobos aren't my thing (see avatar), but they are better looking than todays gin palaces. so I'd like to think that someone out there does have the spare cash and the inclination to see her restored.

Sure, I think she's ugly but if in the right hands, and with the right new owner, she'd be great... if you like that sort of thing.

I couldn't resist this. Just enjoy the irony...

carin101.jpg

oldfrank

Visit site

Speaking of the 3rd Reich and much closer to home. Herr Mescherschmit's (confident he spelled it differently) sailing yacht is decaying in a yard in Great Yarmouth. Really bad condition - worse - doesn't look as if it was up to much when it was new. OF

Sixpence

Visit site

I don't think I have particularly bad taste, but checked with my wife just in case /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and we both think she has the makings of a very nice boat, and at 90ft I'm very tempted to get involved (if only I had the money) . Niether of us can understand what this hang up some people have is all about. So she was built for a senior German officer in WWII, so what, she's a nice boat and I wouldn't care if she was built for A.H. himself, I just see a nice boat
I do like the irony though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2nd_apprentice

Visit site

Why not get Erich Honecker's "Ostseeland"?
70's commie style and CCTV in every room!

2455581436_bb706f355e_o.jpg

2454753169_db8d3ed2e2_o.jpg

2454753207_603b19e61c_o.jpg

Ah, that luxury! Those east German dictators sure knew how to seriously show off and throw up in style.
But if that's just not flamboyant enough for you get Saddam's gin palace!

2454753077_518cba434b_o.jpg

2454753351_6cd444c7f6_o.jpg

2454753489_fa8fec1aa9_o.jpg

Perhaps adding Pol Pot's cutlery and Idi Amin's fridge (for chilled drinks so everybody keeps a cool head) would be nice too, not?